BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Just did a PSA pa-10 18" ss kit. assembled with absolutely no problems. Everything was included and fit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Er.....umm.....
This is the M5 thread.
You're looking for that ghetto PA10 thread.
Let's PA-Tay !

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
The rest of the parts showed up for me to complete the build. I think I have a problem. The AIM BCG locks up so tight that I have to hold the charging handle latch and slam the rifle in to the ground to get the bolt open. Any remedies for this, other than buying a new bolt?

Edit to add - It only seems to do this when the upper is attached to the lower. If I take it apart the bolt does not stick at all, unless I'm just not able to push it in as far as the buffer assembly does.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd check your headspace before you beat up your rifle any more lol
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am doing the Mega .308 barrel. With the arfcom discount its $250ish
View Quote

More info on this please.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am doing the Mega .308 barrel. With the arfcom discount its $250ish

Discount thread in the aimsurplus industry forum. Lots of stuff in there for cheap with code.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:03:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The rest of the parts showed up for me to complete the build. I think I have a problem. The AIM BCG locks up so tight that I have to hold the charging handle latch and slam the rifle in to the ground to get the bolt open. Any remedies for this, other than buying a new bolt?

Edit to add - It only seems to do this when the upper is attached to the lower. If I take it apart the bolt does not stick at all, unless I'm just not able to push it in as far as the buffer assembly does.
View Quote

Figured it out. The charging handle was hitting the top of the lower receiver where the buffer tube screws in. Had nothing to do with the bolt. A little bit of file work and all is well. Range report will come on Friday!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Figured it out. The charging handle was hitting the top of the lower receiver where the buffer tube screws in. Had nothing to do with the bolt. A little bit of file work and all is well. Range report will come on Friday!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what AIM BCG did you use?  i was eyeballing their black nitride bolt.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the one I got. It looks pretty good. We'll see how the gun does tomorrow.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's the one I got. It looks pretty good. We'll see how the gun does tomorrow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i'll check back for the report.....have fun you bastard, i'll be at work.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Well...thanks to this thread I'm picking up a receiver set from Schuyler. I was going to pick up a complete rifle (DPMS GII), but building is always more fun. Thanks a lot guys...
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#12]
33plus1, glad to hear it! I hope you have as much fun as I am having, keep us updated!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#13]
No range time for me today. The wife decided we need to go to IKEA. I won't be able to make it to the range until Thursday now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No range time for me today. The wife decided we need to go to IKEA. I won't be able to make it to the range until Thursday now.
View Quote

IKEA, that's too bad.
At least you'll be able to shoot up some cheap Scandi furniture in a few years !

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

33plus1, glad to hear it! I hope you have as much fun as I am having, keep us updated!
View Quote

Will do! $215 seems like a steal for a .308 receiver set of this quality. Can't wait to get this build started!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is where I'm at with my M5 build.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#17]
How are you liking the Luth-AR MBA? I'm eyeing that stock for the build to keep the weight down.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How are you liking the Luth-AR MBA? I'm eyeing that stock for the build to keep the weight down.
View Quote

I don't know a lot about building, different stocks. But it seems nice. I would say its exactly what I want, from an inexperienced point of view.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I want to add I have Rainiers arms 18" match barrel and Odin adjustable gas block coming in the mail.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Does anyone have experience with the Fulton Armory match barrel and BCG?  Those are the ones I'm looking at for my M5 build.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
... I was going to pick up a complete rifle (DPMS GII), but building is always more fun. Thanks a lot guys...
View Quote

I am guessing about as fun as natural child birth with no meds...

MY LESSON LEARNED: I put on a POF buffer tube, about the same length as the VLTOR A5 and put in the LR308 buffer & spring and the bolt carrier rear shoulders 'BIT' into the POF tube!  Luckily it was just from cycling & not firing!   Always match the spring & buffer to the correct tube!!!!

I assembled my Aero a few months back, and haven't had time to break it in.

I went with the Aero M5 complete upper & lower from Schuyler Arms.

AIM NiB BCG
BCM Gunfighter CH
Giesselle DMR trigger
Extended & bigger mag release
Magpul MIAD grip
PRS stock (Used from the EE)
CMMG 15" Mk3 Keymod handguard
Syrac adjustable gas block

I currently have two barrels I am trying to decide which is better for me for deer & Elk hunting:
20" Hunter Barrel from DPMS (rifle length gas)
18" ultra match SS barrel from Rainier (mid length gas)

This is it with the 20" hunter barrel:

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Does anyone have experience with the Fulton Armory match barrel and BCG?  Those are the ones I'm looking at for my M5 build.
View Quote

