Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2015 1:22:33 PM EDT
I have had my Rem 700 .270 for around 20 years and have killed tons of hogs, deer of all kinds, caribou, etc. But it's a heavy pig. Would it be crazy to sell it to finance a 6.5 Grendel to be a lighter replacement? The farthest animal I have killed with my .270 was only about 200yds. I can't see a real negative

I still have a .338WM for bigger animals.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]
6.5G has a number of bullets that will take those kinds of game animals easily out to 200 yards and more.

I bought an AA Lightweight upper that shoots really, really nice.  The finished gun weighs about 8 lbs with scope.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The .270 win is nostalgic in my family. Each generation has had one in either a Rem 700 or a Win M70 configuration. I personally would not sell any of my .270 rifles because most are heirlooms. As to your question, I'm not sure that a .270 will do anything that a 6.5 won't, in fact, the opposite may be true. If you want to build a grendel, why not go for it? I don't have a rifle chambered in that cartridge, but I hear really good things.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont get to hunt much anymore, or at all actually, due to medical issues but I had always carried a Savage 116 FCSS .30-06 which isn't that heavy but the recoil and noise was a beast.  Not necessarily over kill, powerwise, for deer but definitely more than necessary, so I had a 6.5G/.264LBC built for me.  Lightweight, very light recoil, fast follow up shots without losing the target in the scope, incredible ballistics and amazing accuracy.  What's not to love?  Should I ever get the opportunity to hunt again, the 6.5 Grendel is definitely my first choice.

The first time I shot mine, before it was even sighted in fully, I thought "wow, didn't know I could shoot this good!" LOL.  Granted it wasn't a really long shot but you'll see once you get your own.  Go for it!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Go for it. I don't think you'll look back
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#5]
My .270 Winchester is collecting dust.  I won't sell it because it was my dad's, and is a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester.  I haven't shot it in a long time.  You need to pay close attention to what bullet you use with the .270 because the velocity is so high with most 130gr factory ammo, and the bullets don't hold up well.  Often times, that's just fine on medium game, but not big game for a vitals shot.

140gr SST or premium bullets are better in the .270 Win. for more penetration.

With a 6.5 Grendel, you'll be able to practice more often with it, since the recoil is so low, and ammo cost is less than .270 Win.

Speeds aren't so fast that bullets come apart, even when using cup and core pills, so you get very predictable performance on game, with reliable expansion and penetration for fast kills.  You also can have a much lighter rifle, even with the AR15, and with the right set-up with the recoil and operating systems, it will barely move off target.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah find a lightweight 16" bbl and go for it.

I built a 6.8 on a cav lower, LW barrel and that rifle dry weighed 6# with a UL leupold scope.

Was a pleasure to carry into the woods hanging on your neck and easy to lift with one hand.
Great great woods gun and good in small box stands.

Probably the best LW hunter I ever owned.

6.5G would be about the same.

I am probably going to do a 277 Wolverine lightweight next.

It will kill deer or hogs just as well as the  6.5G or 6.8 spc.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:52:42 AM EDT
[#7]
OP, you sound like me. I deer hunt with a heavy sako 7mm Mag and the longest shot I've ever had on game was at 200 yards, and I didn't even have that rifle with me and made the shot with a 22-250. I also have a 375 H&H in case someone goes crazy and opens all the gates at the zoo.

I love the 7mag and it was my father's.  So, it has tremendous sentimental value to me. But, it's heavy and I find myself packing my 16" folding stock 300 savage contender when stand hunting or bear hunting anymore.

TL;DR - I'm in the same boat and considering a light as possible 6.5 to hunt with as well.  Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#8]
ost
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#9]
300 blackout is pretty good hunting round as well and alot cheaper to find nowadays. Can shoot subsonic and really light recoil.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Any good sources for lightweight 6.5 barrels? My 6.5 is a surplus special and I imagine I could shave quite a bit of weight by using a different handguard. But the Black Hole Weaponry barrel is still a bit chunky.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm interested to hear about weight savings. AR's aren't generally light. What mags do hunters use? .270 Winchester is way more strong medicine.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm interested to hear about weight savings. AR's aren't generally light. What mags do hunters use? .270 Winchester is way more strong medicine.
View Quote

I'd hope to get my rifle to weigh 7lbs including scope.

5 or 10rd

.270 is great to be sure, but I've never used it to it's full potential. I wouldn't even take a 4-500yd shot on an elephant.  The Grendel seems to be able to do "damn near" what the .270 Winchester can do, but with less recoil in a lighter rifle for the 250yd max shots I would be taking.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Okay this is my setup AR15 6.8 SPC that weighed 6# dry.

