Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2017 9:20:55 PM EDT
Where can I find a barrel in stock?!?!
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#1]
i think brownells has them
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Odin Works sells some. As does Black Hole Weaponry. And Alexander Arms.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Saami grendel, or variant chamber grendel?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I just bought a Black Hole Weaponry at Surplus Ammo and Arms which led to questions I had about the difference between the Grendel and the LBC Grendel. The Black Hole is LBC so then I wondered which BCG. You might glean some information from the following discussion.

My Grendel discussion on another board

SA&A Barrel
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:34:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Lilja will ship next day.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#6]
JSE Surplus has 6.5 Grendel barrels in stock.  They sell JP, Wilson and an unidentified SS barrel which are supposedly manufactured by Mossberg.  J&T Distributing had 6.5 Grendel barrels in stock last time I checked.   Primary Arms and Joeboboutfitters frequently get Odin Works barrels in stock, worth getting on their notification list.

J&G Sales had the Wolf WPA 6.5 Grendel upper and 6.5 Grendel mags in stock last time I checked.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I stopped by J&T's booth at SHOT to ask them about some of their parts, because I've been impressed with their LPKs.

They seem to be following the TDP as closely as possible, aside from any of the AUTO provisions.

One example is that they actually use Cadmium-plated detents, not zinc.

Great company really.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I stopped by J&T's booth at SHOT to ask them about some of their parts, ...
View Quote

I wish I would have thought about trying to meet up with you while the wife and I were at Shot Show. It was your thread that got me into Grendels, and a lot of my customers have bought Grendel barrels and bolts from us since then.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I got an Odin Works 20'' barrel with complete BCG and gas block for $275 at Impact Guns. Check there.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:32:25 AM EDT
[#10]
16 inch, lightweight, melonite is what I seek, Grendel chamber.

I'm needy, also want Am eagle 90gr tnt!!!!!!

TnTs rock in the 6.8 too.  If no 6.5 TnTs out now, hornady 123s dont suck.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:45:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, it's not in stock yet, but Alexander Arms has their lightweight fluted stainless barrel on sale for $195... I've placed my order a month ago -- still a 2 week wait from their ETA. If you can wait you will get a solid barrel from them and perhaps luck out on catching their next run or barrels
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#12]
How about a 14.5", Lightweight, Middy, 5/8 x 24 thread and not in a stainless finish ??

at this point ill settle for all of this in a 16" inch
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd take a 14.5 middy Melonite finish too!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the above mentioned Alexander Arms Fluted Lightweight Barrel (Brand New) if interested.  Forgot that I ordered one and it showed up a few weeks back.  I currently ordered a JP 18" Grendel barrel w/ matching bolt so will not need this one.  If interested IM or email me....I also have a JP Rifles Grendel Bolt for it too if needed.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have the above mentioned Alexander Arms Fluted Lightweight Barrel (Brand New) if interested.  Forgot that I ordered one and it showed up a few weeks back.  I currently ordered a JP 18" Grendel barrel w/ matching bolt so will not need this one.  If interested IM or email me....I also have a JP Rifles Grendel Bolt for it too if needed.
View Quote

I'm interested. PM sent.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:39:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I wish Faxon would keep Grendel barrels on their site as an option, 12.5", 16", and 20" all ready to go would be nice.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wish Faxon would keep Grendel barrels on their site as an option, 12.5", 16", and 20" all ready to go would be nice.
View Quote

iirc someone found them listed on joebobs site.  but not in stock.  so they may be coming
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

iirc someone found them listed on joebobs site.  but not in stock.  so they may be coming
View Quote

I sure hope so, we need a reliable source for decent Grendel barrels for mid range prices.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I sure hope so, we need a reliable source for decent Grendel barrels for mid range prices.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cue BA!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Cue BA!!
View Quote

Yes please, BA makes nice barrels. A nice midweight stainless barrel for $200 would be awesome.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 6:51:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Satern keeps their Liberty button rifled barrels in stock.  http://shop.saternbarrels.net/t/65-grendel
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm really interested in the 6.5 grendel for a precision rifle as well for hunting but the difference between type 1 and 2  Sammi spec is a little confusing.  

