BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/26/2016 9:25:44 PM EDT
So, I found a Armalite AR-10 for sale locally. I believe it is one of the A or B series rifles.
The one for sale is basically brand new. Guy is asking $800 as it comes from the factory.

I'm having an issue finding reviews and  I'm just looking to see if anyone has one they could give me some feedback on.

Thanks!!

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Would not hesitate at that price regardless of model. New DEF10 is about $1000 and the A/B series higher. DEF and A's do use P-Mags though so that is a plus for me. I have the AR10A and it has been very reliable and pretty accurate
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would not hesitate at that price regardless of model. New DEF10 is about $1000 and the A/B series higher. DEF and A's do use P-Mags though so that is a plus for me. I have the AR10A and it has been very reliable and pretty accurate
View Quote

Do the "B" series rifles take P-Mags as well?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#3]
A model uses SR25 mags.

B model uses modified M14 mags.

If you reload, the B model provides more COL allowance.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the B models with the Generation 2 magazines.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#5]
A and B designations are for mags only. All other things are the same. Same operating parts, just different receivers for the different mags.

At 800$, it's most likely a DEF10, could be A or B. Which require different mags, the B using more expensive mags. But they are more reliable once cleaned up of the factory oils, broken in a bit by hand cycling with a ruler, and they'll be good for thousands upon thousands of rounds as long as you maintain them.

Anyways, ensure its a complete Armalite. Everything is marked except the trigger. I think in the DEF10, it's a standard GI trigger without Armalite specific markings. Receivers, bcg, and barrel should all be marked.

If it checks good, buy that sucker. Damn good deal.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:36:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok I added some photos, not sure if you can tell anything by those photos.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]
If you don't buy it send me the seller's info.

It appears to have the Armalite 2-stage trigger so you get a bonus upgrade.

A very good buy for $800.  You can upgrade with a free-float rail or leave it stock.

They're solid 500-600 yard shooters with match ammo (if you're aiming at a GI E-type target).

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy buy buy!

I believe that's a B model that uses Armalite mags.

That's one of the basic 16" models that's NOT the Defender series. Like above poster said, that's one of the good triggers.

Very good package at that price.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#9]
looks like a nice old school b series at a good price

is this your first 308 ar ?

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#10]
That's a B series factory gun.  At $800 you better jump all over that thing.  I have the same gun I paid almost $1200 for NIB a few years ago.  One of the best AR-10 carbines you can have.  I put an Aimpoint Pro on mine.  Great shooter.  Only problem right now is the B series mags are a little hard to find.  Even Armalite has been out of stock on them for a while.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes it is.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's a B series factory gun.  At $800 you better jump all over that thing.  I have the same gun I paid almost $1200 for NIB a few years ago.  One of the best AR-10 carbines you can have.  I put an Aimpoint Pro on mine.  Great shooter.  Only problem right now is the B series mags are a little hard to find.  Even Armalite has been out of stock on them for a while.
View Quote

Yea that's my only gripe, the whole proprietary mag thing is gonna be an issue as I want a rifle that uses the pmags
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yea that's my only gripe, the whole proprietary mag thing is gonna be an issue as I want a rifle that uses the pmags
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you ever tried to use an AR mag in a SIG 551, or an FAL mag in a H&K 91?  How about a 1911 mag in a M9?  The. Gen 2 magazine are better magazines.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Have you ever tried to use an AR mag in a SIG 551, or an FAL mag in a H&K 91?  How about a 1911 mag in a M9?  The. Gen 2 magazine are better magazines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they really are better magazines by a fairly large factor.  They are freaking stout and should outlast P-mags noticeably.  While it is somewhat annoying not to have a more common mag, the upside is that if you buy a few they will probably outlast you and the gun.  One other thing to remember here is that this a .308.  There are very few people on this planet outside the military who are going to be shooting up .308 ammo like .22 LR or even 5.56.  I'd really like to know how many people actually wear out their 5.56 P-mags from shooting them to oblivion.  I think this is one of those issues where the concept doesn't live up to the perception of reality for "most" of us.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

popular Glocks have proprietary mags - it shouldn't be an issue.
The Armalite mags are well made and function well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Shop around, you'll find the mags.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Great price.  Buy it now. Call Armalite for correct mags.

Txl
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

This!  

My only .308 AR is an Armalite AR-10B 16" carbine that I bought a couple of years ago for $1,200.

The magazines are hard to find.  I've had the best luck in the EE, but I usually can only buy a couple at a time.  Between that and .308, it's the rifle I own with the least amount of modification.

With that said, it has an awesome trigger.  I see no reason to change it.

