Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2017 3:36:28 PM EDT
Can some of you, with M5 lowers, please post pics of the inside of your mag well for me? I'm having an issue with mine and cannot seem to get it resolved through Aero.
Here is my issue:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_592/283123_M5e1-lower-dropping-mags.html

I'm hoping they are not all this way, and that mine if just one example (as others said they had this issue, and it was corrected somehow).
Any pics would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Gimme me sec and I'll throw up a few

As you can see I'm holding the whole rifle by just the mag and it's seated just fine.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:59:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you! I'm not comfortable with that little of mag catch protrusion (although that's more than mine had!), so I've decided to not use that lower as AP is unwilling to correct it. So I'll be using a different manufacturer from now on (reasons are in the linked, on going thread).
Thank you for taking the time to post your pic for me. Much appreciated!
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine is doing the same thing.... Just built the damn thing and was going to run it in a 3-Gun match on Saturday
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Bam! Censored. Bummer.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#5]
you could try the 9mm Colt-style AR mag release.
below: 9mm on left, regular AR-15 on right.

Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I wasn't too happy with how the magazine catch was on mine either, but put a AR-10B mag catch in and it seems better. Gun is still in pieces so I don't know how it really works with live fire, but it seems better.

Mag Catch at DSG
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I wasn't comfortable with the mag catch on mine (had the same issue with any catch I put in it) and knew it would bother me forever, so I sold that rifle.
I'm now finishing my PA10 G2 build, which does not have that issue (nor would any other manufacturer that uses the correct specs for the mag catch). When I asked them why their mag catch specs are unlike any other manufacturers (I've handled Armalite, DPMS, Windham, PSA, etc... they ALL have the mag catch protruding into the lower properly), they replied (in my industry thread): "We use our OWN specs which we have determined to be best for OUR lower". In other words, they are using a known spec for mags (DPMS/SR25/LR-308), yet refuse to use the proper specs for the catch depth to work with those mags I repetitively explained that, using a known spec mag, they should be using the known spec catch depth meant to mate with it. They don't seem to grasp that, and that's sad (and scary at the same time). They tried to explain it as the mag well dimensions determine mag fit and the catch should just have the "nub" catching the mag divot. I tired to explain that's entirely false, that the catch both STEADIES the mag by clamping it (with it's entire bar) against the opposing mag well wall, AND that also ensures you get FULL catch "nub" depth INTO the mag divot (also allowing self adjustment for out of variance mags). They acted like I was from outer space, and it's scary to think they are "engineering" lowers if they obviously have no understanding of how the parts are meant to work together.

I'm done with AP after that statement and will no longer use ANYTHING they produce.

ETA: It's a shame, because it's a beautiful rifle. Even more of a shame is that many people are having the same exact issue, and rather than admit a mistake, they cling to their "OWN specs" concept that obviously doesn't work. One simple little detail, like mag catch depth, can make or break a rifle... and that would be a VERY simple change for them to make (which would make that rifle insanely awesome). But they won't. They can't admit they made an error, and that's why I will never deal with them again.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:41:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wasn't comfortable with the mag catch on mine (had the same issue with any catch I put in it) and knew it would bother me forever, so I sold that rifle.
I'm now finishing my PA10 G2 build, which does not have that issue (nor would any other manufacturer that uses the correct specs for the mag catch). When I asked them why their mag catch specs are unlike any other manufacturers (I've handled Armalite, DPMS, Windham, PSA, etc... they ALL have the mag catch protruding into the lower properly), they replied (in my industry thread): "We use our OWN specs which we have determined to be best for OUR lower". In other words, they are using a known spec for mags (DPMS/SR25/LR-308), yet refuse to use the proper specs for the catch depth to work with those mags I repetitively explained that, using a known spec mag, they should be using the known spec catch depth meant to mate with it. They don't seem to grasp that, and that's sad (and scary at the same time). They tried to explain it as the mag well dimensions determine mag fit and the catch should just have the "nub" catching the mag divot. I tired to explain that's entirely false, that the catch both STEADIES the mag by clamping it (with it's entire bar) against the opposing mag well wall, AND that also ensures you get FULL catch "nub" depth INTO the mag divot (also allowing self adjustment for out of variance mags). They acted like I was from outer space, and it's scary to think they are "engineering" lowers if they obviously have no understanding of how the parts are meant to work together.

I'm done with AP after that statement and will no longer use ANYTHING they produce.

ETA: It's a shame, because it's a beautiful rifle. Even more of a shame is that many people are having the same exact issue, and rather than admit a mistake, they cling to their "OWN specs" concept that obviously doesn't work. One simple little detail, like mag catch depth, can make or break a rifle... and that would be a VERY simple change for them to make (which would make that rifle insanely awesome). But they won't. They can't admit they made an error, and that's why I will never deal with them again.
View Quote
They used to make pretty good AR10B receivers, but totally dropped the ball with the M5.

Sad deal.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#9]
On your magazine catch, take a dremel and grind down the metal located around the base of the shaft that the magazine release button screws onto.  You will have to do a little at a time and test it.  Mine would drop the mags when pressing forward on the mag release button.  I dremelled enough to fix it.  Mine does not drop mags now.  Lancer magazines were the easiest to drop before the dremelling.  I wasn't too happy about having to do this, but I have gotten over it and my gun shoots real well.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top