Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2016 2:07:37 PM EDT
I ordered a .338 Federal barrel from McGowen for my LR-308. Has anyone loaded subs for this caliber? What are your thoughts on subs vs. supers in this caliber?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#1]
You have a lot of case capacity to deal with, and the really long .338 projectiles have very long ogives, so burying them in the case isn't an option.

The other problem, like with 300 Whisper/AAC, is that your long projectiles are meant to be pushed at magnum pressures into the rifling, so jacket construction is usually very tough.

The .338 Federal supersonic is a nice cartridge for supersonic use, and should suppress really well as a supersonic because you will have less muzzle pressure, with a larger diameter bore.

In my experience with different calibers, the larger bores with low pressures quiet down nicely, especially with lower pressure up front.

I would shoot super/suppressed.

What barrel length did you go with?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I ordered the 18" barrel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:59:30 AM EDT
[#3]
It should be perfect. The .338 in subsonic with a good suppressor Is golden.  you may want to start off with some 300gr loads.And your choice in barrels was great. Mcgowan precision made my 8" .338 Federal barrel for me and it is built and refined like a tank.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:15:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ordered the 18" barrel.
View Quote

Put a 338 suppressor on that and olit may be ungainly
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I first ordered a 16" barrel, but went to 18", as it really doesn't change much about the rifle, really. Thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated. My next move is a SilCo Hybrid, unless you have better suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:39:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It should be perfect. The .338 in subsonic with a good suppressor Is golden.  you may want to start off with some 300gr loads.And your choice in barrels was great. Mcgowan precision made my 8" .338 Federal barrel for me and it is built and refined like a tank.
View Quote
I sent you a PM, voonman.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top