Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 11:25:55 AM EDT
Hey guys, I have an opportunity to pick one of these up on trade in .308.  I'm finding very good accuracy reviews of it, but also some not-so-good reliability reviews.  Does anyone own one here or have extensive experience with one that could give me some feedback?

Also, I'd be sending the barrel off to ADCO for threading and likely removing the camo finish and making some minor changes to it.  I'm fairly certain I'd still be ahead cost wise versus building I think, especially if they're as accurate as I'm reading.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a DPMS first gen rifle with Remington stamped on the side.

It's probably the same specs as my DPMS lite hunter but with an aluminum handguard.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's probably the same specs as my DPMS lite hunter but with an aluminum handguard.
View Quote

I thought they used a different barrel, but everything else is DPMS.

To fix the reliability, it needs lots of oil, a better buffer spring, and cycle the action about a hundred times before any firing. Of the few I've handled, they all felt very gritty. But the well used one i handled at the local shop felt smooth.

They're decent of you get a good price. Nothing major to get them to run good, just minor tweaking and breaking in.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's definitely a Remmy badged DPMS, which is a plus in my opinion.  I'd love to hear some feedback from actual owners here, especially to confirm or conflict with what I've read about them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Get it while you can. They will be switching to the G2 pattern soon.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#5]
While I don't have one of the R-25's, a friend did... it ran 100% on a variety of ammo. I do have two DPMS LR rifles, one in .308 and one in 6.5CM, they shoot good.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Take the bolt assembly and soak it in Mobil 1 10/w30 full synthetic at least 24 hrs. Put it back in the gun pretty wet and run it. Sounds crazy but Hey, It worked for me and a friend of mine also. Also if you want to get rid of the camo furniture, Let me know.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#7]
A friend has one.  It's heavy, reliable, tough, and it works...and quite accurate.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#8]
My R-25 has DPMS upper/lower with a Remington barrel.The 20" upper is heavier than $hit! Built another upper with a light 16" Brownells barrel for 3 gun. I don't know whose trigger it is, but it's a very light/smooth 2 stage trigger. I usually put in an aftermaket trigger but I'm running the stock trigger for a while since its so nice. The Remington barrel is very accurate also. The heavy barrel profile helps it on long strings.
If you can get it for a good price, jump on it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I had one in .243. It was reliable (only shot my handloads in it) , after I got rid of the DMPS steel magzine and got 7.62 Magpul PMags. The camo finish must be hydro dipped or something, it wasn't real durable. It was flaking off the Picatinny rail where the scope rings clamped and the ejector lump where the brass dinged off when ejecting. There is a white undercoat to make the camo stand out better, and after the camo chips you'll be seeing the white undercoat. The trigger was heavy, same as my DPMS Oracle .308. It will need to be worked over or just replace it with a good aftermarket. I put a Minox 4-14 scope on it and my best groups were in the 1 inch range at 100 yards, with 80-85 grain bullets. those are prairie dog mounds in the pics, as far as you can see. made some 400 yard + shots with the .243.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Bump

Does anyone know when the G2 version comes out? I'm kind of digging the stoxk on it. I hope they will have a black version.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I have owned and hunted with one for 4 years.  Mine is a .308win and is very accurate.  It just takes a lot of concentration to shoot it well because the trigger has a ton of creep.  The pull weight is not bad but though.  

I can easily shoot it sub MOA without to much effort but to get it .5 MOA (which it can do) it takes some effort.  I won't complain too much.

It is a SOFT shooting gun, much nicer to shoot than any other big game caliber in my safe. Mine has not had the finish issues that some have had and I use it in the woods every deer season.  I think some of them had a finish that did not adhere well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I mentioned earlier that a friend has one of these.  I actually got to shoot it last Friday while he was sighting in a new optic.  As most, I thought the R25 was just a basic DPMS of some kind.  Because of this thread and because I got to shoot it, I looked at this rifle more closely.  It's a nicer build/finish than I thought.  This thing had a fluted barrel, nice FF handguard, and finish was nicer than most.  It's a 20" barrel model, and it was very accurate.  I had my 20" barrel Armalite .308 there too, shooting side-by-side, and it performed identically...soft recoil, accurate, and heavy.  It had a good trigger too, and he hasn't changed it from stock.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Any suggestions on getting the rail off a R25?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Uh, it is the upper like all flat tops.  Not coming off.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I have owned three of the R25 rilfes, all in .308 Win. They were all excellent for accuracy, and one was consistently MOA or better with a wide variety of factory .308 ammo, 125 gr to 200 gr.

The original hammer springs were TOO LIGHT for reliable detonation of hard primer 7.62 military ammo, so they were replaced.  
One rifle got an Armalite AR 10 three way adjustable trigger, one got a 2 lb JARD single stage [ MAJOR pain in the butt to install ] and one got a decent 5 lb pull after I worked over the stock parts.

I sold my aluminum DPMS mags and used the plastic P-mags exclusively.  Absolutely no failures to feed with the pmags and all ammo from 125 to 200 gr.

I sold all of my Rem R25s and replaced them with a DPMS LR308B.  The LR308B comes with an 18" HEAVY barrel, and unfortunately they moved the gas port back to carbine length with this one.  Which has resulted in some OVERGASSING with certain brands of hi performance ammo.  I find the NOSLER 168 gr Match ammo, which is labeled at 100 fps faster than 168 GR federal GMM, to be a bit too hot.  Primers are cratered, brass gets indented with the extractor cut, etc.  I will probably/eventually fit an adjustable gas block on this one.

Accuracy is SUPERB.  With factory .308 Win ammo, and the HORRIBLE trigger, Sub-MOA is quite do able.  A better trigger would definitely yield better consistency.
However, so far the 7.62 NATO accuracy is not so good.  3" with LCM BALL.  Hoping to get better than that with Hirtenberger, if i can ever find some.

All in all, the Rem R25 is a heav, FUGLY CAMOED version of the DPMS LR308B.  But the rifle length gas port location sure makes for a more versatile, reliable,  and forgiving system.
as with any free opinions expressed on the ninterent,
YPMMV
LAZ 1
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#16]
The fugly camo works well for me and makes it less controversial with knot heads who don't think people should hunt with ARs.  It is a wolf in sheep's clothing so to speak.  

I would much rather have a rifle length in a battle rifle, reliability is paramount.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope

well the barrel is made by Remington.

Ive had a 308 R25 since 2008. no problems at all. the finish is like new.
up until recently i had been shooting the hell out of it. I make my own rounds, its seen little factory ammo.
I plan on keeping it as built from the factory, but one of these days im gonna pull the barrel and have it threaded.

it appears that the tube would get un screwed and then the reciever end of the tube is a separate part
I dunno

but I like it, may as well keep it. I have just been shooting my SCAR a lot.

all the listed complaints i havent had an issue with, the trigger i replaced
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:58:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's mine with a few modifications including a Giselle trigger. No problems with it so far. Academy Sports had some in black.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top