Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2017 11:02:00 AM EDT
AR-10 mags for sale

How do you determine which mags will fit which lowers?

For example, the Alexandira Pro-Fab lowers will work with a P-Mag P20.  Which says it is compatible with a SR-25/M110 mag.

Is this the same mag design as referenced by Copes Distributing in aluminum?  The visual appearance is different.

And how about the differences in hardness in aluminum and steel.  Will steel causes excessive wearing on an aluminum lower (7075-T6) ?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I didnt see aluminimum on their sight, just SS. No issues with wear. What lower are you using? Is it dpms/sr style or AR-10?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Most lowers on the market today utilize the SR25 pattern mags.  Most mags on the market, including the one you linked to, are SR25 pattern.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
No one reads it because of the "
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Given the multiple calibers ".308" AR"s now come in, we should probably come up w/ a more universal term.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Given the multiple calibers ".308" AR"s now come in, we should probably come up w/ a more universal term.
View Quote
Calibers don't need the inch designation behind them.  But I think AR10 works well as a universal term.  I'm sure LarryG would disagree though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This.

AR10/SR25/LR308.

How many more "/s" do we need? Do we need them as consumers? Or does the fucking industry need to get their heads out of their dickholes? I apologize, i should say nicer things.

But yeah, that FAQ is good. Even with the ". The SR25 style is the most widely used and mimicked. And should work with any rifle that accepts those mags.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Calibers don't need the inch designation behind them.  But I think AR10 works well as a universal term.  I'm sure LarryG would disagree though.
View Quote
Me too and regardless if you want to admit it or not , using the term generically causes problems...
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Me too and regardless if you want to admit it or not , using the term generically causes problems...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Large Frame
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you want the magazines to work or just fit in the mag well?

There is only one way to see of they work, as many don't that fit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  Large Frame
View Quote
As opposed to the new small frame DPMS Gen 2?

I think we're going to have to call them all AR-10s, and Armalite and LarryG can lump it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think we're going to have to call them all AR-10s, and Armalite and LarryG can lump it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Large Frame

As opposed to the rifles that take normal AR mags.

If it takes a PMag LR or is an Armalite AR-10, it's a large frame AR.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This.

AR10/SR25/LR308.

How many more "/s" do we need? Do we need them as consumers? Or does the fucking industry need to get their heads out of their dickholes? I apologize, i should say nicer things.

But yeah, that FAQ is good. Even with the ". The SR25 style is the most widely used and mimicked. And should work with any rifle that accepts those mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

AR10/SR25/LR308.

You left out the LAR-8  7.62 Nato AR pattern rifle.

Uses FAL magazines...  

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  As opposed to the rifles that take normal AR mags.

View Quote
Sure.  But is a DMPS Gen 2 a small large frame AR?  And the Gen 1 is a large large frame AR?

.308" AR doesn't work if it's a 6.5mm Creedmoor.  Large frame doesn't work very well if it's a Gen 2 DPMS.  AR-10 gets into the Armalite/non-Armalite battles.  SR-25 identifies a particular product from KAC.

Extended-length magazine AR?  Which will include the Olympic .22"-250 lowers...  
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sure.  But is a DMPS Gen 2 a small large frame AR?  And the Gen 1 is a large large frame AR?

.308" AR doesn't work if it's a 6.5mm Creedmoor.  Large frame doesn't work very well if it's a Gen 2 DPMS.  AR-10 gets into the Armalite/non-Armalite battles.  SR-25 identifies a particular product from KAC.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  As opposed to the rifles that take normal AR mags.

Large Frame works just fine for people who are not pedantic.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not really.  
View Quote
Really, there is more to this then just which mag does a .308 AR take and lumping them altogether by calling them AR-10s will further continue to add to the confusion...
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:18:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Large Frame works just fine for people who are not pedantic.
View Quote
Insult me if you like, but large frame would've sufficed when there was a single size of large frame ARs.  Now that there's two sizes, I don't think that differentiating the classes by size would be helpful when we're already differntiating within the class by size.  Just like identifying this class by caliber is no longer helpful.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd say .473" bolt face ARs, but then you have the .458" SOCOM...
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:09:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Really, there is more to this then just which mag does a .308 AR take and lumping them altogether by calling them AR-10s will further continue to add to the confusion...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not really.  
Again, not really.  I already assume that when someone says they have an AR10, it's not an Armalite.  As long as they know the name stamped on the side it's pretty easy to go from there.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, you know the saying when you assume...

Look at how many people don't know which parts to order for building or replacement for their " AR-10s". It's asked all of the time.

I know many have ordered AR-10 parts for (insert brand) and vice versa only to find out they have the wrong parts. " Why don't these AR-10 parts not fit my ( insert name)?   I would concede that it would make sense to call them all AR-10s if they all were compatible with each other. Since they are not, calling them all the AR-10 just adds confusion to the uninformed (and IMO ignorant) but hey its a free country, do as you wish....
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, if we're not going to call them AR-10s, what the hell do you call them?  .308" AR doesn't make sense anymore, even if you leave out the inch hashes.

Large frame made sense until the DPMS Gen 2 - which would give us a small large frame.

SR-25 made sense when it was the only game in town.

DI battle rifle?  Which will work until someone mentions Ruger & POF.  

AR-10 - original, AR-10B, AR-10A, DPMS Gen 1 pattern, Gen 2 pattern, SR-25, LaRue, HK, Bushmaster, Colt 901...
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:18:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I have no problems calling them all AR10s, because there is historical precedent from ArmaLite and Colt from 1955-1959 that covers both the larger frame original AR10s, as well as the Colt AR10A of 1959, which had a small frame.

Here are the basic receiver variations:

1955 Tool room ArmaLite (Fairchild) AR10 prototypes

1957-1962 Dutch AR10 production guns and prototypes

1959 Colt AR10A small frame rifle, scheduled for mass production in 1959 (never produced)

1990 Knight's Armament SR25

1996 Eagle Arms (rebranded "ArmaLite Inc.") AR10B with M14 mags

2003 DPMS LR-308

2004 Rock River designed, Bushmaster manufactured BAR-10 with extra large/long receiver set and FAL mags

2012 First small frame AR10 since 1959, again a Colt, the 901

2014 DPMS GII small frame

2017 POF Revolution AR15-sized frame .308

2017 Savage MSR-10 small frame

Not counting any of the oddballs from CMMG, Cobb, or MGI, there are at least 10 different frame sizes and magazine combos in the AR10 world, with 2 different frame sizes already existing by 1959.

Anyone that says the current Eagle Arms rebrand to ArmaLite is the only "real" AR10 has to face the history and explain several things, especially the Colt AR10A of 1959, which is more of a real AR10 as it was designed by the real ArmaLite.

Anyone who calls a DPMS LR-308 an "SR25 Pattern" rifle has to answer why the Eagle/ArmaLite uses an SR25 upper/lower receiver cut, whereas DPMS does not use a common receiver seam between upper and lower.

There are several rifles patterned off of the SR25.  DPMS is not one of them, yet you see this mistake repeated over and over.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top