Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2015 5:16:05 PM EDT
Took it out today finally. Took wally world ZQ ammo to sight it in.. No feeding or extraction issues and I didn't see the signs of damage to the bolt. But my groups.....

These are groups with with Winchester white box...

First group looked promising...on a warm bore...

But this was a cold bore with the same ammo, aiming at the black dot...

Do you see potential here or should it go back to PSA?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure the groups will tighten a little, but you get what you pay for , if you want the rounds touching probably need to look at higher quality.... looks like it could kill a human sized target just fine
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm sure the groups will tighten a little, but you get what you pay for , if you want the rounds touching probably need to look at higher quality.... looks like it could kill a human sized target just fine
View Quote

7moa is pretty excessive...

Add on to that...I had to send it back right out of the box. It had a damaged bolt from test firing....which seems to be caused by loose tolerances between upper and carrier...
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Get some match grade ammo, bipod/bag up front, support in back and try again to see how it does. If it still has 7MOA (or whatever it was with Walmart ammo) I wouldn't be too pleased at all.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get some match grade ammo, bipod/bag up front, support in back and try again to see how it does. If it still has 7MOA (or whatever it was with Walmart ammo) I wouldn't be too pleased at all.
View Quote

The groups weren't the ZQ stuff, the groups were with either white box winchester or American Eagle...I think it was AE actually...
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#5]
What's your twist rate?  My 1/10 doesn't like AE or WWB that much BUT will shoot a boat tail in the same weight range pretty well.

At least you have true randomness to your group AND the bullets aren't hitting the target sideways.

Try diagnosing this:

[youtube][/youtube]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Go grab a few boxes of different ammo, preferably match ammo and try that first.

If you're still getting those groups then yes, send it back.

Edit: what optic were you using? Irons sights or something mounted? Swap something else on it if you can.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like you were getting decent groups with something 5.56 too?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#8]
What range?  What are you running for sights or optics?  If you're shooting irons or an RDS with >2 MOA dot, you can't expect to do much better than 3 MOA with good loads, larger with ball.  Even using good glass, a good trigger and sand bags, expect no better than 2 MOA with ball ammo.

My 18" SSK15 PA-10 built on an Ares signature lower runs 1.5-2 MOA with ball ammo, 1.2 with 155 gr. Hornady A-max hand loads.  Haven't tested 168 gr Matchkings yet.  This is with an inexpensive 6x mil dot optic and a crap trigger; may do better with better glass and a good single stage.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah. Stock trigger does suck. The 556 was a PSA build with a 2 stage rra trigger. I was going back and forth between the rifles. Big difference.

Optic is a 3 to 9 Bushnell.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:40:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What's your twist rate?  My 1/10 doesn't like AE or WWB that much BUT will shoot a boat tail in the same weight range pretty well.

At least you have true randomness to your group AND the bullets aren't hitting the target sideways.

Try diagnosing this:

[youtube]http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=71788[/youtube]
View Quote

My guess would be an optic issue.  Not holding zero in the vertical.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Try diagnosing this:

View Quote

Vertical stringing.... Is the gas block touching the inside of the rail? Or Do you have a scope mount that is mounted to both the upper receiver and the rail both?
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#12]
What distance?  What position?  How much experience do you have shooting self loaders with a full power rifle round?  Have you shot other semi auto .30 cals with better accuracy results?
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#13]
WWB and AE are both not very high quality ammo either.  Don't expect exceptional accuracy from either.  You should be trying match grade ammo like FGGM, Black Hills, etc.  Then do as recommended above and properly bag/rest the rifle.  That should tell you a lot more about the accuracy.  Never base your accuracy assumptions off of one load; some guns are finicky with what they like to shoot.  
Also, replace the trigger.  AR triggers suck for consistency and accuracy since most average 7-9lbs.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Try diagnosing this:

View Quote

I seem to remember this happening to another person and it was the gas tube not fitting correctly
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top