Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2016 4:48:19 AM EDT
Casons/Libery - Bad google reviews (bolts never shipped, bad headspace)

LJSarParts - C158 - http://ljsarparts.com/762x39-158-carpenter-bolt-with-extended-firing-pin_p_32.html

KTK Sales - C158 Nitrided (Is this fine? I've heard the QPQ process can make bolts brittle) - http://ktksales.com/products/762x39-bolt-complete-with-enhancedextended-firing-pin

Aim Surplus - 9310 - http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCG76239N3&name=AIM+AR%2fM16+7.62X39+Nitride+9310+MPI+BDG+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=723

Radical Firearms - 9310 - http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Radical_Firearms_7_62x39_AR15_M16_Bolt_Carrier_Gro_p/rf-7.62x39-bcg.htm

Rubber city armory - 9310 - http://www.tntesales.com/rca-7-62x39-enhanced-bolt-and-firing-pin/

LMT - ? - http://www.lmtstore.com/parts/l7r3b.html

Data points:

Tactical Ambush (I know, they took people's money and ran) - Their 9310 bolt Lasted me 2000-2500 rounds before a bolt lug cracked. 85% suppressed 10.5" Carbine.

I listed Radical Firearms, but they suck. Barrel extensions and gas keys come loose. I live 30 mins from them. Everyone in Houston hates them.

Does anyone have any experience with others? I'm eyeballing the AIM Surplus bolt. I wish I could do a luckygunner style test on all of them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I recently got a bolt and firing pin from PSA.http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar47-762x39-bolt-assembly.html
I don't have enough rounds through it to say if it will last, but certainly no complaints as of yet. They are using C158 steel and MPI.

I got that one after giving up on the Underground Tactical Arms bolt that was recommended to me by Adam Lilja (son of Dan and heir apparent to Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels). http://www.undergroundtactical.com/products/7-62-x-39-bolt-assembled.html.
This one appears to have been out of production for a while, but it does say to check back, so maybe they will eventually have a run of them in stock.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Young Manufacturing is doing them now that look outstanding. I'll be picking a few up in the near future.

Greg
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:16:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Out of the companies you list, I would get the AIM.

Currently I'm using an MGI.  Only have a few hundred rounds down range so far.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Data points:

Tactical Ambush (I know, they took people's money and ran) - Their 9310 bolt Lasted me 2000-2500 rounds before a bolt lug cracked. 85% suppressed 10.5" Carbine.

I listed Radical Firearms, but they suck. Barrel extensions and gas keys come loose. I live 30 mins from them. Everyone in Houston hates them.

Does anyone have any experience with others? I'm eyeballing the AIM Surplus bolt. I wish I could do a luckygunner style test on all of them.
View Quote

how is the suppressed 10.5 please tell me you have a video and any info would be appreciated I have a 10.5 I want to do a form 1 suppressor with and want to know what to expect and what length can to go with also when with a side charger and a syrac piston system to keep it cleaner and drilled out my gas hole from .072 to 1.09 just to  have more room with adjustment also went with taccom 10 percent less buffer spring and the taccom one ounce buffer. anyinfo
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 2 Givati Co 7.62X39 BCG and 16" barrels that I built up.
One has over 1400 rounds through it and 1500 on the other.

https://givaticompanyusa.3dcartstores.com/mobile/Bolt-Carrier-Group_c_14.html

Edit; In all fairness, the barrel extension came loose on 1 of the barrels but I have no problems yet with the BCG's.

Is LMT still selling theirs. They are suppose to be he best.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an RCA with RedX enhanced firing pin in no-name carrier mated with the GM 16" barrel. About 500rds of wolf black box, zero issues to date.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#7]
No one's mentioned LMT so I will, bought mine about 4 or 5 years ago when they announced they were stopping production of 7.62x39, no issues, runs great with all steel cased ammo and has been shooting a steady diet of Yugo corrosive M67. I think it's the best bolt on the market but also the most expensive. Last I looked the new LMTs were $180.

For a budget bolt the AIM Surplus looks pretty good and I've read a lot of positive reviews, no experience.

Also picked up a PSA AR47 upper last year, shoots great but the only complaint I had was that the wall around the bolt face was bevel cut so it seems to me that the weakest part of a 7.62x39 AR bolt is even thinner on this one.  
Maybe the bevel cut helps in feeding or extraction vs a 'standard' 7.62x39, never had any issues in the first few hundred rounds and have not read of any PSA bolt failures here.  I've not seen any other 7.62x39 bolt cut like that.

