Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2015 6:22:34 PM EDT
My barrel came back from ADCO so I'm finally finished.  Here's my DPMS GII "Light Recon", which will be used as a short to intermediate range (<250 yards) hunting rifle:

I made the following changes to the rifle as it came from DPMS:
- I had ADCO reprofile the barrel under the handguards from 1" to .750 to reduce weight.
- Replaced the factory rail with a 12" MI SSK rail.
- Added NSR rail covers
- Replaced the 51T mount with a Trifecta mount.  Also had ADCO verify thread concentricity while they had the barrel... didn't want to take any chances with my Saker.
- Added an SLR adjustable gas block.
- Replaced the commercial MOE stock with a milspec STR and corresponding buffer tube. This added about 4 oz to the rear of the gun.
- Replaced the MOE pistol grip with a MIAD.
- Added a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x20mm scope in an Aero Precision ultralight mount

The factory 2 stage trigger feels way better than any of my other milspec triggers, so there was no need to change that.

The finished rifle feels better (narrower foregrip + no quad-rail), has a better cheek weld, and weighs about the same with an optic as it previously did without one (2 oz less actually).  Plus, all the weight that came off was from the front so the rifle balances better too.

Original weight with factory installed Magpul sights:  8 lbs, 10 oz
Weight when completed with Magpul sights for comparison's sake:  7 lbs, 11oz
Unloaded weight with scope & mount (no suppressor): 8 lbs, 8 oz.

The keymods on the rail don't mean much to me on this rifle - the rail was gotten for it's lighter weight and smaller diameter.  I added the NSR rail covers because metal rails are *COLD* in the early morning and that sandpaper-y grip is fantastic.

I debated leaving the Magpul sights off altogether but decided to keep them on and sight them in.  If I have a problem with my scope I can remove it at camp, use "irons" and not have to worry about making any sighting-in shots onsite.  Besides, the weight they add is minimal.

And for those that noticed, yes there is no front cap on my scope.  The barrel came back before the front cap got here from MidwayUSA.  :)

Anyways, I was pretty proud of the rifle and wanted to show it off.  I'll admit I have no shame.  

-bob
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the post. Looks good! Many GII Recon owners are probably considering similar, I know I am.

If you don't mind, was the ADCO price for the barrel work "standard"? Did your barrel end up looking like Astross89's here, or did you choose to have anything additional done to it? http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=643233

Barrel nut come with the handguard or did you have to buy the DPMS one?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#3]
That is a nice outcome right there.  I would consider a .680"-.700" barrel profile, with flutes on the fore-end, but you still reduced weight overall.

Nice choice of components and overall finish of the system.

Looking forward to range report.  What ammunition are you looking at?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#4]
double tap.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the post. Looks good! Many GII Recon owners are probably considering similar, I know I am.

If you don't mind, was the ADCO price for the barrel work "standard"? Did your barrel end up looking like Astross89's here, or did you choose to have anything additional done to it? http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=643233

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, it was the $80 standard re-contour under the handguards service.  I used Astross89's barrel profile as a template for my own in fact.  I sent them a pic of Astross's barrel and asked them to "make it like that".  Based on his pics, I had guessed that it was re-contoured to .750, and said as much on my order.

The MI handguard comes with a new barrel nut specific to that handguard as well as a wrench end to install it (still need a torque wrench).

Quoted:
That is a nice outcome right there.  I would consider a .680"-.700" barrel profile, with flutes on the fore-end, but you still reduced weight overall.

Nice choice of components and overall finish of the system.

Looking forward to range report.  What ammunition are you looking at?

I was concerned about going too thin because of my suppressor; I didn't know what it would do to the POI shift.

As far as ammo goes, I've got some of the cheap ZQI I can use for blasting, but the bulk of what this rifle will shoot in the short term will probably be 150gn Hornady soft points over TAC, since those are the components I've got on hand.  I've never loaded .308 so I'll have to work up an appropriate load.

-bob
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice.  Weighs about the same as my AP4 does with an optic, since my Weaver 1-5 and AD Recon are probably heavier than what you are using.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Really nice rifle. Looks great after the mods. Do you know what the weight of the stock handguard was?  I just got my recon this past week and am considering changing if (handguard),  especially if it'll loose a little weight. Not that I'm unhappy with the stock weight.  Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do you know what the weight of the stock handguard was?  I just got my recon this past week and am considering changing if (handguard),  especially if it'll loose a little weight.
View Quote

Yup.  The stock handguard, jam nut, and barrel nut together weigh 17.5oz.  I didn't weight the new handguard before I put it on but the packaging says it weighs 9oz with barrel nut (for the 12" keymod rail).

