Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2017 2:05:39 PM EDT
Good afternoon folks. I'm speccing out a .308-based AR and I'm having some difficulties on the stock front. I am assuming .308-based ARs use a different receiver extension? Would anyone be able to detail this for me?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Some do some don't. The better guns often use longer ones. Which parts do you have now?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I was making the list first so I can buy most everything at once. It will be based around a 2A Armament XANTHOS-lite receiver set. I had thought to use the Mission First Tactical minimalist stock and JP captured spring, plus an adjustable gas block to really tune everything.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good afternoon folks. I'm speccing out a .308-based AR and I'm having some difficulties on the stock front. I am assuming .308-based ARs use a different receiver extension? Would anyone be able to detail this for me?
View Quote

There are at least 3 different RET lengths:

AR15 carbine RET, used with super short LR-308 carbine buffer
ArmaLite/A5 RET, used with AR15 carbine buffer length
Rifle RET, used with AR10 or LR-308 rifle buffer length (shorter than AR15 rifle buffer, longer than carbine)
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was making the list first so I can buy most everything at once. It will be based around a 2A Armament XANTHOS-lite receiver set. I had thought to use the Mission First Tactical minimalist stock and JP captured spring, plus an adjustable gas block to really tune everything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If you're using a standard AR15/M4 carbine tube (not an Armalite AR10 tube), you will use the JP .308-specific buffer/spring.
https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSCS2-10

The JPSCS2-10 is designed to work in standard 7-inch M16/M4-length buffer extension tubes on .308 AR-type rifles like the DPMS LR-308. Armalite .308 rifles, likewise, use these standard M16 extension tubes with rifle-length stocks, so this unit will function normally when installed with the supplied spacer. However, Armalite’s .308 carbines use a slightly longer, non-standard carbine extension tube. The JPSCS2-10 can still be used with these extension tubes by installing the spacer, which must be modified to fit. Alternately, the system will function readily if the longer Armalite carbine tube is replaced with a standard 7-inch .223 carbine extension tube.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you're using a standard AR15/M4 carbine tube (not an Armalite AR10 tube), you will use the JP .308-specific buffer/spring.
https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSCS2-10
View Quote

Standard AR15 carbine tubes it is then. Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not what I would do but it might work.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's not what I would do but it might work.
View Quote

I believe the vast majority of .308 AR carbines floating around use a standard M4 receiver extension.  Armalite is pretty much the only big exception.
The only "downside" is a shorter buffer with less room for dead-blow mass.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I believe the vast majority of .308 AR carbines floating around use a standard M4 receiver extension.  Armalite is pretty much the only big exception.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

KAC uses longer also.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Shifting gears slightly, can I assume the same about gas tubes? .308 AR mid length gas tube the same as a standard AR15 mid length gas tube?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:55:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Shifting gears slightly, can I assume the same about gas tubes? .308 AR mid length gas tube the same as a standard AR15 mid length gas tube?
View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:06:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

You want rifle gas for 16" barrels.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Why is that? Proper pressure curve? JP seems to think midlength on a 16" .308 barrel is okay.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Correct.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.

Incorrect.

Some are the same, and others are longer, like on the ArmaLite carbines.

There are at last 2 different MLGS tubes on the market, and at least one additional specific length for another manufacturer who doesn't sell parts, only complete rifles.

I do believe most barrel makers use an AR15 MLGS length for their port locations on AR10 barrels with MLGS.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why is that? Proper pressure curve? JP seems to think midlength on a 16" .308 barrel is okay.
View Quote

You can set the gun up for either.

If you're going to be shooting lots of 175gr suppressed, I would go 16" RLGS or ILGS.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#16]
It'll shoot whatever my department issues, really. This would serve the role of patrol rifle and sub in as precision rifle when needed. I might even go for JP's 14.5" barrel and pin a nice Ti comp / suppressor mount. As long as I can run it through a couple three-day classes (our patrol carbine quad class is three days) then that's what I'll go with.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Just eyeballed a DPMS LR308 carbine vs a 6920... The 308 Re is about 3/4 " longer than the 6920.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just eyeballed a DPMS LR308 carbine vs a 6920... The 308 Re is about 3/4 " longer than the 6920.
View Quote

From the factory, they use the same RT length.

Recalibrate eyeball, or check to see if someone installed an A5.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

From the factory, they use the same RT length.

Recalibrate eyeball, or check to see if someone installed an A5.
View Quote

This. They should be identical.  The stock lock holes may be different between brands so if you're comparing them with stocks on that may be the source of your confusion.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#20]
disclaimer: I do not want to represent my self as someone that knows anything about 308 ARs, just saw this thread and happened to have my 308 out of the safe for the 1st time in years. Had it for about 8 years and never even fired it, until today.  
I measured the 6920 and the DPMS today, the 308 is about a half inch longer about 7.2" vs 7.75", what's going on? Now I wish I had measured another carbine before I put them in the safe.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#21]
d tap
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Measure the inside. Different manufacturers have been known to have slightly different external lengths, but they should both be 7" internal depth.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top