Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2015 2:29:14 AM EDT
How does it compare Hornady brass that's priced similarly?

I don't have my grendel together yet.
Need a few more parts yet.
Just gathering info.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know WHY it has a large primer, but it's not a problem and shouldn't keep you from buying it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I think since the 6.5 Grendel is a relative of the 7.62 X 39 case PPU used large rifle primers which are common on 7.62 X 39 cases.  I have fire formed 7.62 X 39 cases after resizing in 6.5 Grendel dies.  The 7.62 X 39 brass fire formed to 6.5 Grendel has a couple of grains less powder capacity so you have to load accordingly.  The 7.62 X 39 brass I FF had a couple primer pockets loosen after a couple reloads but these were given to me so I'll just use them as long as I can.

I used some 7.62 X 39 FF cases until I aquired more 6.5 Grendel cases.  I used the FF X39 cases for plinking or where I thought I might loose cases.  I have loaded the PPU brass cases.  The cases I got from the 123 grain soft points only lasted a couple of reloads before the primer pockets would not hold primers.  The more recent brass from the 120 grain MPT seem to be better quality brass.  I have loaded the latter batch a couple of times with no issues.  I don't hot load my reloads so your luck may very.  I know Graf's & Son sell new PPU 6.5 Grendel brass.

I have had very good luck with Hornady brass plus I have some AA brass which is Lapua which Has held up to several reloads.

The two most common issues in reloading the 6.5 Grendel is making sure the shoulder gets set back during resizing.  It is critical to set your dies correctly and it has been reported there are variations in shell holders which can very a few thousandths.  If you use Hornady 6.5 Grendel dies I'd recommend a Hornady shell holder.  A couple of reloaders needed to shave a few thousandths off their shell holder to get enough shoulder set back.

The other issue occurs with trying to seat bullets to long.  The short blunt 95 grain V-Max needs to be set deeper as do the blunt 120 grain A-Max.  The 123 grain A-Max has a more pointed nose and was designed for use with the 6.5 Grendel.  If you seat the bullets to long or don't get the shoulder set back you will have rounds get stuck in the chamber,.  As long as you full length resize most users encounter few problems with the 6.5 Grendel which is an inheriantly accurate round.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think since the 6.5 Grendel is a relative of the 7.62 X 39 case PPU used large rifle primers which are common on 7.62 X 39 cases.  I have fire formed 7.62 X 39 cases after resizing in 6.5 Grendel dies.  The 7.62 X 39 brass fire formed to 6.5 Grendel has a couple of grains less powder capacity so you have to load accordingly.  The 7.62 X 39 brass I FF had a couple primer pockets loosen after a couple reloads but these were given to me so I'll just use them as long as I can.

I used some 7.62 X 39 FF cases until I aquired more 6.5 Grendel cases.  I used the FF X39 cases for plinking or where I thought I might loose cases.  I have loaded the PPU brass cases.  The cases I got from the 123 grain soft points only lasted a couple of reloads before the primer pockets would not hold primers.  The more recent brass from the 120 grain MPT seem to be better quality brass.  I have loaded the latter batch a couple of times with no issues.  I don't hot load my reloads so your luck may very.  I know Graf's & Son sell new PPU 6.5 Grendel brass.

I have had very good luck with Hornady brass plus I have some AA brass which is Lapua which Has held up to several reloads.

The two most common issues in reloading the 6.5 Grendel is making sure the shoulder gets set back during resizing.  It is critical to set your dies correctly and it has been reported there are variations in shell holders which can very a few thousandths.  If you use Hornady 6.5 Grendel dies I'd recommend a Hornady shell holder.  A couple of reloaders needed to shave a few thousandths off their shell holder to get enough shoulder set back.

The other issue occurs with trying to seat bullets to long.  The short blunt 95 grain V-Max needs to be set deeper as do the blunt 120 grain A-Max.  The 123 grain A-Max has a more pointed nose and was designed for use with the 6.5 Grendel.  If you seat the bullets to long or don't get the shoulder set back you will have rounds get stuck in the chamber,.  As long as you full length resize most users encounter few problems with the 6.5 Grendel which is an inheriantly accurate round.

View Quote

Great post.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I can also confirm that there is a significant difference in the newer Prvi Partizan 6.5 Grendel brass.  From the side, it looks like annealed Lapua brass, and appears to be much stronger than the original 123gr Soft Point load brass.

I've been shooting a bunch of it, factory Precision Firearms 120gr Scenar-L load that he made for demos where he wouldn't be as concerned about brass pick-up as with the Lapua.  It can be ordered in bulk as well.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top