EDIT - I saw a few people above speak to the quality of the gen 2 magazines.  They really are stout magazines.  It sucks to pay more for them, but they will last a really long time!  It hurts a little to think I can buy 3-4 5.56 mags for the price of one of them, but honestly, it's not like I'm burning through magazines anyway.

At $800, if you can swing it, I would buy it right now!  It's a basic rifle that is top quality.  Is the seller adding a magazine?  I'd assume if he has the rifle, he has some magazines.  Try to pick up a few from him.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This!  

My only .308 AR is an Armalite AR-10B 16" carbine that I bought a couple of years ago for $1,200.

The magazines are hard to find.  I've had the best luck in the EE, but I usually can only buy a couple at a time.  Between that and .308, it's the rifle I own with the least amount of modification.

EDIT - I saw a few people above speak to the quality of the gen 2 magazines.  They really are stout magazines.  It sucks to pay more for them, but they will last a really long time!  It hurts a little to think I can buy 3-4 5.56 mags for the price of one of them, but honestly, it's not like I'm burning through magazines anyway.

At $800, if you can swing it, I would buy it right now!  It's a basic rifle that is top quality.  Is the seller adding a magazine?  I'd assume if he has the rifle, he has some magazines.  Try to pick up a few from him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!  

Yea he has one mag, problem is he has to find it first, he said he would mail it to me when he located it since he's in the process of moving.
I went and checked and even armalite is sold out of these mags,
Hmmmmmm Im leaning towards a pass more and more.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll buy it right now without a mag. More will be available soon.

Send me the seller's contact info. I'll send him funds tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:04:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yes it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it is.
it's a solid looking rifle at a good price , don't let the non compatibility with pmags sway your decision.  the b series gen 2 armalite mags are like the gun and built like a brick shit house.  let the buyer know the mags are a bit hard to come by right now and he might work with you on the price some , especially if he can't find the 1 mag.  

do a little reading about parts compatibility for 308 ar's , it's very different than with ar15's.  if your looking to upgrade the rifle you might be limited in options.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:23:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
it's a solid looking rifle at a good price , don't let the non compatibility with pmags sway your decision.  the b series gen 2 armalite mags are like the gun and built like a brick shit house.  let the buyer know the mags are a bit hard to come by right now and he might work with you on the price some , especially if he can't find the 1 mag.  

do a little reading about parts compatibility for 308 ar's , it's very different than with ar15's.  if your looking to upgrade the rifle you might be limited in options.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is.

Yes that was my other concern, I plan to heavily upgrade this rifle.
Trigger,stock, charging handle, rail system, pistol grip, safety, trigger guard, muzzle brake. I would be changing everything out and putting some nice glass on it and a suppressor in the future.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:24:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is.

He originally told me $850 and he came down to $800.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:25:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hes a local seller, well hes an hour away.   Regardless, If i pass I will let him know you 2 are interested and give out his email.
Im going to see what he can come up with as far as mag go first.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:33:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hes a local seller, well hes an hour away.   Regardless, If i pass I will let him know you 2 are interested and give out his email.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would get it....magazine availability should not be an issue.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Trigger,stock, charging handle, rail system, pistol grip, safety, trigger guard, muzzle brake. I would be changing everything out and putting some nice glass on it and a suppressor in the future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it is.

most of what you listed to upgrade shouldn't be a problem , rail choices are limited but there's a handful of nice one's out there to choose from.  the trigger , stock , grip , safety , and the trigger guard are all ar15 compatible.  the muzzle device will also be pretty common with a 5/8 x 24 thread pitch.  the grip is a bit different and specific ones to the ar 10 are made but any ar15 grip will fit , same with the stock.  any mil spec stock will fit but it won't collapse all the way closed , just like in the pic.  again like the grips there are stocks that will collapse all the way on an 8" buffer tube.  there should also be a handful of compatible charging handles , i use a bcm gunfighter charging handle.
it seems like a nice rifle at a good price. there are lots of options in the 308 market nowadays like the small frame variants but that price is hard to walk away from.

some more b series pron to help sway your decision to the dark side

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Armalite makes the mags in large batches. The come in stock several times a year, as well as third party dealers.

The mags are around, you'rejust looking during one of the dry spells. They don't last long.

Don't let the mags sway you. Get that damn rifle. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
most of what you listed to upgrade shouldn't be a problem , rail choices are limited but there's a handful of nice one's out there to choose from.  the trigger , stock , grip , safety , and the trigger guard are all ar15 compatible.  the muzzle device will also be pretty common with a 5/8 x 24 thread pitch.  the grip is a bit different and specific ones to the ar 10 are made but any ar15 grip will fit , same with the stock.  any mil spec stock will fit but it won't collapse all the way closed , just like in the pic.  again like the grips there are stocks that will collapse all the way on an 8" buffer tube.  there should also be a handful of compatible charging handles , i use a bcm gunfighter charging handle.

it seems like a nice rifle at a good price. there are lots of options in the 308 market nowadays like the small frame variants but that price is hard to walk away from.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/1iviper/IMG_2423_zpszfa1fkyt.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is.

