Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2015 7:47:14 PM EDT
Ready for the range...  Might get out this Sunday.

Parts List

(1) PSA PA-10 stripped lower
(1) PSA PA-10 Stripped upper
(1) PSA PA10 308 Phosphate BCG
(1) PSA PA10 .308 MOE Stock Kit (Buffer tube, buffer spring, H buffer, castle nut, end plate)
(1) PSA PA10 Ejection Port Cover Assembly
(1) PSA PA10 Forward Assist Assembly
(1) PSA PA10 Upgrade Kit (pivot pin, takedown pin, bolt catch, mag catch)
(1) Hogue Pistol Grip
(1) JP Enhanced .308 Bolt Assembly w/nickel boron finish
(1) JP Muzzle Brake JPTRE-324
(1) Geiselle SSA Trigger modified by Geissele for PSA PA-10
(1) Geiselle Super Gas Block Nitride .750 pinned
(1) WMD Mid Length Nitromet Gas tube; black
(1) Rainier Arms 16" Black Stainless Select .308 Barrel guaranteed sub MOA @ 100 yards
(1) Tactical Springs Chrome Silicon rifle Buffer Spring (GREEN)
(1) Midwest Industries 12” DPMS .308 M-Lok One Piece Free Float Handguard .150 tang #MI-308SS12-DLM
(1) Magpul CTR Stock
(1) Magpul MBUS front and rear sight set
(2) Magpul 20 round LR/SR Magazines
(1) BCM Gunfighter Mod 5 Charging Handle
(1) Limbsaver Magpul recoil pad
(1) Larue LT104 30mm Scope Mount
(1) Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44mm MRAD Scope

Total cost without scope and mount: 1917.34
Total cost with scope and scope mount: 2686.34

Weight without scope and mount and an empty mag: 8.5 lbs
Weight with scope and mount and empty mag: little over 10 lbs

Note on the Hogue grip: The PSA PA10 takedown pin spring and detent, unlike an AR15 where the spring is held in place by the receiver end plate, is held in place by the pistol grip, just like the pistol grip holds the safety selector spring.  The problem is the hole for the takedown spring and pin is drilled very close to the edge of the receiver.  So close that sits on the soft part of the rubber over-mold on the Hogue grip and pushes/dents the rubber down, which looks bad because you can then see the dimpled rubber and spring pushing the rubber down on the edge of the grip.  I also found that a standard AR15 takedown pin detent spring is a little too long and needs to be cut to fit the PA-10.  Here's a simple mod to fix this http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/668811_Simple_mod_for_PSA_PA_10___threading_takedown_pin_detent_hole_for_a_4_40_set_screw.html

I'm happy with Rainier barrel.  Target was taped to a wire frame sign and wind was rocking it in and out which was stringing my groups up and down.  Tried shooting during lulls in wind on 2nd group.  

Groups below were shot with Federal Gold Medal Sierra Matchking .308 168gr.  

Put about 80 rounds through her with no failure to feed or failures to eject.  Brass was landing at about 2:00.  Most of the brass looked like it was
hitting the deflector.  Suspect it's a little over gassed.   Might can take care of it with a little heavier buffer spring and / or buffer.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea, will be time to build one of them in the near future....

....then buy ammo....

...and dies....

...and trimming stuff....

....and boolits....

....and mags....

Looks sweet tho.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good. Hopefully using the Rainier barrel will circumvent a lot of the problems.

How does it do with a dummy cartridge in terms of falling free from the chamber?  Will it chamber without jamming the lands, and will it go fully into battery?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks good. Hopefully using the Rainier barrel will circumvent a lot of the problems.

How does it do with a dummy cartridge in terms of falling free from the chamber?  Will it chamber without jamming the lands, and will it go fully into battery?
View Quote

Have not tried it.  I did check the headspace and it's good.  Not really worried about Rainier barrel.  If by some chance it's got a problem I can call and they will actually answer the phone and emails and they don't take weeks to ship either.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#4]
That sure looks sweet! Let us know how it shoots.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#5]
looks   great.  i   just  purchased the  full  kit  from  psa  and a  stripped lower.   read a  bunch of  horror stories     after.. keeping  my  fingers  crossed  but   good  to know... some of  the  probs  can  be  avoided  by just  building  from a stripped  upper.   cool  style on the  rifle...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Just ordered an H3 buffer (Currently using PSA H buffer). Will see if the H3 buffer slows it down a little and gets it ejecting at 3:00 to 4:30 instead of at 2:00
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#7]
What stock did you use? I see it's the Magpul CTR stock. Is it mil-spec or commercial? Does PSA carry the H3 buffer?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 12:22:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks nice... I want one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What stock did you use? I see it's the Magpul CTR stock. Is it mil-spec or commercial? Does PSA carry the H3 buffer?
View Quote

Pic shows a magpul CTR milspec.  PSA PA-10 tube is milspec.  Picked the H3 buffer up off ebay.  Buffer Spring included in PSA buffer tube is very weak.
Get a rifle length spring from Springco (green spring) or a wolffe XP rifle spring).

If you use a weak buffer spring it won't slam the bolt down hard enough to strip a round off the top of the mag and lock the bolt.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:34:24 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

This thread is what pushed me over the edge to get a .308 AR...

Bravo, sir.  I love the look of that gun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks alot dude!  I was just about to start a post to ask folks to talk me out of the PSA 10 upper/lower.   It just seemed like such a good price...too good to be true.

But after seeing the results...at the very least I think I'm going to get the upper/lower and let them sit and get parts as funds allow.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#12]
 I might have to get me one of those barrels.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#13]
i got the psa upper/lower as well and have a bushmaster ar10 barrel. Still need the rest though lol. Looking for a free float that wont break the break any recommendations?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's a more recent photo of my PA-10 and Aero M5.   Changed it a little from the first pics in this thread.  Switched out JP muzzle brake for a Lantac Dragon to save an oz.

Switched Magpul CTR out for Magpul ACS-L.   Magpul ACS-L is a little heaver but cheek weld is better.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#15]
sweet  rifles...  any preference  on  which one  you  prefer over the  other?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:40:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
sweet  rifles...  any preference  on  which one  you  prefer over the  other?
View Quote

Honestly, I like the old school look of the PSA PA-10 reciever better than the more modern look of the Aero M5 and I'm from Columbia and want to support my hometown PSA but...

If I was recommending which way to go to someone, I would have to recommend the Aero M5

PSA customer service is a nightmare and their shipping times are a joke.  The PSA PA-10 also has some design problems like not being able to take a Gieselle trigger without having to mod the trigger, pistol grips with beaver tails don't fit right, and the takedown pin spring hole should be threaded for a set screw like the Aero M5.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Really digging the MI rail.

Hopefully I can get my bonus check soon and get some parts for my Aero build.

It'll be set up similar to yours just a few differences.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Really digging the MI rail.

Hopefully I can get my bonus check soon and get some parts for my Aero build.

It'll be set up similar to yours just a few differences.
View Quote

Few things about the Aero.

Go with the Aero BCG.  I ordered the Aero BG and put a JP enhanced .308 bolt in it but I'm sure the Aero bolt would be gtg.

The setup that seems to work best is a standard M4 carbine buffer tube, a DPMS .308 carbine buffer.  This is a special buffer that is shorter than a standard M4 carbine buffer. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-buffers/carbine-buffer-sku231000278-42989-90967.aspx

And finally a springco ORANGE spring.  This is a really heavy spring that will really slam the bcg down and ensure it strips a round off the mag and chambers it correctly.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top