Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2015 9:37:49 AM EDT
I had a post not too long ago about a caliber decision. Well after some thought and deciding to buy a barrel, I went 6.5 Creedmoor. I purchased a Rainier Arms 22" Ultramatch barrel. I have bought a lot of items from Rainier over the years and am hoping my luck extends to the barrels they put their name on. Anyone have any experience with these barrels?

I actually bought other parts to complete another 6.5 Grendel build. I like my current Grendel so much, that the ability to use some of the same components to reload for the Creedmoor was appealing. Rainier had the barrels on hand which was also nice.  

I am going to go with an SLR adjustable gas block thanks to the excellent tech info from LRRPF52 and many others here. So the gas block and forearm are the only parts left to complete my AR10. The same items are needed to complete the Grendel build as well. Both will need glass and mounts,  but those are items I am saving up for because they will cost some money.

Looking forward to getting to know the Creedmoor and working up loads for it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#1]
What receivers are you using? What kind of buffer system? Id suggest LaRue mags as they will give you the most COAL of the SR25 mags style mags.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm waiting on this barrel myself. (Back ordered). It's the last component I need to complete my build. Everything I could find/read on the web about this barrel was extremely positive.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the suggestion on the mags.

The receivers is an Aero M5 set. No issues with the lower parts. Everything has gone pretty good so far. Figured I would give them a try and if I didn't like them I would switch to something else. I may still switch to Mega at some point or just buy a Mega set as an excuse to build another rifle. That is how I am ending up with another Grendel, had a complete lower sitting around and decided to use it.

Buffer is rifle length AR-10 buffer in a PRS (A1 receiver extension). The adjustable gas block with just allow adjustment if necessary as there seem to be over gassing issues reported.

The AR-10 route is definitely different than the AR-15 is. Not too different from when I started a AR-10 project 5 years ago on Armalite receivers. Finding out the differences in the manufacturers products makes it an interesting trip. Sometimes I wish I had finished that rifle off, it would have been pretty nice.

Was going to go 308 on that one. Still plan for a 308 sometime. Now that I am going with a Creedmoor I am pretty satisfied. Just another caliber to mess with.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm waiting on this barrel myself. (Back ordered). It's the last component I need to complete my build. Everything I could find/read on the web about this barrel was extremely positive.
View Quote

Thanks RUSirius. Good to know. It seems as though it would be a good choice to go with. I as going to order one from Krieger, but figured I would go with the Rainier. If I really like the platform and caliber I can always use one in another build.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestion on the mags.

The receivers is an Aero M5 set. No issues with the lower parts. Everything has gone pretty good so far. Figured I would give them a try and if I didn't like them I would switch to something else. I may still switch to Mega at some point or just buy a Mega set as an excuse to build another rifle. That is how I am ending up with another Grendel, had a complete lower sitting around and decided to use it.

Buffer is rifle length AR-10 buffer in a PRS (A1 receiver extension). The adjustable gas block with just allow adjustment if necessary as there seem to be over gassing issues reported.

The AR-10 route is definitely different than the AR-15 is. Not too different from when I started a AR-10 project 5 years ago on Armalite receivers. Finding out the differences in the manufacturers products makes it an interesting trip. Sometimes I wish I had finished that rifle off, it would have been pretty nice.

Was going to go 308 on that one. Still plan for a 308 sometime. Now that I am going with a Creedmoor I am pretty satisfied. Just another caliber to mess with.
View Quote

As the owner of a Mega (also in 6.5 CM) I got a close look at the Aero M5 set last week.  Nice stuff.  Honestly unless you really just want the Mega, you'll really like the Aero.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#6]
The more I read about the 6.5 Creedmoor the more I like the idea of having an AR in that caliber.  The 6.5 Grendel has proven the same thing that 6.5 calibers all around the world have proved, that 6.5 is the "magic" sweet spot.  I'll be following your build Wile!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks SCW. The Aero set seem really nice. The lines and finish are very clean. I had read some issues with Aero, but I have yet to run into any myself. The Mega route is just a preference as I have been using Mega for years and really like them. Oh well, another purchase,excuse and rifle is in the future plans.

