BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 82
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Stopped by a Cabela's tonight and they had FGMM for $23.99 with a mail in rebate for a free "8 gong when you buy two boxes. They also had a couple 100ct bags of Starline brass in stock and matched Brownell's sale price ($46.99 for the large primer).

So, what the heck? I went for it. I guess I'll see how I like the FGMM and just work on the brass when I have free time. Best laid plans...
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just need the Go/No-Go Gauges. Trying to be patient! Ordered them as an in stock item last Monday.......https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/472704/20171027_181432-345978.JPG
View Quote
How did you get the Hiperfire trigger to fit? I have their new Competition version and the hammer is rubbing against the front wall of the M5 lower.

Anyone else have trigger recommendations? I'd love this Hiperfire to fit and work, but would also consider running an ELF drop-in .308 if someone else confirms it'll fit and work.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How did you get the Hiperfire trigger to fit? I have their new Competition version and the hammer is rubbing against the front wall of the M5 lower.

Anyone else have trigger recommendations? I'd love this Hiperfire to fit and work, but would also consider running an ELF drop-in .308 if someone else confirms it'll fit and work.
View Quote
Can you post up a picture of where/how it's rubbing?  This is a new one on me....
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Can you post up a picture of where/how it's rubbing?  This is a new one on me....
View Quote
Turns out I was wrong. There is ample clearance in the fire control pocket in all directions. That said, the grittiness is coming from the spot where the hammer interfaces with the trigger. I own two original style 24C's and this has never been an issue. Makes me wonder if the trigger is out of spec or if the trigger pin holes on the M5 are the culprit. The milspec trigger from the DPMS .308 parts kit works fine but that's not saying much.

Here's a picture of the bottom of the hammer and the wear on the finish from cocking the hammer and releasing it manually (no assist springs installed yet).

Where the allen wrench points is where all the grit and friction is coming from.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Ouch!  That looks ugly.  My first suspicion would be bad trigger if the original DPMS one worked OK.  Measure the location of the pin holes from one lower to the other to this one.  It's a little more work but if you have this same trigger in another rifle pull it out and compare with the calipers.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ouch!  That looks ugly.  My first suspicion would be bad trigger if the original DPMS one worked OK.  Measure the location of the pin holes from one lower to the other to this one.  It's a little more work but if you have this same trigger in another rifle pull it out and compare with the calipers.
View Quote
Sadly it's the worse option. I swapped the Hiperfire 3G from my Mega AR15 lower into the Aero M5 lower and encountered the same issue: The hammer contacts the trigger at all times. Installed the new Competition trigger meant for the Aero M5 into the Mega AR15 lower and it functioned flawlessly.

Looks like I get to call Aero about an out of spec lower. This build has been nothing but headaches, returns, and stupid nonsense like this. Regretting the hell out of this endeavor.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#7]
They'll make it right, except for your headache and time.

Link Posted: 4/5/2018 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's not unreasonable to expect a Hiperfire trigger to fit an M5 lower, right? I've seen a couple others in this thread using them without issues.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 10:22:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Some will spec a trigger specifically for an AR-10/.308 AR because the hammer will/may not reset due to the ever so slightly height of the bolt carrier riding through the upper.  That's all I've ever heard.  99.99993.14159265359% of the other triggers should work.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's not unreasonable to expect a Hiperfire trigger to fit an M5 lower, right? I've seen a couple others in this thread using them without issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not like one of these shit turd Gen II abortions is it?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 11:03:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's not like one of these shit turd Gen II abortions is it?
View Quote
I believe that is what I possess. This is what I purchased. http://www.primaryarms.com/aero-precision-m5-gen-ii-308-stripped-lower-receiver-dpms-cut-apar308003

What did they change on the G2's that made them worse? Apart from QC issues.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#12]
They shortened the lower by half an inch.  Supposedly it kills shit deader now.  Really there was no reason.  Just a gimmick to suck people into their market.  Shorter is better right?

Don't ask my wife....
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 2:30:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just need the Go/No-Go Gauges. Trying to be patient! Ordered them as an in stock item last Monday.......https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/472704/20171027_181432-345978.JPG

No issues whatsoever. I assume mine is a Gen2. Just got it late last year. It is an M5E1 builder set.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm curious, what are the issues with the Gen IIs? All three of the lowers I've bought are gen IIs. Getting ready to put one of them together with an ALG trigger.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm curious, what are the issues with the Gen IIs? All three of the lowers I've bought are gen IIs. Getting ready to put one of them together with an ALG trigger.
View Quote
Mine appears to have FCG pin holes that are out of spec in terms of their spacing. The ALG should work fine as I understand it to be just a milspec trigger coated with a friction reducing material. The milspec trigger from my DPMS .308 parts kit fits fine.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Mine appears to have FCG pin holes that are out of spec in terms of their spacing. The ALG should work fine as I understand it to be just a milspec trigger coated with a friction reducing material. The milspec trigger from my DPMS .308 parts kit fits fine.
View Quote
Yep, that's basically what I've got. But that's still a little disconcerting. I've got a LaRue trigger on order for my 6.5 M5 build. I guess I'll find out sooner or later if it works.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#18]
My first M5E1 build is coming together nicely. Just have to save up a little more to finish it. Still need a 20 moa mount, a dimple jig for the gas block, and a set of go/no-go gauges. And the black lower is just a place holder until my LaRue trigger shows up. Then it'll have a FDE lower to match. This lower is going to be used for either a 308 or a 45 Raptor build (haven't decided yet).

