Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2015 11:21:01 PM EDT
Been thinking of getting a DPMS Recon.  

Not sure if I should go with the Recon or GII Recon. Original Recon, I figure, would have a better availability of parts, if needed.  Plus it’s been out for sometime so it’s time tested.  I would go with the GII because of all the new improvements.

Anyone have both and a preference for one or the other?    

Thanks for you help.

Happy Shooting.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
G2 seems to share a lot of parts with ar15 now and them standard dpms 308 stuff. I imagine a lot of other 308 ars are going to move in this direction..so my pick is g2
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:37:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I just brought home a GII today! They really did a good job cutting weight on this model. The only thing is that with all the new improvements comes a new price tag! I paid $1390 compared to $1102 I would have paid for the original Recon model.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:08:16 AM EDT
[#3]
G2 for sure, significantly improved over the original.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
G2 seems to share a lot of parts with ar15 now and them standard dpms 308 stuff. I imagine a lot of other 308 ars are going to move in this direction..so my pick is g2
View Quote

I wouldn't say "a lot," just more...someone feel free to correct me but I believe it's just the ability to run ar-15 rail height hand guard....assuming you have the barrel nut for it.

If you want to "play around with parts", then the Recon is they way to go.  Otherwise, the GII offers some weight savings(it should be noted that the Ruger SR762 weighs about .1lb more; something to consider if you're looking at value).
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:33:34 AM EDT
[#5]
G1 is a dead dinosaur.  Well if you are gonna get dpms eithe way, you would be crazy to choose the boat anchor G1 when you could get the sleek G2 which also has other design improvements.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
G1 is a dead dinosaur.  Well if you are gonna get dpms eithe way, you would be crazy to choose the boat anchor G1 when you could get the sleek G2 which also has other design improvements.
View Quote

And parts are coming.  How soon are you planning on replacing everything?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I am in the dilemma of buying a Recon, Recon 2, or Sig716.

I was considering a Recon over Sig due to price, but now that they have raised price so much I can buy a Sig 716 for only a couple hundred more.

Guess I'm leaning Sig 716
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Recon's heavy, the Sig even heavier.  Weight savings alone would push me towards the GII Recon.  

I'd just wait awhile to buy it, see if it turns out to run solid (consistently, over time) and if parts become available as promised.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#9]
G2 with one of the lightweight handguards added.  MI or Sampson.

Another thing I saw at SHOT was a Viking Tactics handguard for the G2, and I think even a Viking Tactics G2 rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top