Is one better than the other?  

I was looking at  Odin but came across a saa blackhole weaponry complete upper that would fit my needs perfectly.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#23]
sammi is what it developed as.

type 1 and type 2 usually refer to bolt face

type 1 bolt is .125 depth (same as 7.62x39)

type 2 is .136 face depth (stronger extractor)

lotta talk on the grendel forum with pics and everything
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm really interested in the 6.5 grendel for a precision rifle as well for hunting but the difference between type 1 and 2  Sammi spec is a little confusing.  

Is one better than the other?  

I was looking at  Odin but came across a saa blackhole weaponry complete upper that would fit my needs perfectly.
View Quote

SAAMI is an acronym for Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute.  The 6.5 Grendel gained SAAMI standardization several years ago so that consumers can buy ammo that is loaded to those specs, and gun makers can make barrels with chambers that will fit that ammo.

I have yet to shoot a barrel that can out-shoot a SAAMI chamber with a wide range of bullet shapes loaded to mag length.

No matter what I do, whether it be 100gr NBT, or 129gr SST, or 123gr Scenar, the SAAMI chambers seem to shoot them consistently.

The terms "Type I" and "Type 2" were internal to one company who started making barrels at least 10 years after 6.5 Grendel was introduced, but because people kept repeating them over and over on the internet, other manufacturers started to use them, even though they have little relevance to what a Grendel bolt is.

The reality is that .136" bolt face depth was used on 6.5 Grendel from the start, since it comes from Colt's work on the 7.62x39.  The Grendel bolt is also longer so customers can use standard AR15 firing pins for convenience.

The reason for the deeper bolt face depth is so you can mass-produce a reliable extractor that won't break at the lip like most of the 7.62x39 extractors and even DPMS LR-308 extractors do.  There isn't enough lip material if you use a .125" face depth.

There have been well-respected manufacturers come on here and refute that, saying that they can build a 7.62x39 bolt with a .125" face depth and reliable extractor just fine, with no breakages.....followed with an unrelated thread where one of their customers just broke a 7.62x39 extractor and is wondering if that is normal.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#26]
OK so the type two would be the preferred one to get because it's stronger?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OK so the type two would be the preferred one to get because it's stronger?
View Quote

There is no such thing as a Type II to me.  Nobody can identify what that means outside of one company.

If the original 6.5 Grendel bolt is the original, predates one company's internal names by at least 10 years, and has different dimensions than the after-market imitation bolts that never even bothered to try to reverse-engineer a real Grendel bolt, it makes no sense at all to call a real Grendel bolt a "Type II".  Those terms only add confusion.

Same goes for 7.62x39 bolts.  The de-facto standard in the market is a very poorly-executed bolt dimensionally, where everyone either didn't know that Colt had done the engineering work on this project in the 1980s, or didn't care to investigate.

Broken extractors are the result, left and right, because the .125" bolt face depth constrains you to a dimensional limit that doesn't allow you to mass-produce a workable extractor unless you go to exotic materials like DPMS did with the GII .308 extractor, which has way more lip material radially than an AR15 extractor, and yet they were having a lot of broken and bent extractors on the LR-308 even, because of that shallow bolt face depth and bad processes.  They won't say what material they're using on the GII extractor.

This is why I recommend getting a correct 6.5 Grendel bolt with .136" face, 2.810" long, with a well-engineered and manufactured extractor.

The ones that have been working for me come from 2 sources:

Alexander Arms
Precision Firearms

I would also have you consider JP with their bolt and new extractor, although I have not used them.  JP is one of the few companies who I have a lot of confidence in, as they are not known for churning out garbage.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There is no such thing as a Type II to me.  Nobody can identify what that means outside of one company.

If the original 6.5 Grendel bolt is the original, predates one company's internal names by at least 10 years, and has different dimensions than the after-market imitation bolts that never even bothered to try to reverse-engineer a real Grendel bolt, it makes no sense at all to call a real Grendel bolt a "Type II".  Those terms only add confusion.