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted: I'm eyeballing the AIM Surplus bolt. I wish I could do a luckygunner style test on all of them.
View Quote

I bought this BCG from AIM at $109.95. I mated it to an Anderson Rifles upper assembly. Although I've only put 50 rounds through the rifle, function has been 100% perfect except for the hammer strike not reliably igniting hard primers. I hand loaded cartridges and they worked beautifully. I have a Wolff extra-power hammer spring on order that will hopefully solve the hard primer problem. This BCG includes an enhanced firing pin.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCG76239N3&name=AIM+AR%2fM16+7.62X39+Nitride+9310+MPI+BDG+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=723
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#9]
LMT Enhanced is the strongest 7.62x39 bolt on the market.

The only thing that breaks on it is the proprietary extractor because the bolt face depth is too shallow, but to accommodate the existing barrel market, .124" face depth makes the most sense from a marketing standpoint.

This topic has been extensively covered over the years.  Here's a good thread covering it with lots of pics.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

how is the suppressed 10.5 please tell me you have a video and any info would be appreciated I have a 10.5 I want to do a form 1 suppressor with and want to know what to expect and what length can to go with also when with a side charger and a syrac piston system to keep it cleaner and drilled out my gas hole from .072 to 1.09 just to  have more room with adjustment also went with taccom 10 percent less buffer spring and the taccom one ounce buffer. anyinfo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Data points:

I have a video on youtube shooting a subsonic 7.62x39 round. I plan to do more with it. It's pretty amazing that it works considering it's a 10.5" carbine. We have many videos in our storage of it.

It's an amazing rifle..

The rifle is actually my brother's. Here is his video (go easy, it's like his first vid):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxlKCaaTlpw - Light primer strikes with Tula. Only happens with Tula.

It has gone through many changes since this last pic. He now has:

Aero ultra light scope mount
AFG
CPD 28 round mags (amazing, compact)

I may try the AIM Surplus bolts since they're a well known company and the price on their Melonite BCG is the price of some bolts.. I will keep a round count and report back with a new thread.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the KTK Sales bollt and no problems so far but I only 300 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Most of the vendors mentioned in this thread do not make bolts, never have, and never will.

They are sourcing them from machine shops, then run through kilns, and who knows what the QC process is.

You can get a good batch one run, then a worthless batch the next from the same places if there is no tight controls on QC and processes.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#13]
2nd on the LMT bolt.  I was able to get ahold of one of them a couple of years ago when they quit manufacturing.  I called and they said there were only 24 more in stock, placed an order.  I ordered an "enhanced firing pin" from somewhere, slept since then and can't remember where.

I still had about 20% light strikes on steel cased tula.  I ground down the tail of the bolt by ~.002 and has been gtg ever since.  I don't have a high round count on it, only about 700 rounds so far.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:48:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I would be careful removing material from the bolt.

The Bushmaster BAR-10's broke on the bolt tail IIRC, not that I doubt LMT's superior controls over metallurgy.

I would get a longer firing pin at the tip if you are trying to activate deep-seated/hard Tula primers.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 1:08:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Does the brand that can't be named have exclusive rights to the bolt and extension similar to the Knight's enhanced bolt and extension?  Seems like that's the easy answer to bolt strength for not only 7.62x39 but also 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 1:20:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does the brand that can't be named have exclusive rights to the bolt and extension similar to the Knight's enhanced bolt and extension?  Seems like that's the easy answer to bolt strength for not only 7.62x39 but also 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC.
View Quote

No, that design was introduced by Professional Ordnance decades ago with the Carbon 15.

Someone else owns the patents to it who came along way before the 3x banned vendor.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 5:10:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I have the radical melonite x39 bolt and it has lasted close to 1000 rounds now
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought my 7.62x39 bolt from Sota arms  .Anyone know who makes them. I don't have a lot of rounds through it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have the radical melonite x39 bolt and it has lasted close to 1000 rounds now
View Quote

same here mine is right around 1k and going strong.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Casons/Liberty are not the same company.

I've personally dealt with Liberty Gun Works and they totally ripped me off.

Cason Engineering I have not had the pleasure of dealing with them but from what I understand they have a great reputation and product.

The LMT is always a good option as well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Are any of these 'stronger' bolts compatible with the Colt 7.62x39 upper?  I heard these bolts were somehow different, but no body has had an answer yet.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Any of these bolts should fit your Colt 7.62X39.

http://www.lmtstore.com/parts/l7r3b.html
$182 shipped from LMT
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice that you put a listing of various x39 bolt manufacturers in your original post. Let's other know what is out there and is a start point for comments.

I have the Rubber City bolt and carrier. No issues, but I have only a few hundred low stress rounds through it. I will say that the bolt looks very well made and very well finished. Has nitride treatment. I expect it will perform well. When I was looking for a bolt this one struck a good balance to me of cost vs. quality and specs, and it did not disappoint.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 1:14:15 AM EDT
[#24]
LRRP, Hopefully I haven't messed anything up by filing that .002 off.  But, it has worked spot on since I did it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 1:27:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Cason Engineering!
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 1:33:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Cason Engineering I have not had the pleasure of dealing with them but from what I understand they have a great reputation and product.

