Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/12/2015 12:55:13 AM EDT
We had some 1:7 twist barrels done and are about to start testing them with 150 grain and 180 grain bullets.  Please see pic.  

The idea is that if we get standard-load supersonics in the 80-110 bullet weight range and subsonics in the 180-200 grain bullet weight range running from the same 1:7 twist barrels without needing different port sizes... well, you know, it gets pretty cool.  We will have formal results posted in the next week or so but I would like to hear what you all think about this.  I have a few convo's going with some various bullet manufacturers to offer plated cast bullets and jacketed bullets in the 180-220 grain range, as well as some "Lehigh Defense" type bullets for the fragmentation/expansion.

From left to right in the photo is a 90 grain TNT loaded, a 150 grain Hot-Cor, and then a 180 grain Woodleigh:

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:13:49 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a handsome little cartridge right there.  Have you made any dies for pouring your own cast lead pills?

I just realized you were using a 39mm case length.  That opens up a lot of possibilities....

It's been fun to watch this cartridge progress along the way, to include factory ammo.

Do you have any detailed cartridge drawings?  I would like to see how many calibers the neck is in length.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:22:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a handsome little cartridge right there.  Have you made any dies for pouring your own cast lead pills?

I just realized you were using a 39mm case length.  That opens up a lot of possibilities....

It's been fun to watch this cartridge progress along the way, to include factory ammo.

Do you have any detailed cartridge drawings?  I would like to see how many calibers the neck is in length.
View Quote

Neck is .240 min and then more depending on how close to the wall you like to trim.  Trim length is 1.535 published.  Wall is at 1.545.

And thanks...  we're having fun.  Considering one might/could/should be able to run 90 grain bullets at 2700fps as well as 180-200 grain bullets at 1050fps from the same tube, it opens up its niche.

The 39mm case length is so that there will be no binding, even in P-Mags with their pointy front-rib, as the ogive rides on that rib.

I have not cast "boolits" before... so I am letting the more experienced folks have at it.  We should have some nice updates in about a week or two on the function of the barrels and platform, as well as whom will be offering what bullets for subs.  Good thing is, the 180-200 grain concept has already been tested in the 6.8SPC (Bison BSP Platform), so we know the twist rate is right.  It's just a matter of dialing in the right powders for the port size that will run with both supers and subs.  And then there we go...

...and LRRPF52... if you would like to try a rig out, just let me know...
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:24:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Options are always good, IMO.

Having felt this cat in both forms, supers & subs, by far my fave was with the subs.

It was an absolute delight in a pistol build. I had the practical experience of trying the 220AMAX's in 300 Whisper & then went to this with the 150's. Not quite apples to apples but it was a riot none the less.

150's are easy to find. 180's up, not so much. If low velocity expending 220's were readily available then this becomes a very versatile cat.

150's ran through my P-mags like a dream.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Neck is .240 min and then more depending on how close to the wall you like to trim.  Trim length is 1.535 published.  Wall is at 1.545.

And thanks...  we're having fun.  Considering one might/could/should be able to run 90 grain bullets at 2700fps as well as 180-200 grain bullets at 1050fps from the same tube, it opens up its niche.

The 39mm case length is so that there will be no binding, even in P-Mags with their pointy front-rib, as the ogive rides on that rib.

I have not cast "boolits" before... so I am letting the more experienced folks have at it.  We should have some nice updates in about a week or two on the function of the barrels and platform, as well as whom will be offering what bullets for subs.  Good thing is, the 180-200 grain concept has already been tested in the 6.8SPC (Bison BSP Platform), so we know the twist rate is right.  It's just a matter of dialing in the right powders for the port size that will run with both supers and subs.  And then there we go...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Id love to cast up some boolits as I can always use more moulds.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's talk... the more options the better and I would always rather give a fellow member an opportunity to make a few bucks as well.

I'm sourcing 180, 200 and potentially 220 grain bullets if the 200's work out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Let's talk... the more options the better and I would always rather give a fellow member an opportunity to make a few bucks as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the best way to get in contact with you?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#7]
So case capacity is not much different than a .223 Rem?

I'll contact you privately about some ideas.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

mark (at) maddogweapons.com

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let us know the public outcome.  I am excited that this thread has your attention.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

We hold ~27 grains H2O in the WLV case vs. ~28.5 in 5.56.  Below is a comparison form left to right of .223, 277 Wolverine, 300BLK, 6.8SPC.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top