Same goes for 7.62x39 bolts.  The de-facto standard in the market is a very poorly-executed bolt dimensionally, where everyone either didn't know that Colt had done the engineering work on this project in the 1980s, or didn't care to investigate.

Broken extractors are the result, left and right, because the .125" bolt face depth constrains you to a dimensional limit that doesn't allow you to mass-produce a workable extractor unless you go to exotic materials like DPMS did with the GII .308 extractor, which has way more lip material radially than an AR15 extractor, and yet they were having a lot of broken and bent extractors on the LR-308 even, because of that shallow bolt face depth and bad processes.  They won't say what material they're using on the GII extractor.

This is why I recommend getting a correct 6.5 Grendel bolt with .136" face, 2.810" long, with a well-engineered and manufactured extractor.

The ones that have been working for me come from 2 sources:

Alexander Arms
Precision Firearms

I would also have you consider JP with their bolt and new extractor, although I have not used them.  JP is one of the few companies who I have a lot of confidence in, as they are not known for churning out garbage.
View Quote

what about the maxim bolts.  In the little I researched they seem to have a good reputation
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#29]
PF sourced some Maxim bolts for a BCG group buy we did and I have one, with the PF extractor, and it has been fine so far in my Lilja 318 build.

I like that it's nitrided as well, which PF spec'd.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

SAAMI is an acronym for Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute.  The 6.5 Grendel gained SAAMI standardization several years ago so that consumers can buy ammo that is loaded to those specs, and gun makers can make barrels with chambers that will fit that ammo.

I have yet to shoot a barrel that can out-shoot a SAAMI chamber with a wide range of bullet shapes loaded to mag length.

No matter what I do, whether it be 100gr NBT, or 129gr SST, or 123gr Scenar, the SAAMI chambers seem to shoot them consistently.

The terms "Type I" and "Type 2" were internal to one company who started making barrels at least 10 years after 6.5 Grendel was introduced, but because people kept repeating them over and over on the internet, other manufacturers started to use them, even though they have little relevance to what a Grendel bolt is.

The reality is that .136" bolt face depth was used on 6.5 Grendel from the start, since it comes from Colt's work on the 7.62x39.  The Grendel bolt is also longer so customers can use standard AR15 firing pins for convenience.

The reason for the deeper bolt face depth is so you can mass-produce a reliable extractor that won't break at the lip like most of the 7.62x39 extractors and even DPMS LR-308 extractors do.  There isn't enough lip material if you use a .125" face depth.

There have been well-respected manufacturers come on here and refute that, saying that they can build a 7.62x39 bolt with a .125" face depth and reliable extractor just fine, with no breakages.....followed with an unrelated thread where one of their customers just broke a 7.62x39 extractor and is wondering if that is normal.
View Quote

Adding to the confusion you have the grendel 2 chamber.  The bolt face depth on that chamber is the same as a sammi spec Grendel at .136.  
So there are currently 3 different chambers that fire 6.5 grendel ammo
264 lbc .125 bolt face depth
6.5 grendel .136 bolt face
Grendel 2 which is a grendel without compound throat.  uses the same bolt.
Making matters worse is some manufacturers and builders won't even tell you that they are selling you a grendel 2 chamber. For instance I am pretty sure the wolf upper is not a sammi spec grendel chamber with compound throat.  Anderson's(people who build the wolf upper) other uppers are grendel 2 chambers as far as I know.  
Good thing is all these chambers will shoot factory grendel ammo.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Adding to the confusion you have the grendel 2 chamber.  The bolt face depth on that chamber is the same as a sammi spec Grendel at .136.  
Making matters worse is some manufacturers and builders won't even tell you that they are selling you a grendel 2 chamber. For instance I am pretty sure the wolf upper is not a sammi spec grendel chamber with compound throat.  Anderson's(people who build the wolf upper) other uppers are grendel 2 chambers as far as I know.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Wish I would have gotten an Odin.. My radical upper has been nothing but problems, just wait for the right barrel to be in stock lol
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wish I would have gotten an Odin.. My radical upper has been nothing but problems, just wait for the right barrel to be in stock lol
View Quote

I just purchased a Alexander Arms 18" light fluted barrel for 195.  To me that is a pretty good price that is hard to beat for a fluted barrel.  Plus you know you are getting solid customer support if somethings wrong.  You won't likely beat that price from Saturn, odin etc etc.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have heard quite a few complaints about radical firearms, I guess I got lucky my 7.62x39 AR from radical runs great and is really accurate.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#35]
LRRPF52,

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who appreciates your knowledge and in-depth answers to questions regarding 6.5G (and ARs in general). Thanks for taking the time to educate us on a daily basis. Your input around here is among the ranks of Molon, etc. 

