Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/27/2016 12:31:42 PM EDT
Wilson Combat .338 Federal

These guns start with the company’s own in house machined receivers and add a 14.7? button rifled, match grade barrel. The barrel has a muzzle device pinned to the end to comply with NFA regs. A buyer may specify the muzzle device used, but the standard one is Accu-Tac flash hider. Standard and fluted barrels are both available. Unloaded, the guns weigh eight pounds with a non-fluted barrel.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Be nice if that cartridge got some more traction in industry.  That would be a great elk round.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Local hogs know the .338 AR10 I have very well.    
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Short-ish bbl on that 338 Federal probably barks :)

Great close-in pig-be-gone.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks awesome
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice rifle. Already own a AR 10 308 with a 12.5 inch barrel so don't need the wilson. But would give it serious consideration if I was in the market for a heavy hitter.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#6]
The magazine looks like the base plate is on backwards.  The picture that shows mag with the rounds has the base plate the same way.  I figured it would go on like the rest and that would help prevent an inadvertent bump of the plate against something solid from shooting off and rounds flying everywhere.  

It is still a nice gun though...
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, I do want one!

Since it's Wilson Combat, I definitely can't afford one.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The magazine looks like the base plate is on backwards.  The picture that shows mag with the rounds has the base plate the same way.  I figured it would go on like the rest and that would help prevent an inadvertent bump of the plate against something solid from shooting off and rounds flying everywhere.  

View Quote

Those are Lancer mags, and it's an optical illusion.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#9]
They are not selling the individual barrels...yet. Too bad, I have several of their barrels and they are awesome.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for clearing that up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:53:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Very interesting .Nice to see WIlson Combat jump on board. I still am enjoying my .338 Federal 8" SBR https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/680393_.html&page=1&error=2 ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbeyMebpwtU  
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:11:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

It has same or less case capacity, loaded, than 308 does it not?  Also has more bore volume.

However, it is perhaps loaded with slower powders??  
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup...Lancers are weird lookin' but so far the skinny is pretty decent.

Thinking of picking up a few.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:46:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It has same or less case capacity, loaded, than 308 does it not?  Also has more bore volume.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same case capacity as 308 but with more bore volume.  So with both chamberings firing the same weight bullet out of the same length barrel, the 338 will have the velocity edge.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#15]
.338 Federal uses faster burning powders because there is less bottle neck to resist a slow-burner.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#16]
The .338F is a great round that is much under rated IMO.  I built one many years ago on an 18" DPMS "fluted"* SS barrel and it is fantastic.  It is a true sub MOA shooter with 180 and 200 gr. TTSX bullets.  A friend's factory DPMS 20 inch is just as accurate and a little faster than mine but unfortunately, DPMS did not sell just a 20 inch barrel when I did mine.

*I put 'fluted' in quotes because only DPMS would consider them flutes, more like deep scratches if you ask me, which they did not.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top