Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2015 7:06:42 PM EDT
I'm doing some research about my next upper I'll be purchasing
Narrowed it down to a complete rock river mid length 6.8 16" it has 1:10 twist m4 ramps spc2 camber, worried about the 1:10 twist for shots at 250yards

Or the stag 5h. 1:11 twist m4 ramps spc2 chamber 16" barrel. But I've read about the carbine gas system over gassing but a adj gasblock would take care of it.

What are you options in those 2. I have a strict budget I need to follow and those fall into it nicely.
How are the stag 5h's? All I read is from 2010-2012 on 68forums. Do they still over gas and eject at 1oclock?
How is the rra at 250 yards accuracy wise? Their website says 1.5MOA at 100 yards, kind of a turn off so far as well as its heavy profile barrel.
this will be my deer/dog/shtf/plinking gun.

I want a 16" barrel. No more.

Sorry to seem blunt or straight forward, just how i talk.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to look at ARPerformance. By far the best 6.8 you can buy and very reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you put together an upper?  If so, go ARP and get the best specs currently available for a barrel; grab a Superbolt while you're at it.

PSA upper is a good deal for a shooter or self defense weapon as it's got a FN barrel, but isn't ideal for hunting from an accuracy standpoint compared to others. You'd also want to replace that FSB to get it out of the way of your glass.  If you're able to build then get a quality hunting barrel and go from there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Psa doesn't ship to ct. Not even uppers. I'd have to ship it to family in nv.  Price has me worried about quality...  

Yes I can build uppers. I'd like to buy one done though. Will look into psa further. But again, seems to cheap. And stag is reputable imo

Edit:  didn't see the big red letters about no bcg. So rhat changes everything...
How are psa products?  Barrel made by FN. Mil spec upper. So it's probably gtg. Any personal expierence with their products?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want great accuracy out to 300 yards then perhaps consider an 18" ARP.   Should be some in stock soon.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#7]
ive got a rra midlength 16 inch chrome lined from pete at legal transfers.. had it for about 5 years and it really shoots good..  I would buy the same again if looking to purchase one... btw the 110 prohunters work great for deer .
Good luck
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need to look at ARPerformance. By far the best 6.8 you can buy and very reasonably priced.
View Quote

What he said!!!  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#9]
My PSA CHF shoots with almost any rifle I own
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm liking the specs on the psa to be honest. I don't need any match chambers etc.  I want it to be accurate enough to hit vitals of a dog out to 250 yards.  I don't comp target shoot. If it shoots within 2or so inches at that range I'm happy

Didn't know fn made psa barrels. Looks like a good setup for a guy like me doing what I need it to do.  

Thanks fellas,
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#11]
First; The 1:10 vs 1:11 is debated topic. Some say, no difference. Some say, the 1:10 stabilizes 130-150gr bullets a little better. But, does not stabilize the 80-90grains bullets as well as the 1:11. Also, it is said the 1:10 is slightly better in SBRs.

Anyhow, with the A front sight 1,5 MOA is about right. FF hand guard will probably get you MOA or smaller. I'd go with Stsg over RRA.
ARP is a top shelf, so is Bison, BHW & WC. But, self build can break as budget. I know about that first hand.

A 16" 6.8 SPC II can kill a deer over 300+y (with the right load). So, 250y is very achievable.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:55:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I plan on a free float rail and 1-6x24   The psa looks to be well speced for my needs. Without the hassle of the stag being over gassed, and the rra 1:10. I know it's debatble on opinions but I'd rather stay with what's "supposed" to be used.  what bcg should I look at it for it? Being that I bought my first house, gotta have a list going and to save some cash.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:27:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Psa doesn't ship to ct. Not even uppers. I'd have to ship it to family in nv.  Price has me worried about quality...  

Yes I can build uppers. I'd like to buy one done though. Will look into psa further. But again, seems to cheap. And stag is reputable imo

Edit:  didn't see the big red letters about no bcg. So rhat changes everything...
How are psa products?  Barrel made by FN. Mil spec upper. So it's probably gtg. Any personal expierence with their products?
View Quote

I have a complete PSA 14.7 upper with the pinned/welded F/H and the FN hammer forged barrel . Easily a 1 moa rifle with fed fusions and me doing my part. I would bet on it being sub moa with handloads or better ammo.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa/6-8-spcii/psa-14-7-chf-6-8-mid-lightweight-premium-upper-with-bcg-charging-handle.html

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#14]
In have both a RRA and a PSA so I can comment on both.    

