Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2017 4:18:41 PM EDT
Would it be possible to build a DI upper using a Sig 716 barrel? Does it use a standard gas port location or something proprietary due to the original piston design?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#1]
My $99 Sig 716 12.5"  barrel arrived, gas port isn't in a standardized location. Looks to be inbetween a carbine and midlength, measuring the face of the upper to the port location.

So plug and redrill a new port or make a custom gas tube. Gas tubes are pretty cheap compared to having ADCO or someone local to me do the gas port work.

Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Thats the shoulder they're giving the dimension for, the gas port is in the FRONT of the barrel journal. Unlike every other AR variant barrel I've ever owned.  

From the same location, the front of the barrel extension, it's 8 1/8" to the gas port. 7" on a carbine length AR15 barrel.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thats the shoulder they're giving the dimension for, the gas port is in the FRONT of the barrel journal. Unlike every other AR variant barrel I've ever owned.  

From the same location, the front of the barrel extension, it's 8 1/8" to the gas port. 7" on a carbine length AR15 barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's set up for their external piston system length.

Now that they got you to buy the $405 barrel on sale for $99, look for a great deal on a carbine-length piston system, if they sell one.

What BCG do you plan on using?

Theirs is only a push-rod system, not Stoner internal gas.

Are you thinking of dropping in an AR10 BCG?

Does it fit?

What are the bolt lug lengths and face depth on the existing Sig bolt?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's set up for their external piston system length.

Now that they got you to buy the $405 barrel on sale for $99, look for a great deal on a carbine-length piston system, if they sell one.

What BCG do you plan on using?

Theirs is only a push-rod system, not Stoner internal gas.

Are you thinking of dropping in an AR10 BCG?

Does it fit?

What are the bolt lug lengths and face depth on the existing Sig bolt?
View Quote
An Aero Precision BCG drops in but that's as far as I've gotten. Too many projects and not enough time/motivation currently
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

An Aero Precision BCG drops in but that's as far as I've gotten. Too many projects and not enough time/motivation currently
View Quote
You're wasting everyone's time that's waiting to see the outcome of this!

Custom gas tubes are relatively cheap, i think White oak precision used to make them?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You're wasting everyone's time that's waiting to see the outcome of this!

Custom gas tubes are relatively cheap, i think White oak precision used to make them?
View Quote
5 mins with a tape measure and a pencil figuring out the length I need, using a factory built AR308 as a guide.  Couple more mins with a dremel and a file. Chopped a midlength gastube to fit. Going to make a spacer between the journal shoulder and the rear of the gas block this week . Hopefully test fire it next weekend and dimple the barrel for the block.

All thats left is mod'ing the DPMS rifle length forend to accommodate the custom length gasblock- make a slot for the set screws to be accessed.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#8]
You've cut the wrong end of the gas tube.

That doughnut on the end that inserts into the carrier key is critical for gas seal.

The bolt won't cycle without it.

Cut the front, drill a new hole for the roll pin, and then plug it by threading the end, and screwing and bedding in a plug.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You've cut the wrong end of the gas tube.

That doughnut on the end that inserts into the carrier key is critical for gas seal.

The bolt won't cycle without it.

Cut the front, drill a new hole for the roll pin, and then plug it by threading the end, and screwing and bedding in a plug.
View Quote
Were gonna find out how critical it is I guess. Cutting the front end would require drilling the gas port hole as well as the roll pin hole.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:37:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I can already tell you what will happen.

It's not going to cycle, and the inside of your receiver is going to get very dirty really fast.

Even a short gas tube will do that.  I've seen it and had to fix it with the correct tube, and that was with a seal from the doughnut on the end.

The Stoner design starts off as a closed system.

You no longer have a closed system.

The gas is supposed to make it into the chamber formed by the bolt tail, gas rings, and carrier, in order to generate thrust from within, sending the carrier rearward.

Yours will simply bleed into the upper receiver all over.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top