Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2017 11:05:52 AM EDT
I guess I should say feed ramps designed for .223 bullets instead of M4 but I don't think that would have fit in the title.

Anyway, just wondered if there's a reason

The only two reasons I could come up with is:

1. There's a spec for M4/Rifle extensions

2. They already have them/ already set up to make them
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Better engineered design. Why go backwards?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Better engineered design. Why go backwards?
View Quote

You lost me

I'm not sure what you're saying?

Sure it's a great design, but it's a design being used for something it wasn't meant to be used for
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You lost me

Sure it's a great design, but it's a design being used for something it wasn't meant to be used for
View Quote

I see what you're saying, O.P. Like the X39 has hogged out ramps with the same diameter bullet.
Maybe because of the larger diameter case, as it drops the bullets centerline ?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd guess the ease/relative cost of sourcing "standard" uppers rather than making or buying something optimized for 300 Blackout.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd guess the ease/relative cost of sourcing "standard" uppers rather than making or buying something optimized for 300 Blackout.
View Quote

This.  Why fix what ain't broke?  No need to engineer a whole new standard when you can use an existing MASS PRODUCED standard.  The fewer changes they can get away with during production, the cheaper those processes can be.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I see what you're saying, O.P. Like the X39 has hogged out ramps with the same diameter bullet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You lost me

I think you might have hit the nail on the head there. 300blk still has the same case so you need to get it up into their bore.

Seems like there should be a way to do it. I'm surprised that there hasn't been more innovation with the surge in popularity of 300blk

I guess since it works, somewhat, most of the time it's good enough

I think to make it work 100% with 30 caliber feed ramps you would have to have modified mags. Probably need slightly lower and shorter feed lips
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Since most uppers have M4 cuts, you need cuts in the extension or bullets catch on the eedge of the extension.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Since most uppers have M4 cuts, you need cuts in the extension or bullets catch on the eedge of the extension.
View Quote

Since .30 caliber ramps would be larger I don't imagine that would be an issue. Same as using a m4 extension in an upper made for a rifle extension.

I'm sure most people would choose to blend them in anyway to get the full benefit of having the larger feed ramp
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like a debate with little upside or downside.  If it keeps production costs down with no negative effects, why throw another variable into the mix.  Most of us into the AR15 platform hate a bunch of proprietary changes...don't we?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sounds like a debate with little upside or downside.  If it keeps production costs down with no negative effects, why throw another variable into the mix.  Most of us into the AR15 platform hate a bunch of proprietary changes...don't we?
View Quote

Do you load any heavy subs for 300blk in an AR?

Like 200+ grain coated lead?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:21:38 PM EDT
[#11]
There are few that make 30 cal ramps on the barrel extensions such as V7 and AAC. When talking to these manufacturers, they say the upper receivers with M4 feed ramps blend perfectly into the 30 cal extensions and nothing more is needed. So yeah, there are more than a few making barrels with the different barrel extensions to optimize 300blk feeding.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:49:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There are few that make 30 cal ramps on the barrel extensions such as V7 and AAC. When talking to these manufacturers, they say the upper receivers with M4 feed ramps blend perfectly into the 30 cal extensions and nothing more is needed. So yeah, there are more than a few making barrels with the different barrel extensions to optimize 300blk feeding.
View Quote

I heard AAC had their own extension but I never heard about V7. I'll have to look into it. As far a I know AAC doesn't sell just the barrel extension

Eta: looks like V7 only sells the extension with their barrel too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Anderson has modified a ramps on their 300 BLK, 7.63x39, and 6.8 SPC barrel extensions.

Another barrel maker, whose barrels I also like and sell, says the modified extensions are not needed, and says the modified extensions are weaker.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:46:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anderson has modified a ramps on their 300 BLK, 7.63x39, and 6.8 SPC barrel extensions.

Another barrel maker, whose barrels I also like and sell, says the modified extensions are not needed, and says the modified extensions are weaker.
View Quote

I would imagine they are weaker but I can't imagine it's enough to actually matter. But then again I'm going on anecdotal evidence vs. engineering data.

As far as them not being needed I guess that depends on what you're loading. Guys that are loading 240 grain PC cast bullets might say different.

I've been experimenting with slight mag modifications that I think might negative the need for the larger ramps although I would still likely round the sharp edges off

That's interesting about the Anderson barrel extensions
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:23:21 AM EDT
[#15]
For what it is worth... Black Hole Weaponry used to offer a wider feed ramp for 300 BLK.

I ended up modifying my own to a similar profile to run larger meplat cast boolits.

Here is the BHW profile (center) vs M4 right:

These are Missouri Bullet Company 245 gr coated cast bullets I loaded recently.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For what it is worth... Black Hole Weaponry used to offer a wider feed ramp for 300 BLK.

I ended up modifying my own to a similar profile to run larger meplat cast boolits.

Here is the BHW profile (center) vs M4 right:
http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125658/85310.JPG

These are Missouri Bullet Company 245 gr coated cast bullets I loaded recently.
http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125658/IMG-2309-150506.jpg
View Quote

Interesting

Mine are opened up close to the BHW one but I left a little more of the center lug.

It feeds big heavies great but ironically it's causing issues with the Rainier 180 wedge subsonic as there isn't enough lift to get the tip of the bullet past the lip of the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:24:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Interesting

Mine are opened up close to the BHW one but I left a little more of the center lug.

It feeds big heavies great but ironically it's causing issues with the Rainier 180 wedge subsonic as there isn't enough lift to get the tip of the bullet past the lip of the barrel.
View Quote

So far mine has fed everything I have thrown at it. It feeds 220 gr Round nose, 245 gr MBC and my 247 gr NOE cast Boolits (very similar to MBC).

I have also run some supers with 120 gr jacketed with no problems.

I don't think I removed as much material as you did and I have not tried the Rainier 180 wedge.

I will try to get a shot of my feed ramps soon.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So far mine has fed everything I have thrown at it. It feeds 220 gr Round nose, 245 gr MBC and my 247 gr NOE cast Boolits (very similar to MBC).

I don't think I removed as much material as you did and I have not tried the Rainier 180 wedge.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting

Ok. Here are the ramps on the one that works great so far (I know it needs cleaning and I also noticed there is a slight ridge that needs to be dressed down):

And here is one I am currently working on (still needs some more work):
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:54:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ok. Here are the ramps on the one that works great so far (I know it needs cleaning and I also noticed there is a slight ridge that needs to be dressed down):
http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125658/FullSizeRender-151546.jpg

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125658/FullSizeRender-2-151545.jpg
View Quote

That's really similar to mine.

The trainer bullets are wedge shaped so the diameter of the bullet isn't big enough to lift it into the chamber before the tip hits the edge of the chamber.

No other bullets have given me an issue, even supers

I believe they designed the bullet specifically to work with standard feed ramps
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:10:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The trainer bullets are wedge shaped so the diameter of the bullet isn't big enough to lift it into the chamber before the tip hits the edge of the chamber.

I believe they designed the bullet specifically to work with standard feed ramps
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125658/FullSizeRender-151546.jpg

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125658/FullSizeRender-2-151545.jpg

That makes sense.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top