View Quote

The same has been true about Cason/LGW lately. Their google reviews have been extremely bad about the last 6 months. Doesn't seem worth it, even knowing it's a good bolt..
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 1:34:52 AM EDT
[#27]
How long has LMT had theirs on their site? I've heard people saying that you can only get them through phone call.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 2:26:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How long has LMT had theirs on their site? I've heard people saying that you can only get them through phone call.
View Quote

Quite some time as I have had that page saved for about 9 months.
I ordered one this eve. Received order confirmation. I guess we'll see if it goes through.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#29]
LMT does indeed have them in stock right now - talked to them a few minutes ago and they said it took a while to get more of the material they use for these bolts to make another run of them. Once these are gone, it'll probably take a while to get more in stock, so I went ahead and ordered one as a spare.

Bird
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#30]
What does LMT do differently to their bolts that make them the best? better material? thicker wall?
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The same has been true about Cason/LGW lately. Their google reviews have been extremely bad about the last 6 months. Doesn't seem worth it, even knowing it's a good bolt..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cason is not Liberty. Liberty used to buy their bolts from Cason.  Cason makes an awesome bolt that should not break. LMT also makes an awesome bolt that should not break. Either of them will serve you well for some time to come. I would use either one without hesitation and do. Of all the bolts out there, these are the 2 go to if you do not want to have problems with your bolts. The others will last some time but will break sooner rather than later.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What does LMT do differently to their bolts that make them the best? better material? thicker wall?
View Quote

They make them out of better steel.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:05:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I've run 3 bolts.
DPMS which they no longer produce, too bad I have had that bolt about 5 yrs with about 8,000 rounds on and still going strong.
SOTA Arms....issue with extractor not extracting, got rid of and went around and around with them so junked it.
BLACK RIFLE ARMS which I have about 2,500 to 3,000 on currently and still running it.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I ordered one this eve. Received order confirmation. I guess we'll see if it goes through.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Received LMT bolt.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Contacted Carson and this is what I was told:

All of our bolts are going in our guns, But Cordelia Gun Exchange (707) 864-2666 has one in stock as does STS Guns in Folsom Ca.  

Thanks

Brad Cason
President
Cason Engineering

I contacted those two places, and they never got back to me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I just got my Aim Nitride 7.62x39 bolt it. It's extremely nice.. The firing pin protrudes a good bit too. It's very slick..

I'm still going through the old Tactical Ambush bolt.. It has just about 200 rounds in it. When it breaks, I will begin testing of the Aim bolt. May be like a year or two from now until it breaks. XD.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#37]
ya I had a model one bolt but sold it in my long barrel upper and still have the tactical ambush NIB coated boat and just cleaned my gun after 500 rounds or more with the syrac piston and all carbon and grime came off with a dry rag on the bolt face no dirt or carbon anywhere else in the gun even barrel looks like new
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMT also has proprietary 'lobster claw' extractor.
Not sure how long LMT has been making theirs, but if you dig back 5 or so years on this forum you'll see that LMT and the ARP Superbolt were the top dogs in reliable bolts, then around the same time they both stopped production. Eventually LMT started back up but it's never been listed on their website, I only heard about it on this forum.

Just to clarify, as much as I like my LMT it's also 3x what a basic 7.62x39 AR bolt goes for these days. And I can't say that over time my LMT will outlast three off the shelf bolts. But it's been out there longer than anyone else's bolt, and it has a solid track record.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#39]
I bought a barrel and BCG from Parallax since they are nearby and I was sold on the x39.  I'm not sure who they have manufacture them, but hopefully they are not junk.  Anyone have an idea as to the quality?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 3:17:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
LMT Enhanced is the strongest 7.62x39 bolt on the market.

The only thing that breaks on it is the proprietary extractor because the bolt face depth is too shallow, but to accommodate the existing barrel market, .124" face depth makes the most sense from a marketing standpoint.

This topic has been extensively covered over the years.  Here's a good thread covering it with lots of pics.
View Quote

Are the extractors available by themselves?  Is the LMP112 the same extractor for 556 and 762?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Has any broken a Cason Engineering bolt? I think I'm going to go with them over LMT because I don't want proprietary extractor and springs
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I just thought I'd bite the bullet and order one of the $170 LMT bolt. I added it to my cart, then I discovered they wanted $15 to ship the dang bolt to Colorado. I passed. That's absurd.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a Cason and have well over 2k on it maybe even 3k all Russian steel cased ammo. When I bought it they told me they had never had a bolt broken or returned.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#44]
< "Blah Blah Blah" spam removed - F >
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Young Manufacturing has 7.62x39 bolts.   I bought one but haven't used it yet.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top