Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2015 3:16:49 PM EDT
I finished my new 6.5 Grendel and finally got it out to the range last week. This puppy is a tack driver. First time out. Barrel isn't even broken in, shooting factory Hornady SST ammo and it's shooting 1/2" moa. Can't wait to get this thing down to Texas hog hunting.Thanks Dez Arms for the great barrel.
" />" />
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn nice group! Was this at 100yds? Can you tell me some more about the rifle? I am looking at a Grendel as my next build. I am interested in more info on the barrel too. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Fabulous!

Great to see another Grendel
being fielded!

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice, congrats.

Picked up another Grendel upper myself this week.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#4]
JD, Yep that was at 100 yards. Thanks for the other kind words. This has undoubtedly become my favorite round. I was doing part of the break in and only had 6 rounds down the tube at 50 yards cleaning after each shot. So I thought I'd just peck at the 100 yard target with 3 shots.
I used a Dez Arms 18" match Barrel, YHM upper receiver, Midwest Industries Gen2 Handguard, Spikes LPK with a Rock River NM 2 Stage varmint trigger, WMD carrier, and a MGI enhanced 7.62 X 39 bolt. Just some of the important parts I pretty much always use on my builds. If I don't use YHM for my uppers I will use Vltor MRUs as a first choice but I didn't have one of those laying around. Most of this was put together with spare parts I had around. What spured me to put it together was an Email from Dez Arms saying they had this barrel on sale. I just couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Have they informed you as to whether they will a barrel and matching bolt?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Misc,
   They don't have that option yet. They said they would ship it with a 7.62 X 39 bolt when I asked but it wasn't spacific to this barrel. I already had 2 MGI enhansed bolts so I didn't need to spend the extra $$. Personally I feel the barrel-bolt combo I'm using is working just fine so far. This was the first time using a Lancer Systems muzzle break and I really like it so far. I did just order a SLR adjustable gas block thought as my cases were being dented midway down the side of the case from the deflector. A quick adjustment of this should not be an issue once I receive it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:19:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice, congrats! That is a very good looking rifle.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice! My next build will be a 6.5, I'm spent right now after ordering a Glock 35 MOS rig for competition. Hopefully by fathers day I can get the wife to let me buy the parts for a present to myself, LOL.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#9]
That is a fine-looking carbine right there. Nice that they use 1/7.5" twist.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I really couldn't ask for any better performance. Dez has alwaly provided me with quality barrels. Just wish they would expand to more stainless barrels. I have even built a few in 7.62X39s. A couple with YHM barrels and a couple with Dez barrels. Have had ZERO issues with the Dez barrels and both YHMs had feed issues.
" />
" />
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Is that an aluminum gas block on the 7.62x39?

If so, replace it with a steel version.  They erode quickly, and gas leakage will start spilling out all over, followed by short-stroking.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#12]
No it's a steel block. I didn't like the gauling possabilities of the aluminum blocks and steel screws so I never used them. I like to be able to pull the block every so often to give the tube a good cleaning. I actually ordered a SLR Rifleworks adjustable railed block for the 6.5 as my cases were getting dented a bit from the deflector. I should have that in a day or so and swap it out. If it does work out I think I'll be using them on all of my builds.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top