Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2015 6:21:00 PM EDT
I have a customer looking to build a 300 Blackout with 16" barrel. I am recommending the 16" Faxon with Carbine gas system. I just want to make sure that he will be able to shoot all ammo from 110-220 with and without a suppressor.

Will the Faxon with Carbine gas give him any problems?

Thanks for your help
jonblack
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#1]
What's the size of the gas port? .125 will shoot everything.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:38:00 AM EDT
[#2]
The consensus seems to be Pistol length gas system is more reliable with subs...........I have three blacks........two with carbine gas and one with pistol..........I have yet to fire a sub in any of them..........but on this Forum, Pistol is what everybody says works the best for subs.............
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally I would recommend a pistol length gas system.  

yes a carbine gas system can be made to shoot almost everything.  however if your customer is going to reload.  then a pistol gas length gives him many more options for certain powders and subsonic that will not work with a carbine gas system, or at least are problematic.

I have a carbine gas 16 inch that will cycle subs and supers suppressed and unsupressed, but i am limited with the powders I can use to create function in all 4 scenarios.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

In addition to the gas port size mentioned above, a reduced power buffer spring will help reliability as well.  Gas tubes do not exceed 0.120" ID so drilling the gas port larger than that won't buy you anything.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am not sure of the gas port size. I do not see that information on the Faxon site when viewing from an iPad. I will check again on a desktop when I can.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In addition to the gas port size mentioned above, a reduced power buffer spring will help reliability as well.  Gas tubes do not exceed 0.120" ID so drilling the gas port larger than that won't buy you anything.
View Quote

Good point. I have never considered that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am not sure of the gas port size. I do not see that information on the Faxon site when viewing from an iPad. I will check again on a desktop when I can.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to Faxon -

Gas Port Diameter: .107"

I would look for something with pistol gas.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

According to Faxon -

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to Faxon -

Thanks for the info. I will pass this along to my customer. He's going to be a little saddened because he really wanted to go with the Faxon. I talked him out of a Noveske because I really don't see him being able to get $400+ worth out of a 300 Blackout barrel that he probably really isn't going to shoot much (according to him). We stock Anderson pistol gas 16" barrels but he was a little concerned about the cheap price.

I have just started stocking the Anderson barrels so I don't have enough experience with them to ease his concerns about a low priced barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top