Hey Brandi. Anything new on that Grendel of yours? Mine has had a few changes (are any of these projects ever really done?). I had a Mega forged set sitting around, so it is getting built too. This time it will be an 18" rig. I am interested to see how it turns out and shoots. I am with you on the 6.5, it's the main reason I am going to end up with 2 more 6.5's completed right around the same time.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I love 6.5's I've thought about a Creedmore in a AR 10 but ive got to finish my Grendel SBR then build a 18" Grendel. After all that a 6.5 Creedmore sounds good with a 22" barrel
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I also have been bitten by the 6.5 bug.  Two Grendels, and more recently, a Tikka T3 in 6.5x55.  Maybe a Creedmoor is next on the list.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I love 6.5's I've thought about a Creedmore in a AR 10 but ive got to finish my Grendel SBR then build a 18" Grendel. After all that a 6.5 Creedmore sounds good with a 22" barrel
View Quote

Haha, sounds familiar. I have a 20" Grendel, the 18" is in progress and the 6.5 Creedmoor in progress is 22".

Luiquidmetal, the 6.5 bug is bad (at least it has been for me). It is an interesting caliber. After the first Grendel, then came the supplies/equipment for loading. Then the other rifles and platforms started. Brandi has also been bitten pretty bad. Seems like a lot of people are in that boat.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Liquidmetal, the 6.5 bug is bad (at least it has been for me). It is an interesting caliber. After the first Grendel, then came the supplies/equipment for loading. Then the other rifles and platforms started. Brandi has also been bitten pretty bad. Seems like a lot of people are in that boat.

View Quote

When I was shopping for my newest 6.5 bolt gun, I looked long and hard at the Creedmoor.  I am not a handloader (yet), so in the end I chose the Swede.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks SCW. The Aero set seem really nice. The lines and finish are very clean. I had read some issues with Aero, but I have yet to run into any myself. The Mega route is just a preference as I have been using Mega for years and really like them. Oh well, another purchase,excuse and rifle is in the future plans.

Hey Brandi. Anything new on that Grendel of yours? Mine has had a few changes (are any of these projects ever really done?). I had a Mega forged set sitting around, so it is getting built too. This time it will be an 18" rig. I am interested to see how it turns out and shoots. I am with you on the 6.5, it's the main reason I am going to end up with 2 more 6.5's completed right around the same time.
View Quote

Nothing new, between my disability issues and everything else I've not had a chance to go stretch iit out.  I'm chomping at the bit but this time of year is brutally hot, once it cools down I'll hit up a friend with access to the longer distance range.  I have some Wolf Gold ammo, courtesy of the folks at AA, that I want to try out.  Haven't gotten any of the Wolf Match yet.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nothing new, between my disability issues and everything else I've not had a chance to go stretch iit out.  I'm chomping at the bit but this time of year is brutally hot, once it cools down I'll hit up a friend with access to the longer distance range.  I have some Wolf Gold ammo, courtesy of the folks at AA, that I want to try out.  Haven't gotten any of the Wolf Match yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to hear your shooting activities have been curtailed. Hopefully that changes soon. It is hot out here too and the last time I was down in FL it was pretty warm as well. Keep me posted on your longer range trips. I am out in NM right now for work, but may end up in CO for another job. Out here I have started to stretch my Grendel's legs slowly.

Do you do any reloading? If not, you should look at getting into it. I find that as interesting and enjoyable as the shooting.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sorry to hear your shooting activities have been curtailed. Hopefully that changes soon. It is hot out here too and the last time I was down in FL it was pretty warm as well. Keep me posted on your longer range trips. I am out in NM right now for work, but may end up in CO for another job. Out here I have started to stretch my Grendel's legs slowly.

Do you do any reloading? If not, you should look at getting into it. I find that as interesting and enjoyable as the shooting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No reloading yet, it's something we've decided we will do once we can afford to buy equipment and get the space to put it.  Until then we are just saving brass for future re-use.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top