Well this sure is inspiration. I think I may have to change my mind after seeing that beast.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Armalite makes the mags in large batches. The come in stock several times a year, as well as third party dealers.

The mags are around, you'rejust looking during one of the dry spells. They don't last long.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha, thanks. The more I speak with you guys the more im liking this rifle. I may have to buy it after all.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:30:15 PM EDT
[#31]
How could you guys tell that it is a B model and has an upgraded trigger?

Teach me, oh wise ones.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#32]
The 2 stage match trigger is made of cast steel and you can tell by the color

The A lower has a raised area from the mag catch down to the mag well opening and the mag well opening is at a steeper angle

Quoted:

Teach me, oh wise ones.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Teach me, oh wise ones.
View Quote

PLEASE, buy the rifle.  You will not regret it.  Armalite makes GREAT stuff.  Here is a little more pron.  My own little Armalite family.  AR-10's on the top and bottom of the picture.  I added an Aimpoint Pro after this pic was taken to the carbine.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Here is a good video that explains the difference in the A and B series.  Just a few differences.  I do personally like the B series better.  I think the feed angle is better and the B series allows someone who reloads the opportunity to have a longer overall length to work with.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:16:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here is a good video that explains the difference in the A and B series.  Just a few differences.  I do personally like the B series better.  I think the feed angle is better and the B series allows someone who reloads the opportunity to have a longer overall length to work with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOapUcZcbIo
View Quote

I actually watched this very video the other night.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:24:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im going to be picking up the rifle in the morning. He said if for some reason he doesn't think he will be able to find the mag he will refund the cost of a 25rd mag back to me.
Hes a regular seller on my local forum so I have no worries about him keeping his word.

On that note......who wants to sell me a 20 or 25rd mag or 2 ????
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Well I bit the bullet and picked up the rifle. Seller says 30rds or less down the pipe. It looks brand new.  Now to find some mags.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#38]
IM sent
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Well I bit the bullet and picked up the rifle. Seller says 30rds or less down the pipe. It looks brand new.  Now to find some mags.
View Quote
sounds like you got an outstanding deal then

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
IM sent
View Quote

Replied!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heck yea I thought this was the $1000 model sold my Armalite,  turns out the "B" model with the 2 stage trigger sells on their site for $1575.  This was a total score!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Heck yea I thought this was the $1000 model sold my Armalite,  turns out the "B" model with the 2 stage trigger sells on their site for $1575.  This was a total score!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. BUT, literally the only difference between the DEF10 and other models is the trigger. It's a really nice trigger though. Comes with 2 or 3 mags new, but you'll still be way under once you get mags.

Stalk armalite.com 762sass.com dsgarms.com and i hate to day it, but cheaper than dirt usually stocks them as well. Try impact guns, they used to stock them. The mags are out there.

Try a SKU search. I think lone star defense has some 5 and 10rd mags
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The A lower has a raised area from the mag catch down to the mag well opening and the mag well opening is at a steeper angle

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Teach me, oh wise ones.

Thanks. I learn something new everyday on arfcom.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, you did well.  I have two "B's" now in 16" and 20"...great rifles.  There's a well designed buffer system in there too.  These are some of the softer shooting .308 AR's out there, even the 16".  They are quite accurate too.  Both of mine shoot Federal 168g Matchkings,  Winchester ballistic tip 150g's, and others with easy 1-MOA...me being the occasional weak link.  Enjoy that thing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Armalite should be putting out a bunch of mags in the next month on their website and out to distributors.  Talked with them the other day.  Keep an eye on their Facebook page and website.  They said they would keep everyone up to date on when they would arrive.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Told ya, I paid $1200 for mine 6 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it is.

Nice looking rifle!

Can you provide the specs, I am putting together something very similar, and interested in the specs on the barrel and rail.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Buck_Naked --- it's a noveske n6 leonidas

basically a b series armalite with a
12.5" noveske barrel with intermediate gas system.  the rail was made
for noveske by sws (superior weapon systems) , they sell similar rails on their website.

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 1:06:37 AM EDT
[#49]
The rail is a SWS 10.3" E1 series HERE

Quoted:

basically a b series armalite with a 12.5" noveske barrel with intermediate gas system.  the rail was made for noveske by sws (superior weapon systems) , they sell similar rails on their website.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

basically a b series armalite with a 12.5" noveske barrel with intermediate gas system.  the rail was made for noveske by sws (superior weapon systems) , they sell similar rails on their website.  

Oh yes.....$400 for a rail.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top