Upper details:
- M5E1 uppper
- Aero Precision 15" Mlok handguard
- Ballistic Advantage 22" 6.5 Creedmoor (.936"), Premium Series barrel
- Aero Precision nitride HP BCG
- Radian ambi charging handle
- A generic thread protector I found on Amazon
- SLR Sentry 9 gas block

Lower details:
- Aero Precision M5 lower,
- Aero Precision parts kit minus trigger
ALG ACT trigger with the light spring (I'm actually kinda impressed with it for what it is, alot nicer than I expected)
- Aero Precision Carbine tube kit
Magpul MOE furniture.

Link Posted: 4/7/2018 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
So milspec works fine but the gee whiz blingy aftermarket stuff doesn't...and it's the lower that's the problem? Put a Larue or Geissel in it and be done. I've got a Larue MBT in mine and it functions perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep, that's basically what I've got. But that's still a little disconcerting. I've got a LaRue trigger on order for my 6.5 M5 build. I guess I'll find out sooner or later if it works.
View Quote
The MBT went into my M5 lower without a problem.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#21]
my Geissele SSA-E triggers fit fine on both of my Aero M5 lowers, function perfectly also.  Aero M5 308 uppers, Aero or Toms Tactical BCGs.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So milspec works fine but the gee whiz blingy aftermarket stuff doesn't...and it's the lower that's the problem? Put a Larue or Geissel in it and be done. I've got a Larue MBT in mine and it functions perfectly.
View Quote
...neat.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The MBT went into my M5 lower without a problem.
View Quote
Good to know, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#24]
VLTOR A5 length RE
Armalite EA1095 spring
AR15 H3
16" BA Hanson Middy
Toolcraft NiB BCG

Link Posted: 4/19/2018 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

VLTOR A5 length RE
Armalite EA1095 spring
AR15 H3
16" BA Hanson Middy
Low pro regular old gas block
Toolcraft NiB BCG
SSA-E

Runs like Forest Gump...

https://vgy.me/MfrMAY.jpg

https://vgy.me/a4GCle.jpg
View Quote
Looks good. What kind of groups are you getting out of your BA Hanson?
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I've only shot it offhand so far and haven't had a chance to bag it yet. I've got a few different types of factory ammo I want to group with it- I should have some time next month- I'll update with a range report when I get the chance.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 12:52:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Big Sale on SLR handguards FYI
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone make a 12" quad rail?

Looks like SLR's quad rail selection has dwindled down from what it used to be.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Anyone make a 12" quad rail?

Looks like SLR's quad rail selection has dwindled down from what it used to be.
View Quote
LaRue Tactical
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
Thanks but I meant for the 308 DPMS high pattern for a M5 build.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 1:42:30 AM EDT
[#31]
AP does but the side and bottom rails don't run the full length of the handguard.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I am putting together a 12.5 inch Aero SBR. I am debating on a ballistic advantage or aero barrel. As far as I am concerned the priced difference is negligible. Does anyone have any experience with either one? Any reason to buy one over another?
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm sure this has been posted in previous pages, but those of you going with a set screw gas block on your build, these SLR dimple jigs are great. I forgot to order one with my Sentry 9. Just got it in the mail today and it worked great. $30.99 plus shipping from SLR. Others carry it too.

So now my 6.5 Creed M5E1 build now has a properly dimpled barrel for my gas block. I'm happy...for now. Still have a few more items to get.

Link Posted: 4/27/2018 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am putting together a 12.5 inch Aero SBR. I am debating on a ballistic advantage or aero barrel. As far as I am concerned the priced difference is negligible. Does anyone have any experience with either one? Any reason to buy one over another?
View Quote
I'm under the impression that BA makes all of Aero's barrels. I could be wrong, though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm sure this has been posted in previous pages, but those of you going with a set screw gas block on your build, these SLR dimple jigs are great. I forgot to order one with my Sentry 9. Just got it in the mail today and it worked great. $30.99 plus shipping from SLR. Others carry it too.

