Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2017 12:46:28 AM EDT
Ok, so - considering picking up a 16 inch mid length A4 RRA LAR-8 that appears to be NOS (New Old Stock - looks like a 308A1239).

So I'm looking at some pics of this thing (buying online, so I have *not* seen it in person yet), and I'm wondering about this front gas block situation:

Not the greatest pic, but here's another:

What the heck is going on with the front gas block(s)?

All I can say for sure is that 1.) it doesn't appear to be a factory config,  and 2.) Why would there be two of them and what is that front one accomplishing other than being an oversized, unnecessarily large front flip sight?

Does anyone remember these coming like this from the factory? Would RRA ever put these out like this?  I wouldn't think so, but then again you never know. Just seems rather odd and impractical.

Google has been of little help. Thanks for the insight all,

Sam
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:50:53 AM EDT
[#1]
LOL!!! Looks like some genius decided to add a folding front sight gas block (looks like an RRA part but didn't come that way from the factory) where it doesn't belong. So much easier to just add a folding front sight to the rail on the factory installed gas block.  If it's a good deal and you buy it, you can remove the add on by just undoing the 4 allen screws that attach it but it will most likely leave marks behind in the finish on the barrel. FYI, it looks like that gas block is not the traditional gas block height but is rail height so make sure you get the correct  "rail height" folding front sight.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:30:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, the seller says it's NOS, but why would a new old stock weapon have that on it, unless someone added it after the fact?

Seems more like Used Old Stock to me.

And yeah, it's gonna run about 850. Still undecided as to whether I am going to pick it up or not.

This is on the rear of the upper: RRA Tactical Mount Assembly

So I figure it's worth the 850, as long as the rifle itself seems 'new' instead of 'used'.

Maybe.

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:35:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never seem that setup come from the RRA factory.

If someone modified it, it's NOT NOS, regardless of whether it's been fired.

I'd be worried someone may have butchered a good upper then decided to sell it as new when it didn't run.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd pass on that deal sir.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Who knows what else was done. I would pass on this one.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Seems fishy, run away.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Spoke to the seller.

He insists that this is in 'factory original' condition and has not been modified.

So either:

a.) He's clueless

or

b.) He's trying to pull a fast one.

Either way, it doesn't bode well.

I do believe I will be passing on this one. Truthfully, I don't think anything else was done to it, but that front gas block being bubba'd together like that doesn't make me want to find out.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Isn't that foremost sight also assembled incorrectly?

The rail section being swapped with the sling section?

From RRA website.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Isn't that foremost sight also assembled incorrectly?

The rail section being swapped with the sling section?

From RRA website.
View Quote
Yes indeed, lol.

I never noticed that!

It appears to be installed backwards.... so much for 'factory original', eh? lol
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Brilliant, this setup gives you three options to attach your sling!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I'm gonna go with "NO" on this one.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd pass on that deal sir.
View Quote
you can definitely do better than that for $850
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Long story short:

Seller acted like a complete asshole when informed that it indeed was not 'factory original' as he insisted.

Called me all sorts of names, told me I was full of shit, etc - the whole 9.

Some poor schmuck bought it for 950 shipped.

All I can say is: Better him than me.

Thanks for all the input, folks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you Steve!

Much appreciated sir.

Here endeth the mystery.  : )

Thanks again,

Sam
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I think it was one of the "Limited Run Sniper Boys Operator As Fuk" versions that I saw at a PRS match.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top