Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2016 2:03:13 AM EDT
Going to build 308, planning on18" barrel.   What's the difference between carbine length gas tube vs rifle length?  Besides the length of hand guard I could use.  I do think I'd like the longer hand guard.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:47:46 AM EDT
[#1]
You're probably better off choosing a good barrel and then going with what it has. The 18"s I know of use a longer tube. I went with the mega.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:51:03 AM EDT
[#2]
You should experience less felt recoil due to the decreased dwell time if the overall barrel length is the same.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Going to build 308, planning on18" barrel.   What's the difference between carbine length gas tube vs rifle length?  Besides the length of hand guard I could use.  I do think I'd like the longer hand guard.
View Quote

I think I can tell what you're asking here.  I think an 18" barrel will often come with a mid-length gas system instead of rifle or carbine.  Even if available I don't think you'll want carbine...too harsh on the action, more recoil, etc.  18" barrels also come with rifle gas, so either rifle length or mid-length gas will work fine.  On the handguard, as long as you get a low profile gas block to fit under a handguard, you should be able to choose whatever length handguard you want.  Do you have any selections on barrel options at this point or just asking general questions?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for reply,  questions answered.   Looking at getting an Aero,  read good things about them.   Need to decide if a stainless steel is worth the extra few bucks or chrome lined.   Don't expect to be putting a large round count through it.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top