-bob
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Great looking rifle, did you keep the barrel at 16 inches? I think I'm going to build on very similar To yours but pin it at 14.5 inches.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#10]
It's still a 16" barrel.  I didn't want to reduce it any since it's primary use will be as a hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the answer on the weight difference. That's quite a difference. I'll be ordering me one then.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:22:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Excellent end result.  Your specs really do look like it would balance much better.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Hi there

I own a GII recon aswell. Do you know the exact model number/name of that handguard? Did it fit on without issues?
Regards
Thomas
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hi there

I own a GII recon aswell. Do you know the exact model number/name of that handguard? Did it fit on without issues?
Regards
Thomas
View Quote

The rail is a 12" Midwest Industries G2 keymod handguard (Model MI-308G2SSK-12) and is designed specifically for the DPMS GII rifles - Link
I also installed three (3) sets of Noveske NSR rail covers - there aren't enough included in one pack to do a rail.  I learned that when I did my 300 BLK upper a while back.  Link

To get the rail covers on, I had somebody hold the upper muzzle down on my workbench while i used a mallet and nylon punch to knock the covers into place.

Hope that helps,

-bob
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Cool build.  I like the idea of just turning down the recon barrel.  I have an AP4 I like so far, but I think I might prefer a SS barrel with a marginally thicker profile and a midlength gas system.  The AP4 is so light once you strip it down, I feel like I could have afforded a little extra weight on the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:50:41 PM EDT
[#16]
What kind of groups does it give with the turned bbl?

Do you know how it shot before, (what difference did the lighter bbl make, if any?)?

Very impressive build!
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:01:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Do you know how it shot before, (what difference did the lighter bbl make, if any?)?

Very impressive build!
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Very nice.  Ive been looking for a G2 Recon as well.  Just have not been able to pull the trigger on it yet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Very nice.  Ive been looking for a G2 Recon as well.  Just have not been able to pull the trigger on it yet.
View Quote

Ditto. They have one on sale locally for $1,200 I think. Problem is I'd want it to look like the OPs which means an instant price jump. Then there's the whole ammo thing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Perfect!!! Thank you very much for a very helpful reply.
Kind Regards
Thomas
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ditto. They have one on sale locally for $1,200 I think. Problem is I'd want it to look like the OPs which means an instant price jump. Then there's the whole ammo thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I could find one local for $1200 Id buy it.  Problem around here, nobody has one.  The one local gun shop that does deal with DPMS only has Gen 1 AR308's  

Ammo is a non factor for me.  I keep plenty of H335, and 308 bullets on hand for loading 300 BO
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Very impressive build!
View Quote

Thanks!

I shot it once at an indoor (*shiver*) range to function check it prior to sending it off for barrel re-contouring, since the "rebuild" was planned before ever purchasing the gun.  Since it was indoors, it was short range at only 25 yards.  I was standing and firing offhand so the groups weren't anything to write home about - 1" I think?  I'd have to look at the target again.  I really did it as a baseline to see if they'd open up once i got it back.  I've still not been able to get to a range to see how it does since it was recontoured.  Since it's a while before deer season (though I'm always looking for an opportunity to shoot hogs), I've not been in a super big hurry yet.

-bob
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok, that's an awesome rifle.  Since you changed out the rail and stock is there any reason why you went with a recon over an AP4?  I'm seriously looking at these rifles but would want a chrome  lined barrel with a mid length gas system.  Since that isn't offered I'm kinda stuck.  I've read that a carbine gas system on a 308 is way over gassed.  If an adjustable gas block fixes that problem I'd probably get the AP4.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks!

I shot it once at an indoor (*shiver*) range to function check it prior to sending it off for barrel re-contouring, since the "rebuild" was planned before ever purchasing the gun.  Since it was indoors, it was short range at only 25 yards.  I was standing and firing offhand so the groups weren't anything to write home about - 1" I think?  I'd have to look at the target again.  I really did it as a baseline to see if they'd open up once i got it back.  I've still not been able to get to a range to see how it does since it was recontoured.  Since it's a while before deer season (though I'm always looking for an opportunity to shoot hogs), I've not been in a super big hurry yet.

-bob
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very impressive build!

Thanks!

-bob

Dang it, man, we want groups and we want them now!

I have a couple of ideas reguarding the GII, one is yours exactly, the other is a LOT more expensive and requires a different bbl.  I just may put up a WTT ad and see if I can swap or sell something to get a GII.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ok, that's an awesome rifle.  Since you changed out the rail and stock is there any reason why you went with a recon over an AP4?  I'm seriously looking at these rifles but would want a chrome  lined barrel with a mid length gas system.  Since that isn't offered I'm kinda stuck.  I've read that a carbine gas system on a 308 is way over gassed.  If an adjustable gas block fixes that problem I'd probably get the AP4.
View Quote

It was entirely because of the gas system.  I didn't want a carbine length system on a 308, and I didn't want the 20" fixed stock G2 Hunter.  Had the G2 Light Hunter been available I would have bought that instead.  Unfortunately it's still not for sale, though it really doesn't matter anymore since I bought the Recon.  It cost me more, but I built exactly what I wanted.

-bob
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Your rifle would be EXACTLY what I would want except a chrome  lined barrel over the stainless.  Not a deal breaker though.  A 308 AR was on the back burner for me until I saw this thread.  Thanks...
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Groups yet?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top