So now my 6.5 Creed M5E1 build now has a properly dimpled barrel for my gas block. I'm happy...for now. Still have a few more items to get.

https://i.imgur.com/OR1v0Plh.jpg
View Quote
did not know that existed,
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm under the impression that BA makes all of Aero's barrels. I could be wrong, though.
View Quote
That is correct.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a question.  I just finished building a M5 using all of Aero parts except for the bolt carrier which is Aim's.  I have a 16inch BA barrel and I'm using Aero 308 Carbine length buffer tube with a 3.8oz buffer.  The problem I'm having is it will shoot, eject but not strip next round or lock open on an empty.  I'm shooting 175 federal gold match ammo.  Gas block was already pinned into place on the barrel so that might be off but since it ejects I'm guessing it's aligned.  Do I need a different spring for buffer weight?  Lighter or heavier?  Just need some guidance on what to try first before I order parts.  Any ideas would help!!

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Will it strip rounds and lock open on empty when you cycle it manually?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Everything works manually. I have about 1/4in clearance between the bolt and the bolt release when pulled to the rear. I did fire some 168gr federal gold match and it cycled through the mag but failed to lock open after the last round.  I was using a 10 round pmag.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#40]
It sounds to me like it's short-stroking. Could be undergassed (might need to check the gas block after all), but I've seen others report similar problems that went away when things loosened up after putting some rounds through their guns.

That's actually more space than you want between the bolt and bolt catch, though I doubt it's the reason for your problem. You want 1/10-1/8" there. It's probably the main reason so many large-frame ARs have trouble with breaking bolt catches; the bolt has too much room to accelerate forward, comes forward too fast and snaps the catch off. A lot of guys shim the bottom of the buffer tube with quarters to bring the BCG forward.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm having the same issue with a 14.5" 308 Ballistic Advantage barrel. Buffer used is the standard Aero carbine 308 buffer, gas block is SLR.

First range trip attempt, best I could tune the gas block to was get it cycling, but not locking open on empty. However, when I threw the suppressor on, it cycled and locked open on empty just fine.

Thought the same thing, that it wasn't getting enough oomph to push the BCG back without the suppressor, so I tried replacing the two tungsten weights in the buffer with steel weights, to make it lighter.

Tried that today and had the same issue. Wouldn't lock open on empty without the can. It did however had less malfunctions this time around.

Not sure what the next step is. Replace the buffer tube with an A5 length and use a regular AR15 carbine buffer?
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm having the same issue with a 14.5" 308 Ballistic Advantage barrel. Buffer used is the standard Aero carbine 308 buffer, gas block is SLR.

First range trip attempt, best I could tune the gas block to was get it cycling, but not locking open on empty. However, when I threw the suppressor on, it cycled and locked open on empty just fine.

Thought the same thing, that it wasn't getting enough oomph to push the BCG back without the suppressor, so I tried replacing the two tungsten weights in the buffer with steel weights, to make it lighter.

Tried that today and had the same issue. Wouldn't lock open on empty without the can. It did however had less malfunctions this time around.

Not sure what the next step is. Replace the buffer tube with an A5 length and use a regular AR15 carbine buffer?
View Quote
I wonder if the gas port is undersized in those BA barrels?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 2:39:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sure makes you wonder.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 2:57:48 AM EDT
[#44]
I was having a similar issue with my new BA 16" barrel and SLR gas block. I only had it on setting 6, forgot allen wrench for adjustments.

Was also having rounds stick in the chamber. Would be slightly out of battery, wouldn't fire, and then when trying to eject, I would have to ground pound on the charging handle to eject. This happened every time.
Was on my M5 lower with a rifle length tube and buffer. (Note: this same lower runs great with an 18" Mega barrel upper.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 6:51:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sure makes you wonder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure makes you wonder.
I can check so what size does the hole need to be?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I can check so what size does the hole need to be?
View Quote
Nabbed this from 308ar forum.

DPMS LR-308 Style Rifle
18"rifle0.308 0.0960
18"car0.308 0.0635
16"mid0.308 0.078
16"mid0.308 0.081
16"car0.308 0.07
16"car0.308 0.073
16"car0.308 0.076
20"rifle0.308 0.0935
20"rifle0.308 0.096

https://forum.308ar.com/topic/15037-barrel-gas-port-size308338260243-etc/
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#47]
In AR-15s, 14.5 middies can easily be undergassed. So I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's going on with that 14.5, assuming that it's a midlength.

ETA: Maybe something like a Flaming Pig might create a little back pressure and make it work better.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Negative, carbine length when it comes to the ballistic advantage 14.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#49]
I've posted pictures of my M5 previously, but I've made some updates.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Hey guys, I've got my lower completed and picked up a match grade, 18" stainless 6.5 CM barrel from DSG when they were on sale the other day, but I'm having a hard time deciding which upper and hand guard to go with.

I'm leaning toward one of the M5E1 uppers but I'm hesitant because it limits me to Aero's handguards. Can anyone talk me over the ledge?

Also, does anyone make a bolt compatible with aero's upper that is better than their own?
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top