Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2015 7:27:33 PM EDT
I just picked up my M5 receiver set from my LGS. Got a good deal on it from Schuyler Arms.

I want to build it with a 16" barrel and so that it shoots smooth and reliable.

Here's what I am looking to use:

UPPER:
16" Rainier Select barrel
12" MI SS M-Loc handguard
Lo Pro gas block
AIM 308 BCG
Mega Arms new charging handle
SilencerCo Trifecta flash hider

LOWER:
Damage Industries Nickle Teflon detents and springs
AP TD and P pins
BAD ASS short throw selector
Geissele SSA trigger
AP carbine buffer tube kit
Magpul ACS-L
Dpms bolt catch or Seekins Enhanced
Magpul grip

I am planning one day to get a suppressor for it and my other 30 cal rifles. So critique this build.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good except the omission of the adjustable gas block. BTE blocks are cheap or go all in for the SLR or Syrac blocks. Especially if you plan to use a suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking about using an adjustable gas block. Figure it can assist in helping the gun shoot smooth ass well as helping with suppressor. I also will probably get a Slash buffer but will wait and see how it shoots.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#3]
No reason to use a heavy buffer with an adjustable gas block. Spend the money on a JP SCS instead.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No reason to use a heavy buffer with an adjustable gas block. Spend the money on a JP SCS instead.
View Quote

Agree. The one I used with a JP scs and adjustable gas block was incredibly smooth suppressed. It also had the JP enhanced bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I used a Kies adjustable gas block on my 16" tactical ambush barrel and am well pleased. I highly recommend an adjustable gas block. On my rifle, I only turned the setting open about 1/4 of what it could be and it runs great and ejects right at 4-5 o'clock. I can't imagine having it fully gassed and I don't have to worry as much about buffer and spring sensitivity.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was thinking about using an adjustable gas block. Figure it can assist in helping the gun shoot smooth ass well as helping with suppressor. I also will probably get a Slash buffer but will wait and see how it shoots.
View Quote

Go for the Radical Firearms .308 buffer.. Much cheaper. $100 for a buffer is just insane.

http://www.radicalfirearms.com/product-p/rf308carb.htm

I just got mine in. The inside is filled with aluminum, rather than small weights or powder.

I plan on drilling it out to save weight. I can probably get it to a 1oz buffer. I am using an adjustable gas block so am able to do this.

On the AR-15 side, I run a AA 7.5oz low mass carrier and a Spikes ST-T2 buffer with the powder taken out. It comes out to 1oz.

Once you dial down the gas, weighted buffers are not needed. You save weight, recoil.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys I will do a little more research, but I will probably just get an adjustable gas block to start. Then decide if I like the way it shoots and go from there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I WISH these had been out a year or so ago....I really wish my 308 had an FA.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Definitely go adjustable gas block. If I did that with my 6.8 SPC build to start with I wouldn't have had to try so many different combinations of buffers and springs for my gun that was over gassed.

So, this JP Silent Capture spring mentioned earlier has my attention, but what's the real benefit here. Looks like the bolt operation is smoother and gun quieter for suppressed use. Aim I missing something here?
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm picking up my AP M5 set in FDE tomorrow.  I'm going to put together more of a precision gun though.  I'm trying to decide on which 18" match barrel to go with at the moment, but it will definitely have an adjustable gas block on it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm picking up my AP M5 set in FDE tomorrow.  I'm going to put together more of a precision gun though.  I'm trying to decide on which 18" match barrel to go with at the moment, but it will definitely have an adjustable gas block on it.
View Quote

Yeah this is going to be a hunter. But I want to make it as accurate as I can within my budget. I wont shoot over 500 yards, probably keep it around the 300 mark more often when I just take it out to kill some steel. And when I get a suppressor I don't want it to be a mile long.

I am thinking about getting the receivers and handguard cerakoted in OD.

Does anyone know the price and weight of a AP 12" M-Loc handguard?
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:07:59 AM EDT
[#12]
" />" />
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#13]
The JP SCS changes the recoil impulse, its a bit hard to describe. Its more like shooting a bolt gun than an ar. Also smoother and quieter.

For barrels I would look at Criterion or Rainier off the top of my head. If you want super precision Fulton stocks Krieger m110 barrels or you could have a gunsmith chamber one up for you off a top quality cut-rifled blank. McGowan also offers .308 ar barrels at a decent price.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Well just got order for the Aero takedown and pivot pins and bolt catch.

So far my lower parts have cost me $55. Minus trigger, grip, and safety.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:53:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Im watching this build, as i myself need to finally get a 308 ar going, and for my budget its looking like the Aero set will have to do..

Also i am wanting to do a 16" build, so i am in for finished pics and what she weighs in at,
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey does anyone know where I can find a ejection door cover other than Aero or Dpms?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#17]
KAK for the cover.
http://www.kakindustry.com/lr-308-parts
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
KAK for the cover.
http://www.kakindustry.com/lr-308-parts
View Quote

Thanks, but at JSE Surplus I found a ejection door kit and forward assist for $25.

I didn't google hard enough I guess.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:27:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Strike industries has a .308 dust cover that's QD...just snaps in place...only $14.50 at primary arms
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Strike industries has a .308 dust cover that's QD...just snaps in place...only $14.50 at primary arms
View Quote

Is it released yet? I didn't see it on Strikes site and is out of stock at primary.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Is it released yet? I didn't see it on Strikes site and is out of stock at primary.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seen that as well and was wondering the same.

I already got the kits from JSE on order so they should be here soon.

The next item to purchase is the handguard. That way I can send them in to get cerakoted.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top