Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2015 2:40:25 PM EDT
First off hi everyone, i have been a long time reader and follower of this site. I suppose i'll just jump right in on the issue. I have just finished my .308 build. Entire rifle is is PSA with a PA-10 lower, and 18" SSK complete upper. When i first assembled the rifle i loaded a full mag of .308 in to a Magpul SR/LR Mag and went to shoot.

This is when i encountered my first issue. With a full mag it will only cycle manually, as in shoot, pull charging handle, load round into chamber shoot repeat. It does this until about the last 4 or 5 rounds in the mag then works fine. I have also noticed the bolt catch doesn't engage. Thus far i have roughly 40 rds through it. Any ideas on the solution? I really dont want to send it back to PSA.

Thanks in Advance,

Drew
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#1]
What buffer, spring, and buffer tube are you using? The PA10 reciever extension is proprietary so you can use standard ar15 buffer and spring. If you are using an ar15 extension then you need a Lr308 buffer and spring. And even if all the parts are PA10 parts I think some of them got mixed together incorrectly. If you do have a PA10 extension try taking a buffer an spring out of one of your ar15s if you have one.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick reply. I am using the PSA LBK which came with the stock, buffer tube, buffer and buffer spring. Through some searching around i have found that some LBK's were shipped with shorter buffer, i will have to check to see what mine is when i get home. I assumed this was a buffer/spring issue.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the quick reply. I am using the PSA LBK which came with the stock, buffer tube, buffer and buffer spring. Through some searching around i have found that some LBK's were shipped with shorter buffer, i will have to check to see what mine is when i get home. I assumed this was a buffer/spring issue.
View Quote

Also check the gas tube is the right length. My brother got a standard rifle length ar15 tube which is too short to function reliably.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#4]
So you can't ever get the bolt catch to engage? Even when pulling the Charging handle back on an empty mag or pressing the catch up?  If so then either the buffer or spring are too long or extension is too short. If it does engage manually it sounds like a gas issue. My best guess without seeing it is that the buffer is too long and it's not  lettin the carrier go back far enough causing both your problems. It won't grab the catch and the spring isn't compressing enough to strip a round out of a full magazine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The bolt catch on most is pretty tight. I had to manually work my bolt catch back and forth for a good 5 minutes for it to loosen up. How long ago did you buy the LBK? The ones with the wrong buffer were early last fall. I got everything for mine in November and haven't had any issues. Like someone else said. Make sure your buffer isn't too long.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, so when I arrived home from work I took down the buffer and buffer spring out and inspected it. The buffer is black and stamped "H" for heavy I assume. it is the correct length and not the short one. I took my S&W M&P apart and compared. Naturally the spring is longer than the AR-15 one. Isnt it odd that it cycles fine with only 4 or 5 bullets in the mag, but with a full mag its no Bueno? What type of gas issue would I be dealing with. This is my first .308 build, I've attempted to research as much as possible on these but it seems that some of the PSA builds are a hit or miss from what I've gathered on here. Is the gas system not blowing the bolt back hard enough to engage the next round from the all upward force from the multiple rounds in a full mag? Although new the .308 scene I have been doing regular home smithing for awhile now! Mostly refinishing older shotguns and rifles along with polishing internals and what not. Im sure with some direction I can figure this out on my own. Any and all help is appreciated. Also, I came across a thread on here saying the buffer spring included with the LBK is to soft and that a Springco Green spring is perhaps a solution?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Buffer spring that came with my PA-10 buffer tube, buffer, and MOE stock kit was weak and looked more like a carbibe length spring.

Get a Sprinco green rifle spring or a wolffe XP rifle spring.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, so I've been looking at my rifle. I have noticed that the bolt is not going back far enough to engage the bolt catch and is more than likely my problem. Also I have attached some pictures to aid in the explanation. Buffer Spring as measured is 11.25" and the buffer is 3.25".

This picture illustrates as far back as the bolt will go with buffer and buffer spring installed. This is with the charging handle pulled back as far as possible.

This picture illustrates the bolt actually going behind the bolt catch as it should be. This is without the Buffer/Buffer spring installed ( I was curious).

Photo of buffer tube. Buffer tube is not banged up or scared in anyway, indicating the bolt is not hitting it.

Here is a photo showing the spring and buffer. Buffer is Marked "H" and is 3.25" long. Spring is 11.25" long.

I attempted swapping out the Spring from my S&W M&P 15 which is 10.25 inches long and nothing changed. I do believe this rules out the gas problem as it is clearly something interfering with the bolt going back as far as it should. What now guys?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Edited:
Your buffer is too long or your extension is too short. Is the extension longer than one on your mp15?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:15:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The reason it happens with a full mag is because there is more force on the rounds pushing against the feed lips when the mag is full (think how it's hard to load the last round in the mag then the first). This force slows down the carrier when moving back, and then again stripping a round out of the mag. I don't think it's a weak spring because it goes into battery when you pull the charging handle back. I'm still curious about the bolt catch. Is the carrier not going far enough back? Can it catch if cycled manually with an empty mag? Or is the catch just stiff in the reciever as someone else mentioned?  Because if it isn't goin far enough when manually cycled then something is too long. If you can then it sounds like your short stroking and a heavier spring would probably make it worse. Usually that's caused by weak ammo or gas problem. If the bolt catch is just stiff it might be a weak spring, as well as fitting the catch.
View Quote