I am curious too. I was originally looking at JP and Lilja barrels but they are significantly more expensive. Wondering if I can get close to the same accuracy with the Fulton. You may also look into Criterion's website. They make the 18.5" FA match barrel. I talked to them and they are releasing some new .308 barrels.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:32:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I am curious too. I was originally looking at JP and Lilja barrels but they are significantly more expensive. Wondering if I can get close to the same accuracy with the Fulton. You may also look into Criterion's website. They make the 18.5" FA match barrel. I talked to them and they are releasing some new .308 barrels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i started to look at the fulton armory barrels but the gas block is .936".  i wanted an adjustable gas block because i plan on running a supressor and everyone says 308s are overgassed to begin with.  they were pretty damn expensive, so i decided against it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#24]
i got my buffer tube the other day.  from what i've read, the AR15 tubes work on the DPMS 308s as well?  i put the spring and buffer in and it's pretty damn tight.  i dont know what's going to happen when i put in the BCG, still waiting to get it.  

the guy at the LGS was telling me that a buffer spring is a buffer spring, they arent carbine, mid length, or rifle specific.  now, i've built 3 AR15's and i'm pretty sure they always came with a carbine spring or a pistol spring.  i assume that a rifle length spring would need to be longer than a carbine spring and the same would go for a 308.  anyone shed some light?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:03:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
i got my buffer tube the other day.  from what i've read, the AR15 tubes work on the DPMS 308s as well?  i put the spring and buffer in and it's pretty damn tight.  i dont know what's going to happen when i put in the BCG, still waiting to get it.  

the guy at the LGS was telling me that a buffer spring is a buffer spring, they arent carbine, mid length, or rifle specific.  now, i've built 3 AR15's and i'm pretty sure they always came with a carbine spring or a pistol spring.  i assume that a rifle length spring would need to be longer than a carbine spring and the same would go for a 308.  anyone shed some light?
View Quote

I would not use that LGS for advice.

There is the CARBINE buttstock system and the RIFLE buttstock system.
No parts interchange.
Some use the AR15 A2 (rifle) tube w/308 spring/buffer on the large frame.

See here...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/413443_.html
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Except for the Vltor A5 & the POF buffer tubes. There is a real difference there !  These are also known as mid length buffer tubes as they aren't carbine nor rifle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#27]
just ordered my m5 upper and lower and I haven't really looked into rail selections yet but does anyone know if a company sales either a 15 inch quad rail or keymod for it ?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
just ordered my m5 upper and lower and I haven't really looked into rail selections yet but does anyone know if a company sales either a 15 inch quad rail or keymod for it ?
View Quote

Midwest Industries makes a 15" keymod. It's what I used on my build
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

same here, it is fucking AWESOME.  so lightweight.  my 308 AR with an 18" barrel is more balanced than either of my 16" AR15's or my 10.5" pistol.  there are also built in  QD attachments.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm trying to decide hand guards now. Got Rainiers 18" match barrel, and Odin adjustable gas block today. Looking at the fortis switch and SLR hand guards so far. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No parts interchange.

See here...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No parts interchange.

See here...

that's what i thought.  i had never heard it before.  i just just kind of said ok and went on browsing.  it's a decent LGS, a lot of younger guys work there and it's more of a modern gun store.  not a bunch of good old boys.  it's also 10 mins from the house.  i think i'm going to use an A2 style, i like the look.  then down the road get a PRS if i want.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

that's what i thought.  i had never heard it before.  i just just kind of said ok and went on browsing.  it's a decent LGS, a lot of younger guys work there and it's more of a modern gun store.  not a bunch of good old boys.  it's also 10 mins from the house.  i think i'm going to use an A2 style, i like the look.  then down the road get a PRS if i want.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No parts interchange.

See here...

The answer you got was right, sort of.  Maybe not the right answer for your set-up.

The ARMALITE AR10 uses the same spring for both the carbine and rifle, they list separate rifle (shorter than AR15 rifle buffer) and carbine buffers (same length as AR15 carbine buffers), separate carbine (longer that AR15) and rifle extensions (same as AR15) but they only list one spring for both.

DPMS pattern springs come in carbine and rifle lengths with matching buffers to work in AR15 length receiver extensions, both rifle and carbine...
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The answer you got was right, sort of.  Maybe not the right answer for your set-up.

The ARMALITE AR10 uses the same spring for both the carbine and rifle, they list separate rifle (shorter than AR15 rifle buffer) and carbine buffers (same length as AR15 carbine buffers), separate carbine (longer that AR15) and rifle extensions (same as AR15) but they only list one spring for both.

DPMS pattern springs come in carbine and rifle lengths with matching buffers to work in AR15 length receiver extensions, both rifle and carbine...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No parts interchange.

See here...

Well that clears things up.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I have my complete M5 lower.  Now I'm looking for an upper.  Does anyone have any experience with the AP complete upper that has the 16" barrel?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No parts interchange.

See here...

yeah, just looking around on primary arms.  i found that the dpms rifle buffer spring is 12.75" and the carbine spring is 11.5".  I got the rifle length spring.  good news is primary arms has the carbine spring for $6.  gonna order it tomorrow.  if anyone needs a rifle length spring let me know.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Tagged... About to start a build too based on AP parts. Sounds like you figured out everything I needed to know!