Cav II lower - std trigger
DMPS flat top upper and bolt carrier.
Typical spring and buffer. Cant remember which.
Cardinal lightweight 16" bbl with a thread protector. If I remember correctly I got the bolt from Cardinal. Dont know if anyone still makes that profile.
Clark Carbon fiber handguard.
Low profile gas block.
Dednutz rings - there are lighter ones out there.
Leupold VX-2 3-9x33 ultralight scope

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:08:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just mocked up my 12.5" 6.8 SBR that came in at 5.10 pounds without optics and have a 16" 6.8 at 7.40 with a Leupold 3-9x40 VXR and it was not a light weight build.  There are many light weight parts out there and they are pricey. V7 sells a lot of light weight parts which I used on my 12.5" and it could have been about 6 ounces lighter but there were a few specific parts like the JP Silent Capture spring I wanted to use.  It's not hard to build a rifle under 5 pounds now a days!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Any good sources for lightweight 6.5 barrels? My 6.5 is a surplus special and I imagine I could shave quite a bit of weight by using a different handguard. But the Black Hole Weaponry barrel is still a bit chunky.
View Quote

Palmetto State has a chromed lined hammer forged 16" M-4 profile 6.5 Grendel but is not supplied with a bolt.  The 18" Brownell's 6.5 Grendel barrel balances good for me and I'd consider it a medium contour barrel.  A couple of friends bought Brownell's 6.5 Grendel barrels and they like theirs.  JP has some thinner contour barrels in the higher price range.   There are other 6.5 Grendel barrels with multiple contours from Precision Fireams Lilja and Alexander Arms.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Palmetto State has a chromed lined hammer forged 16" M-4 profile 6.5 Grendel but is not supplied with a bolt.  The 18" Brownell's 6.5 Grendel barrel balances good for me and I'd consider it a medium contour barrel.  A couple of friends bought Brownell's 6.5 Grendel barrels and they like theirs.  JP has some thinner contour barrels in the higher price range.   There are other 6.5 Grendel barrels with multiple contours from Precision Fireams Lilja and Alexander Arms.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nobody(including PSA) knows what chamber or what boltface the PSA Grendel barrel is. Pass on it.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Lilja sells a Wasp profile that is about 1.5lbs for an 18" barrel.  I got a fat daddy barrel with no taper on it and my rifle still weighs near 8.5lbs with a scope.  If I went with a lightened bolt carrier and a lighter barrel it'd be even more svelt.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got a 6.5 Grendel build going on right now. All I'm waiting on is the barrel. Check out Precision Firearms. They have a nice selection. I went with an 18" BHW. But for a light weight hunting rifle you should consider the 16". I've seen great accuracy posted up at distances greater than your shooting even with the shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#19]
8lbs 14oz as seen with the bipod.  7lbs 12oz with the Vortex and NF Unimount.  Beyond 1000yd capable.  Will kill medium game all day, and large game in the right hands.

Lilja 18" Wasp profile barrel.  Shoots consistently well.  Best 3rd groups are in the .6" range.  best 5rd groups in the .9" range, and I shot a lot of 8-10rd groups at 200yds this weekend that were 2-2.9", with two different loads in the same group mixed together.   I shot a lot of 123gr SST, then shot 120gr Lapua Scenar-L.  No cleaning in between, just blasting, and rapid fire.  I want to know what my practical accuracy is, not a best-case group from a bench after settling the gun and getting used to it.  I shot it bench supported/rear bag, then bipod supported/rear bag, and still shot basically MOA to under 1.5 MOA 8-10rd groups at 200yds, which is excellent for a hunting stick, or even practical target semi auto system.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#20]
For what your needs are a 6.5G will treat you well.
Check out AR Performance barrels and bolts.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:37:58 AM EDT
[#21]
AR Performance uses some oddball chamber, and recent customers have had Hornady factory ammo not able to even go into battery.  The SAAMI minimum chamber and maximum cartridge has been out for years now.

You run the risk of having your personal information published online as "punishment" if you ask for CS if he's in a bad mood.

I've spent well over $1000 with AR Performance on 5.56 barrels and work on barrels for SPR's, only to be rewarded with out-of-the-blue threats, my good name being dragged through the mud on his website and every forum he's not banned from, and claims that I'm a pathological liar, don't know the people I do (price of tea in China), claims attributed to me that aren't even recognizable, insane behavior like that.

Considering that I have spent a total of $18 with Alexander Arms on a 9/16x24 A2 flash hider, and literally over a thousand dollars with ARP, Harrison still claims I'm doing everything I can to eliminate AA's competition.  The behavior from a business standpoint is off the charts mentally ill.

People need to re-evaluate recommending that shop given his history here, after being banned twice in a week or so for posting customer info as a form of retribution.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
AR Performance uses some oddball chamber, and recent customers have had Hornady factory ammo not able to even go into battery.  The SAAMI minimum chamber and maximum cartridge has been out for years now.

You run the risk of having your personal information published online as "punishment" if you ask for CS if he's in a bad mood.

I've spent well over $1000 with AR Performance on 5.56 barrels and work on barrels for SPR's, only to be rewarded with out-of-the-blue threats, my good name being dragged through the mud on his website and every forum he's not banned from, and claims that I'm a pathological liar, don't know the people I do (price of tea in China), claims attributed to me that aren't even recognizable, insane behavior like that.

