Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2017 10:09:20 AM EDT
Am I right that I can use an AR15 carbine buffer tube with the short 308 buffer and 308 buffer spring in my DPMS profile 308 ? I am using a carbine stock not an A2. Will this work? What is the difference in 308 buffer tube and AR15 buffer tube? This is a PSA lower receiver (. Gen2 ) and Aero Precision upper receiver
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#1]
With an AR15 carbine tube, you have to use the short 308 buffer.

You can also use an AR10 or VLTOR A5 tube and stick to regular AR15 carbine buffers.

As far as springs, I'll let someone else comment.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#2]
You can use a standard, carbine AR15 buffer tube. You will need the short .308 buffer and a .308 carbine spring.

The Armalite .308 carbine buffer tube is 3/4" longer which allows the use of an AR15 buffer and Armalite rifle length .308 spring.

The advantage of the longer, AR15 buffer is it has more weights. If all of these weights are tungsten (H3) it will be heavier than a small .308 buffer with tungsten weights. The heavier buffer will aid in reliability and recoil management.

Either system should work for you.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:34:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Will an AR-15 (CAR) stock fit an AR-10?

Yes (with caveats). You will need to use either the carbine AR-15 carbine lower receiver extension (buffer tube) with an AR-10 spring and a shorter AR-10 buffer (to allow for the longer AR-10 bolt carrier group) or an AR-15 stock and the AR-10 buffer tube (but it will not collapse all the way). The A2 stocks are the same. The AR-10 rifle buffer is a little shorter in the AR-10 rifle.

From Armalite Website
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Armalite is a bad example as their buffers are longer.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes (with caveats). You will need to use either the carbine AR-15 carbine lower receiver extension (buffer tube) with an AR-10 spring and a shorter AR-10 buffer (to allow for the longer AR-10 bolt carrier group) or an AR-15 stock and the AR-10 buffer tube (but it will not collapse all the way). The A2 stocks are the same. The AR-10 rifle buffer is a little shorter in the AR-10 rifle.

From Armalite Website
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone, I think I've got things coming together right. 1st 308 build and want to do it right the first time. World of knowledge here amongst deplorables.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You can also use an AR10 or VLTOR A5 tube and stick to regular AR15 carbine buffers.

As far as springs, I'll let someone else comment.
View Quote
that is what i use and seems to work great. i bought a 6.5 oz carbine length buffer from slash and use the 308 spring that comes with it but its basically the same length as a rifle spring, just a higher rate i guess.  

i wasnt very fond of the shorty 308 buffer in the carbine tube. just too much recoil in the 308 and the bushy barrel i have might have the gas port just a tad too large.

if you like rifle length stocks you can run those with a rifle length tube, spring and buffer from a 556 without issue. it had just enough rearward travel to lock the bolt back.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Really,  The H3 buffer on the right is from an Armalite AR10 with sliding stock and on the left is a standard H buffer from an AR15.

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

From Armalite Website
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Really,  The H3 buffer on the right is from an Armalite AR10 with sliding stock and on the left is a standard H buffer from an AR15.
http://i.imgur.com/kvuaoFK.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/V4WvIoi.jpg
View Quote
I think he meant compared to other 308 buffers, they are longer. Longer being normal length 556 buffer. DPMS and Slash's 308 buffers are too short for the a5 tube and the bolt carrier will hit the receiver.

As far as spring when using the vltor a5 tube and standard buffer(I use an h3 in my lr308) use an Armalite 308 rifle spring.(part #- armea1095)
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#9]
dump a mag you might need a stronger spring and heavier buffer.

I had to go  with a jp +10 and kak 5.5 carbine and went adjustable gas. the bcg could come back to fast and hit the lower receiver
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can use a standard, carbine AR15 buffer tube. You will need the short .308 buffer and a .308 carbine spring.

The Armalite .308 carbine buffer tube is 3/4" longer which allows the use of an AR15 buffer and Armalite rifle length .308 spring.

The advantage of the longer, AR15 buffer is it has more weights. If all of these weights are tungsten (H3) it will be heavier than a small .308 buffer with tungsten weights. The heavier buffer will aid in reliability and recoil management.

Either system should work for you.
View Quote
I run the Armalite carbine set up on my DPMS and it has never had an issue.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top