Will have to read this tonight! Sure I'll have questions! :)

I wanna do a 16 inch hog and zombie rifle.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#37]
I recently completed my Aero M5 build, I initially had purchased a DPMS LPK from my LGS but after finding the takedown and pivot pins didn't fit.
I managed to find the AERO LPK in stock and ordered it. The fcg in this kit is terrible, possibly the worst AR platform I have ever shot, So I ordered the giesselle g2s.
The biggest issue I encountered on the whole build was the BCM Gunfighter charging handle hitting the lower receiver upon assembly. I was pretty bummed to be grinding on my sixty dollar CH, but that's the way things go sometimes I guess.
Most recently I got the new Strike industries Ultimate Dust Cover and installed it, it was super easy to install but a pita to latch and it fit like poo so I had to cut/sand away material to make it fit.
Parts list and pics in 2nd post

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Aero precision Stripped upper- $99.99
Aero precision Stripped Lower- $139.99
FFL transfer- $20
DPMS 16" barrel $218.36
Aero precision NIB BCG $225.25
AERO Precision LPK $85.59
BCM Gunfighter mod 3 charging handle $61.47( ground to fit)
LBE forward assist assy $18.01
DPMS carbine buffer assy $73.93
BCM Gunfighter low profile gas block $52.99
AR-Stoner 5 rd magazine $24.47(garbage)
Magpul MOE SL stock $63.55
UTG 13" ultra slim rail $150(not too shabby)
DPMS carbine length gas tube $20
Gieselle G2S trigger $129.99
Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5x14 40 rifle scope $265
Nikon p-223 mounts $49.99
Black widow sling mount end plate $21.20
AP MFG muzzle brake $34.95(EBay special)
Strike industries UDC $14.99(had to modify to fit)
Magpul 10 rnd pmag x2 $40.26

Total-$1810.40

charging handle issue.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#39]
the utg rails are pretty damn nice for the cost.  i have one on a 16" ar15.  i was going to use one on my 308 but i wanted one that was longer than 13" since i was going with an 18" barrel
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#40]
i got the seekins precision mag release button yesterday.  it sort of solves the mag release issue and sticks out a little farther, but it's hard to tell.  i certainly looks better than the one that comes with an LPK
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
i got the seekins precision mag release button yesterday.  it sort of solves the mag release issue and sticks out a little farther, but it's hard to tell.  i certainly looks better than the one that comes with an LPK
View Quote

I'm going to use the B.A.D. mag button....still a BandAid fix, though.
Since the distance from port to starboard is greater on these M5's compared to AR15, Aero needs to step up and have a batch of properly lengthened mag catches run.
And stop shipping these ill-fitting mag catch/button assemblies. They half-ass work while looking like ass.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I have my complete M5 lower.  Now I'm looking for an upper.  Does anyone have any experience with the AP complete upper that has the 16" barrel?
View Quote

I bought one from them for Black Friday - love it. I was dead set against a 16" bbl until I started using this one.

One thing to be careful of - the port door spring stub sticks up into the ejection opening 1/8" and will rip your hand if you swipe it (as in cleaning or clearing). I bent mine over like a hook with needle nose.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Here is the answer for the short screw on the mag release.

Extended Mag release button

Works great.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#44]
This is the one I quoted above...

Still a BandAid fix though.
To match the width of their receiver, Aero needs to have some correct-length mag catches run.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/3T6oHMtjfFs/0.jpg

To match the width of their receiver, Aero needs to have some correct-length mag catches run.
View Quote

I'm tagging this for my future build.

Off topic, is your name Scott?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, not Scott.
Stole the pic from Google Images.

As an aside, I paid the high tariff and have an Armalite AR10A mag catch and bolt catch en route.
FIP, the AR10A is their new, Pmag-compatible rifle.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Nope, not Scott.

As an aside, I paid the high tariff and have an Armalite AR10A mag catch and bolt catch en route.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, not Scott.

Okay, with your name being Direct Drive and being in OR I was wondering if you were affiliated with them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#48]
I probably will get the Armalite 10-A Mag catch (just for the added length ), but do you have to have the Armalite 10-A Bolt stop catch, too? Doesn't  the Aero LPK have the correct bolt stop catch that works with Pmags?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I probably will get the Armalite 10-A Mag catch (just for the added length ), but do you have to have the Armalite 10-A Bolt stop catch, too? Doesn't  the Aero LPK have the correct bolt stop catch that works with Pmags?
View Quote

bolt catch shouldn't matter.  I have a CMMG bolt catch that works fine with my pmags (from what I can tell without the bolt yet).
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

bolt catch shouldn't matter.  I have a CMMG bolt catch that works fine with my pmags (from what I can tell without the bolt yet).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, from looking at a lot of photos online, it appears the Aero LPK already has the Armalite 10A or similar shaped bolt stop catch.
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top