Considering that I have spent a total of $18 with Alexander Arms on a 9/16x24 A2 flash hider, and literally over a thousand dollars with ARP, Harrison still claims I'm doing everything I can to eliminate AA's competition.  The behavior from a business standpoint is off the charts mentally ill.

People need to re-evaluate recommending that shop given his history here, after being banned twice in a week or so for posting customer info as a form of retribution.
View Quote

Like you bashing me personally when we don't agree?
Hopefully the OP forms his own opinions of products and vendors.
Being in retail I know you cant keep 100% of people happy.
But usually the 1% you cant keep happy are just unhappy people anyhow.

Who ever he chooses to purchase from I am sure he will enjoy his new weapon.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#23]
The problem is you can't really fix headspace on a chamber that has been melonited, because it will eat the reamer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Since both sides are chiming in, would anybody trust a polymer lower for a 6.5G or 6.8 lightweight build? I have seen horror stories/pictures in the past of lowers breaking, but I have also heard that the polymer technology has come a long way since then. I don't mind carrying around a 7-8.5lbs rifle, but if we are going to do a lightweight build, shouldn't a poly receiver be a consideration? Just curious what everybody's opinion is.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The problem is you can't really fix headspace on a chamber that has been melonited, because it will eat the reamer.
View Quote

Look LR, I just was trying to make peace by congratulating the OP on choosing an AR over his bolt gun.
His choice was/is a Grendel so I was positive on his choice an helping reaffirm it.
I was on AR Performance site recently looking at .22x42 barrels and saw he had 6.5G barrels in stock (they are all on the same page).
Thats all, nothing more, then you get all personal, yet again.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Since both sides are chiming in, would anybody trust a polymer lower for a 6.5G or 6.8 lightweight build? I have seen horror stories/pictures in the past of lowers breaking, but I have also heard that the polymer technology has come a long way since then. I don't mind carrying around a 7-8.5lbs rifle, but if we are going to do a lightweight build, shouldn't a poly receiver be a consideration? Just curious what everybody's opinion is.
View Quote

I have helped friends build a few.
They are still working fine, but they still scare me.
For a range gun sure, for a SD or hunting go with a Anderson you can get for 50 bucks and be safer.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

At the prices forged lowers are going for, I don't see what anyone would bother.  When you break the trigger on a 6.5 Grendel, you know you're not shooting .223 anymore.  You can shoot it all day long, but there is a bit more recoil.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

At the prices forged lowers are going for, I don't see what anyone would bother.  When you break the trigger on a 6.5 Grendel, you know you're not shooting .223 anymore.  You can shoot it all day long, but there is a bit more recoil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy crap, we agree buddy! :)

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ah so they are the ones making 6.5 barrels with oddball chambers! I have a friend who had an upper with that problem and he swore up and down that AA was the culprit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Ah so they are the ones making 6.5 barrels with oddball chambers! I have a friend who had an upper with that problem and he swore up and down that AA was the culprit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would anyone think AA was the culprit when Bill Alexander was the one who defined the SAAMI specs for the cartridge?

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

For a range gun sure, for a SD or hunting go with a Anderson you can get for 50 bucks and be safer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, the OP did say it was going to be a lightweight hunting rifle. I am not sure if he was going to take it out just for that, use it for self defense, or what. If he uses it like the average hunter, it will be out of the closet for maybe four days tops per year. A poly could help shave a pound or two off, depending on how he sets it up. The thought of a higher than 5.56 recoil did cross my mind, but there are people swearing by their poly lowers. Just wanted to see if I should trust one or not. I didn't think so either.

Btw...with the AR being as modular as it is, you can always pop the two pins and slap it on a different lower if TSHTF or whatever...
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Why would anyone think AA was the culprit when Bill Alexander was the one who defined the SAAMI specs for the cartridge?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy I am talking about is one of the most intelligent people I have ever met. But he gets obsessed with certain things, frighteningly so. I think he believes that AA is the only outfit that makes 6.5 Grendel uppers. I saw the upper he had problems with. I did not see anything that suggested that it was an AA product.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#33]
The AA barrels have "6.5 Grendel" on them, and the uppers have "ALEX-A 6.5 GREN".  The Satern barrels say, "6.5 Grendel 1-8.75" ".

A bad barrel or product is going to slip out of everyone's hands now and then when you start producing things.  It's how it's handled that makes a business's name.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone can stamp whatever they want on barrels.  I have a .264LBC chamber but it is an oopsie from lilja and it in fact says 6.5grendel.   Whoa, whaaa!  Or do it?  I dont care enough to check.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:14:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Poly lowers?  As mentioned, with the low price of metal lowers why would anyone bother? Personally I have no use for them, I'm sure they work well enough for low power calibers but who wants to always be wondering if it's going to be the day it breaks? Not me.

There are a few excellent places to get 6.5 Grendel equipment and Alexander Arms is at the top of my short list.  Not only do they offer extremely high quality stuff but the customer service is excellent.  There simply is nothing better than asking a question about the Grendel and getting your answer from the creator of the caliber.  He's also a really nice guy, I have much respect for the man and his creations, be they rifles, cartridges or even companies.  I gotta admit I love his accent too lol.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top