Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2017 1:31:47 PM EDT
I have a Grendel I set up for long range , and I love it.  I stocked up on the cheap Wolf Ammo  and would like to build, myself  "Pistol"  having missed out on the group buy  12.5 " barrels  I recently ordered a bolt and 16  inch barrel (carbine length gas system )  Withe the idea of having a friend cut it back to 12.5  and thread it 5/x24. Has anyone else don this? Was it necessary to alter the gas port? Any concerns I am not thinking of?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You may need to enlarge the gas port. Other than that should work just fine.
Have fun.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You may need to enlarge the gas port. Other than that should work just fine.
Have fun.
View Quote

I've found most Grendel barrels to be overgassed so you may not need to mess with the gas port. I once cut a 24" rifle length gas Grendel barrel to 20" and that worked just fine. I'd just double check to make sure the M4 cut on the barrel will leave you enough diameter for a 5/8x24 thread shoulder at a 12.5" barrel length.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a Grendel I set up for long range , and I love it.  I stocked up on the cheap Wolf Ammo  and would like to build, myself  "Pistol"  having missed out on the group buy  12.5 " barrels  I recently ordered a bolt and 16  inch barrel (carbine length gas system )  Withe the idea of having a friend cut it back to 12.5  and thread it 5/x24. Has anyone else don this? Was it necessary to alter the gas port? Any concerns I am not thinking of?
View Quote

I had considered doing the exact same thing. Then I learned Ballistic Advantage has a 12.5" 6.5G barrel in the works.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I had considered doing the exact same thing. Then I learned Ballistic Advantage has a 12.5" 6.5G barrel in the works.
View Quote

I have been hearing about that for a year or so. Is it actually going to happen soon?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have been hearing about that for a year or so. Is it actually going to happen soon?
View Quote

Supposedly they are getting close to being back at acceptable inventory levels for their standard barrels. Once that happens they plan on doing some 6.5G barrels.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_685/277876_OFFICIAL-BA-6-5-Grendel-Thread.html
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Just an update, Because of the M4  barrel profile at 12.5 inches  there is not enough material to do a 5/8x24 thread. Instead I will be using 1/2x36 . I decided to go this route in part because my YHM 7.62x39 barrels use this thread pitch and I already have a QD for my Phantom in that thread pitch.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just an update, Because of the M4  barrel profile at 12.5 inches  there is not enough material to do a 5/8x24 thread. Instead I will be using 1/2x36 . I decided to go this route in part because my YHM 7.62x39 barrels use this thread pitch and I already have a QD for my Phantom in that thread pitch.
View Quote
Sweet! Cant wait to see the finished product.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag.

If BA doesn't do this I'll follow your lead
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Contact ADCO. They should be able to cut the barrel and if necessary may have to enlarge the gas port.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Contact ADCO. They should be able to cut the barrel and if necessary may have to enlarge the gas port.
View Quote
I appreciate the tip , but I am having a local machinist do it
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top