Check out my pictures I just posted. The BCG will not go back far enough to engage the bolt catch. When I removed the buffer, and buffer spring the BCG went behind the Bolt catch easily. Not sure if it matters or not but it appears that my PA10 Buffer tube is the same as my AR-15 S&W. Shouldn't it be longer? If it is the same wouldn't that perhaps stop the bolt from going all the way back as the .308 BCG is longer than the 5.56 BCG? Perhaps they sent me the wrong Buffer Tube? Seems like that would cause this issue.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I edited my post, did see yours till after I posted mine. 3.25" is standard ar15 buffer length. Look at the tube. Take the stock off of it and your mp15 and see if it's longer. I don't know if they all do but the pa10 tubes I hae seen are marked PA10.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Ah-Hah! Perhaps anyways. Seems like im not the only one who has run into perhaps this "buffer tube issue". PSA states that the buffer tube is longer than a AR-15. I feel like this is my issue. Thoughts based on this thread. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_301/254438_PA10_buffer_length_problem.html&page=1
Thoughts gentlemen?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:28:24 PM EDT
[#13]
That's the opposite problem. Tube was too long the the BCG was going too far back. Compare the tube to your mp15. The PA10 should be about 3/4 longer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I edited my post, did see yours till after I posted mine. 3.25" is standard ar15 buffer length. Look at the tube. Take the stock off of it and your mp15 and see if it's longer. I don't know if they all do but the pa10 tubes I hae seen are marked PA10.
View Quote

I do truly believe this is my issue. No where is the buffer tube marked PA-10. They have sent me a standard length buffer tube. What can I expect from PSA? Free tube? exchange for my old one? Buy one outright?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:30:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's the opposite problem. Tube was too long the the BCG was going too far back. Compare the tube to your mp15. The PA10 should be about 3/4 longer.
View Quote

Yes, but that's what got me looking at my tube it is the same as one on my m&p.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#16]
They should exchange should exchange it no problem but they are notoriously slow.

Edit: ar15 carbine tube is 6.75" from back of reciever, so the PA10 should be 7.5"
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:35:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Excellent news! You know surprisingly I ordered my complete upper on a Thursday and received it the next Tuesday. Also ordered some ammo from them and had within a week. Just for curiosity sakes will any other buffer tube work? Thanks for all the help guys and narrowing down my problem. Been a huge help. I will be contacting PSA tomorrow.

-Drew
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:40:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I was actually surprised by their shipping recently a well. I ordered from them and brownells a day apart and received the stuff from PSA within a week and 2 weeks from brownells.

I don't think any other tube will work with ar15 buffers. You could stick with that tube and get dpms lr308 buffer and spring
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:16:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Excellent news! You know surprisingly I ordered my complete upper on a Thursday and received it the next Tuesday. Also ordered some ammo from them and had within a week. Just for curiosity sakes will any other buffer tube work? Thanks for all the help guys and narrowing down my problem. Been a huge help. I will be contacting PSA tomorrow.

-Drew
View Quote

If you still have your order # , IM them on the industry section for the fastest response. I did this a month or so about a problem I had. They emailed me a return label to UPS within an hour.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:32:58 AM EDT
[#20]
You need either a 2 3/4" buffer, or a 7 3/4" buffer tube. They shipped several of the original lbks with a 7" buffer tube and 3 1/4" buffer when it requires a 7 3/4" buffer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Also check the gas tube is the right length. My brother got a standard rifle length ar15 tube which is too short to function reliably.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSA has some odd gas sytem length ?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It uses the same tube as the armalite ar10s. The ar15 uses a different tube according to what I've read. The one my brother got was too short, it didn't come far enough back to make the action run right. An armalite tube fixed the cycling issues he was having. I'll see if he will email me some pics when he gets in later this week.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It uses the same tube as the armalite ar10s. The ar15 uses a different tube according to what I've read. The one my brother got was too short, it didn't come far enough back to make the action run right. An armalite tube fixed the cycling issues he was having. I'll see if he will email me some pics when he gets in later this week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought Armalite was slightly shorter than AR15 rifle length ???   learn something new.

I have a Fulton Armory barrel, it uses standard AR15 gas system lengths.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not sure his barrel came from PSA, I know he was having difficulty with an order from them. But this archive article might be interesting. www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=614102

Quoted:

I thought Armalite was slightly shorter than AR15 rifle length ???   learn something new.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I do truly believe this is my issue. No where is the buffer tube marked PA-10. They have sent me a standard length buffer tube. What can I expect from PSA? Free tube? exchange for my old one? Buy one outright?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a standard length tube, but I went the DPMS route with the buffer and spring rather than the Armalite route. Armalite uses a standard AR buffer and longer tube, DPMS uses a standard tube and special buffer. People get that mixed up sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#27]
**UPDATE** Contacted psa they sent me a new buffer tube which fixed all issues. Big shout out to PSA for being on the ball with customer service and addressing my issues in a timely manner. Got to take it out...to my front yard (Hence the name MountainMan, I live on a mountain no neighbors...) and do some shooting! Had an old Kodiak Motor that was no use to me and I couldn't resist. Thought you all may be interested in seeing the .308 in action!
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgIPtHFf5tQ[/youtube]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Glad to we you got it running and to see that PSA is picking up the ball they dropped over the PA10.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top