And, I can give you sole blame when my wife gets after my ass for dropping $1,500 for a Grendel upper, mags, dies, brass, and projectiles. 

But, you're a few states away, so I think you're safe. 
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever you do, don't ever look up all the .223 Remington, 5.56 NATO, .308 Winchester, or 7.62 NATO chambers if you're expecting a standard.

Bolt face depth is simply not covered in SAAMI, because the cartridge can be loaded for and chambered in any center fire rifle design.

I don't know why people keep mentioning SAAMI and the .136" face depth like it's a call-out in the minimum chamber, maximum cartridge specs, because it's not there.

The confusion is caused by people looking to take short-cuts at every chance they get, whether it be extractors, bolts, or reamers, when the research, development, testing, and long-term evaluation has been done like I've not seen with any of the other cartridges you can chamber in the AR15, short of 5.56 NATO, and I seriously doubt the reamer design work even comes close to 6.5 Grendel R&D when looking at 5.56 NATO.  It was never thought to be a viable cartridge by its own creator, who believed that small caliber was a bad move for the military.  He (Stoner) figured they were just going to kill it anyway, but did his due diligence in meeting the steel helmet perforation test at 500yds, since the .222 Remington could "only" perforate out to 400yds.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyone know anything about the Shilen barrels or the ones from Alex Pro?  Both are supposedly SAAMI spec chambers...
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:33:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I just purchased a Alexander Arms 18" light fluted barrel for 195.  To me that is a pretty good price that is hard to beat for a fluted barrel.  Plus you know you are getting solid customer support if somethings wrong.  You won't likely beat that price from Saturn, odin etc etc.
View Quote

Whats the wait time for a 18" AA barrel?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Crap! I just got in my 16" LW, I wish they had offered the 18" when I ordered.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

They said they were in stock and ready to ship but they haven't shipped mine yet.  I emailed them friday and thats when they said they were in stock.  I ordered mine on sunday.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They said they were in stock and ready to ship but they haven't shipped mine yet.  I emailed them friday and thats when they said they were in stock.  I ordered mine on sunday.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

Mine was shipped today!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for posting about the 18" AA barrel. I did not realize they were selling an 18" and thought you guys made a typo talking about the 16".
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:01:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Mine was shipped today!
View Quote
Sweet thanks !
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Anyone know anything about the Core15 barrels or the HBAR SS one at JSE?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
They must have them in stock, because mine took less than a week to get here.  Better order before the back log happens. 
FYI my 16" AA barrel was quick to get here too, but that was before everyone started ordering the shit out of them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Anyone know anything about the Core15 barrels or the HBAR SS one at JSE?
View Quote

I'm interested in a Core15 upper in 6.5 .
I've sent CORE15 some questions, but haven't heard back.
They have a column in the Industry link, if you have a technical question that they can answer.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I stopped by J&T's booth at SHOT to ask them about some of their parts, because I've been impressed with their LPKs.

They seem to be following the TDP as closely as possible, aside from any of the AUTO provisions.

One example is that they actually use Cadmium-plated detents, not zinc.

Great company really.
View Quote

LRRPF52

I have a question for you if you wouldn't mind.  I have a 18" light AA barrel gun is put together and read to go except I need a bolt.  The AA bolts are a 6 to 7 week lead time.  I know you have mentioned before that some grendel bolts are not long enough to work with the standard firing pin.  Do you know of any other bolts that I could go with?  i hate to go with one that will cause problems but I would like to not wait 7 weeks either.  Thanks in advance!
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top