Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2015 6:31:25 PM EDT
I read where the DMPS .308's come with a too- light buffer weight, and it was recommended to go to a heavier buffer, along with the compatible spring. I ordered the Car-10 buffer ( Brownell's part # 100-007-353) for my Oracle, which uses a carbine extension tube, and the modified spring ( part # 100-007-354) to go with the buffer. The heavier buffer weighs 5.5 ounces, compared to the stock buffer, which weighs 3.9 ounces, not much more than a 5.56mm weight, which goes 3.7 ounces. At the same time I thought I'd get a low profile adjustable gas block. There were several brands that looked Identical, teardrop shape with a brass set screw to lock the adjustment screw once you found your setting. I ordered one made by Doublestar, it was around $60.
Upon trying it out today, I expected to be able to get the AR to short stroke once I turned the gas down enough, then I would open it back up a turn. Problem was , I kept turning in the adjustment screw, and kept turning it in, and the carbine kept cycling, until I had turned the screw all the way in. It is all the way in, which should be cutting off all gas, turning it into a single shot. The carbine kept cycling the whole time, only difference noted, was right at the last few shots with the adjustment screw turned all the way in, the brass ejected to 4 o'clock instead of the normal 2 o'clock pattern. It doesn't seem like the new adjustable gas block is doing anything. At this point I  guess I will take the gas block off, and try to see if the screw is actually closing. Perhaps there is something I can do, such as blowing compressed air through it  to see if it is doing it's job. Any suggestions ?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a small rubber hose and push it onto the gas tube inside the upper to apply air pressure backwards on the block. Then listen and adjust to make sure it's centered over the gas hole and has good flow.

You might also want to check that your gas block isn't leaking around the block itself where it's mounted. If you had bad fitment, and enough gas was leaking, the adjustments my be useless.

Checking the block itself is also a good idea. There is no way it should cycle with the gas turned off.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Were you initially having a problem that made you worry about what other people were saying about the buffer?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Were you initially having a problem that made you worry about what other people were saying about the buffer?
View Quote

Mine was pretty heavily overgassed, it would leave heavy extraction marks on the cases and beat up the rear of the ejection port.
I put on a $45 RCA adjustable gas key and that tamed it down.  No buffers and springs, just the key.
It's now noticeably softer shooting and my brass will last longer.
It would have beat itself up if I had run it with the suppressor before adding the RCA key.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top