The RRA is a 3/4 moa rifle, but note it is a HBAR  and it is

Heavy and very very accurate. 1/10 twist

My PSA is a 1 moa rifle and  govt profile and 1/11 twist.

Please also note that the RRA is not chrome lined and the PSA is.   So its a matter of what you are looking for.  Either rifle will kill a deer at 300 yards no problem.

For hogs I use the Barnes bullets with the top performer being the 95 grain TTSX.  goes 2800 fps from my 16 gun. 1650 ftlbs energy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I appreciate  all the input guys!

And the rra has a 50$ option for chrome lined now. My father has the rra hbar mid length. He hasn't shot it yet, (reason I asked about it) and it is a heavy gun. Especially with his eotech and g33..

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I have an upper with the 18" PSA SS barrel.

If I had it to do over again I would have gone with an ARP.

Have you looked into the Wolverine? If you are limiting hunting of Yotes to about 250yds the WLV would do the trick & you would be able to use all 556 stuff. Just a barrel swap on an existing upper...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Working on a 6.8 build myself. PSA had FN CHF barrels for 150.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I own the 14.7" pinned and welded upper and it is my primary hunting weapon. It loves the Hornady 120SST.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#19]
My PSA stacks federal fusions like clover leaves
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine too.  PSA CHF 18" stainless
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:50:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Built one up using a Daniel Defense 16" chrome lined. It's  a very accurate  barrel. Very pleased with it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought the RRA 16 mid length upper a few years ago before the round became as popular as it is now.  It has quality parts, been reliable, accurate.
I have not had any problems shooting the SSA 110 gr accubonds and their older sierra prohunters commercial loads.
the farthest animal I have shot was a coyote at 210 yds.  One shot and it dropped.  Most of the shots I take are under 150 yds.  
It has shot a red stag, numerous hogs from 55 to 515 lbs, and deer.  I have since added the YHM two piece pic. rail grips.  A nice thing to add as
your budget allows. I put a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 as my optic.  

Yo will not be upset with the RRA.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:26:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I think I'm going to do the psa when once my gun fund rebuilds.

Throwing on a 2.5x10x42 or whatever the vortex viper is

Was going to do a 1-6x24. But FOV is nice. And I don't want the stupid recticle the new strike eagle has.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#24]
You really need to look at ARP Performance for a 6.8 barrel.  You will not be disappointed with the accuracy of their barrels, I have 3 in 6.8.  There are also some site sponsors on the 6.8 forum that will build you an upper using the components you want.  Brett at Iron Works Tactical is a great  vendor to deal with and very knowledgable.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Also take a look at bison armory. They also are highly accurate barrels. They are well spoken for by 6.8 guys. I've built 4 guns with them and they have all been crazy accurate. I have lived mine and they are not bad priced at all.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sweet.  i got that barrel back in december and i'm still collecting the parts for my upper.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:41:45 AM EDT
[#27]
If it is 6.8 spc11and very good spec, ARP. is the way to go. Great value for a good barrel . 16" Socom middy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#28]
OP, the differences in quality between the assortment of 68 manufacturers isn't what's being compared here. I've owned 6.8's from several companies; first from RRA, Spikes, Stag, DD, Noveske, Bison and ARP. Quality was great on all of them, however there were a few specific individuals who put in the time to figure out exacting specs to suck out the round's full potential, providing lower chamber pressures allowing for hot loads, tighter accuracy, improved rifling for better stability of the lighter 85-95 gr solids that ultimately give you more speed, distance and better killing capability.  The differences aren't enormously great, but they're there, and don't cost more to obtain considering the price of their barrels.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
OP, the differences in quality between the assortment of 68 manufacturers isn't what's being compared here. I've owned 6.8's from several companies; first from RRA, Spikes, Stag, DD, Noveske, Bison and ARP. Quality was great on all of them, however there were a few specific individuals who put in the time to figure out exacting specs to suck out the round's full potential, providing lower chamber pressures allowing for hot loads, tighter accuracy, improved rifling for better stability of the lighter 85-95 gr solids that ultimately give you more speed, distance and better killing capability.  The differences aren't enormously great, but they're there, and don't cost more to obtain considering the price of their barrels.

View Quote

ARP or Bison are the way to go imho.
The ARP is approx 25fps faster and just as accurate while also having longer barrel life.

I own both.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The ARP is approx 25fps faster and just as accurate while also having longer barrel life.

I own both.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own both.

BHW (3-POLY), DD/Ambush, & LWRC. are all top quality too.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top