Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2014 3:00:21 PM EDT
I have an M&P 10.  It leaves hellaciously bad ejector marks on brass.  It does it regardless if I am using my suppressor or not.  I have a Syrac adjustable gas block turned down to the poing where it won't even cycle properly without the suppressor on the setting it's currently on.  I get the same marks though if I take the suppressor off and then adjust the block till it reliably cycles.

Anyways my only option is to use basically the minimum load data for any particular load.  It can shoot pretty hot loads and have no signs of excessive pressure in the primer or case except for the ejector marks getting more and more pronounced the hotter the load is.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Round the edge of the ejector. Sometimes they are just too sharp. It won't hurt ejection in the least.

Greg
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagged. My DPMS has dual ejectors and leaves damage.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#3]
When I first got into AR's I remember reading something to the effect that they "crap where they eat", in reference to what they do to brass.
I have found this to be true.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Round the edge of the ejector. Sometimes they are just too sharp. It won't hurt ejection in the least.

Greg
View Quote

This +1
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:40:45 AM EDT
[#5]
There is some detail work that can be done to mitigate the effects of brass shear from flow into the ejector channel.  Flow itself is a function of pressure and time, as well as brass alloy metallurgy.  Harder brass doesn't flow like some of the softer, cheaper brass.

A buddy of mine did some pretty interesting testing with .308 Win. Lapua and .308 Palma (Lapua as well) brass to see if his suspicions were right.  With the Palma brass, his hot loads exhibited none of the signs, because the added mass of brass at the base heat sinks better than LRP brass.  Palma brass uses SRP's.

What ammo are you shooting through it?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#6]
The ejector is leaving marks on the brass?  You mean the extractor?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The ejector is leaving marks on the brass?  You mean the extractor?
View Quote

I'm quite certain he means the ejector.  Google the term "ejector swipes".

I've already subscribed to this thread before making this post, because I'm suffering from the same problem with a self-built AR 308, also with a Syrac adjustable gas block set on the last notch before being 100% off and still getting occasional heavy swipes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#8]
My OBR does it too.  Always has and I've had it about 4 years.  That is a sign of pressure, but it seems to be very common all across the board in 308 AR's.

308 ARs don't handle loads as hot as bolt guns will, just the nature of the beast  
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I use Lapua brass and Ramshot Tac powder.  It almost brings a tear to my eye with my Lapua brass but I can't get a hold of any other commercial brass.  I broke down and bought 2k pieces for my TRG 22 and M&P 10.  I am not big on military brass as I don't get near the accuracy.

For the M&P I am using 39 gr of Tac with a 175 gr SMK's.  If it leaves marks at that charge weight it is minimal.   It gets worse the hotter you go.  At 42gr it looks horrible.  I may round the ejector like you guys recommend.

With my Sako I'm using 43gr Tac if memory serves me correctly.   The M&p would likely have serious pressure signs with that load.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I finally got around to tinkering with it.  I added an h3 buffer and rounded the ejector edges.

I went all the way up to 43gr Tac with 175 SMK's and the ejector marks are not nearly as bad.  It still leaves marks beyond 41 gr though.  I am going to stick with 41 gr.  That is 2 gr higher than the load I was going with though which is great.

I may try a extra power buffer spring as well.  I'd like to squeeze much velocity as i can out without trashing my brass.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I finally got around to tinkering with it.  I added an h3 buffer and rounded the ejector edges.

I went all the way up to 43gr Tac with 175 SMK's and the ejector marks are not nearly as bad.  It still leaves marks beyond 41 gr though.  I am going to stick with 41 gr.  That is 2 gr higher than the load I was going with though which is great.

I may try a extra power buffer spring as well.  I'd like to squeeze much velocity as i can out without trashing my brass.
View Quote

An Xtra Heavy Slash Buffer and

http://www.davidtubb.com/ar15-tubb-parts/carrierweight-ar15
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:59:54 AM EDT
[#12]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_4/42_Hellbenders_guides_to_Ultimate_AR15_and_or_AR10.html
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:30:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a Slash Extra Heavy buffer and .308 buffer spring.  It has marginally better performance over an H3 buffer but not enough to make me bump my load any more.  Its nice but i wish i hadn't spent the money as it was expensive and didnt give enough performance over the h3 to change my load.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

When I first got into AR's I remember reading something to the effect that they "crap where they eat", in reference to what they do to brass.

I have found this to be true.
View Quote

I think that saying is referring to the way a D.I. AR blows the gas back into the action where fouling occurs. But hey, whatever works.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top