BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 82
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Below is my build so far.  Need to wait till payday for a scope and bipod.  Cant wait to shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:51:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Below is my build so far.  Need to wait till payday for a scope and bipod.  Cant wait to shoot it.
http://i.imgur.com/bWHLyx2.jpg?2
View Quote

I think you read my mind.
I just ordered my SLR handguard a couple of days ago. Thanks for putting it together so I know I'll be happy with how it turns out. Great build.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:53:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very nice rifle. Question for you; did you buy the upper and lower already cerakoted from AP and then have SLR cerakote the hand guard? If so, how do the colors match up? I'm looking to do a very similar setup.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Very nice rifle. Question for you; did you buy the upper and lower already cerakoted from AP and then have SLR cerakote the hand guard? If so, how do the colors match up? I'm looking to do a very similar setup.

Cheers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers.

I bought matching upper/lower from Aero.  When I ordered the HG from SLR, I told them to do the cerakote in magpul FDE.  Its a near perfect match.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 3:16:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Very cool and thanks for the quick reply. Glad to hear it's a solid match because that's exactly what I was planning on doing. Hope your new rifle shoots well for you.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Question...i have the SLR rifleworks 13" solo lite rail. If i purchase the 18" aero precision black cmv rifle length barrel. Will the Vltor Clamp on gas block be under the rail or will it be visible??

Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Question...i have the SLR rifleworks 13" solo lite rail. If i purchase the 18" aero precision black cmv rifle length barrel. Will the Vltor Clamp on gas block be under the rail or will it be visible??

Thank you!
View Quote

With the rifle-length gas system that is standard on the AP 18" barrels, that will be close. The rifle-length systems are 12". I'd say that depending on the length of your gas block, a portion may protrude from underneath the hand guard.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

With the rifle-length gas system that is standard on the AP 18" barrels, that will be close. The rifle-length systems are 12". I'd say that depending on the length of your gas block, a portion may protrude from underneath the hand guard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!

Since the gas block is 1" in length. Perhaps the entire gas block will be seen?

Thank you! I appreciate the response.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Hell ya you did.

Build specs? Get a chance to shoot it yet?
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hell ya you did.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hell ya you did.

Haven't shot it yet.  The upper is a CMMG MK3 K 12.5" on an Aero M5 with an ALG ACT trigger.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nice floor. Also nice gun.
View All Quotes

Thank you
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Finallly got the money to finish my build. Just placed some sick orders and spent a grip of cash. I have a question about a gas block. I want nothing special. No need for an adjustable. Will any cheap 25 block work??

Here is what i ordered...

Magpul ctr stock. Fde color. 57 buks
Command arms grip. Upg16. 30 buks
Rifle length gas tube. 10 buks
Strike industries capsule dust cover. 18 buks
Forward assist. 13 buks
Pmag. 22 buks
Aero precision Bolt carrier group. 180 buks
Primary Arms 4-14X44 FFP Scope w/ ACSS HUD DMR .308 Reticle and
Scope mount and flip up sights. 360 buks.
DPMS LR-308 Heavy Barrel 1 in 10" Twist 20" Chrome Moly stripped. 195 buks.
Dpms barrel nut. 30 buks.
Sprinco .308 Carbine Extra Power Buffer Spring (Orange). 20 buks

Pretty much it other than the gas block. Need to find a cheapo. Any recommendations??

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Everyone is going to tell you to go buy a really rediculously expensive gas block, but if you are trying to save money the B.T.E. gas blocks are pretty damn nice.

I have used 4 of these B.T.E. micro gas blocks on different builds and they work great. I personally like the stainless steel clamp on style and for $45 you cant beat the performance.

I have the B.T.E. Micro Adjustable on my Aero M5 and it works great!

B.T.E. Gas Block
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Everyone is going to tell you to go buy a really rediculously expensive gas block, but if you are trying to save money the B.T.E. gas blocks are pretty damn nice.

I have used 4 of these B.T.E. micro gas blocks on different builds and they work great. I personally like the stainless steel clamp on style and for $45 you cant beat the performance.

B.T.E. Gas Block
View Quote

I currently have a Seekins on back order with DSG, I might be cancelling that order now

ETA Sold out

ETA 2 I emailed them to see then they would be back in stock, and in about an hour or so I received an email from George at BTE saying he found one. Got all paid up and a shipping label has even been made. Needless to say I'm impressed
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

B.T.E. Gas Block
View Quote

Thank you sir. I like that. Now im questioning if i should get the adjustable for a few bucks more. Ughhh!! Is it rather easy to adjust? Honestly, I am a newb at that part. I have owned an ar before but never experienced an adjustable block.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Ya they are easy to adjust.  You can run them in the wide open position and it will be the same as a normal gas block or you can adjust...

This is only adjusted to the round that you are firing though so if you change your loads it puts out different pressures so you would have to readjust to the load your firing

To adjust for your load, turn the gas adjustment screw in until approximately 1/8" of threads are left outside the block, then load one round in the magazine and fire. If the bolt holds open, the gas block is set. If the bolt does not stay open, it is short-stroking and the valve should be opened about another half turn. Continue backing the gas adjustment screw out until the bolt holds open consistently on last round lock back. Test this again with one round in the magazine.

I have a JP Silent Captured Spring in my Aero M5 and I was able to turn the gas down and make it run very smooth.

If you plan on running a supressor I would recomend getting an adjustable block since it puts out a lot higher pressure
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ya they are easy to adjust.  You can run them in the wide open position and it will be the same as a normal gas block or you can adjust...

This is only adjusted to the round that you are firing though so if you change your loads it puts out different pressures so you would have to readjust to the load your firing

To adjust for your load, turn the gas adjustment screw in until approximately 1/8" of threads are left outside the block, then load one round in the magazine and fire. If the bolt holds open, the gas block is set. If the bolt does not stay open, it is short-stroking and the valve should be opened about another half turn. Continue backing the gas adjustment screw out until the bolt holds open consistently on last round lock back. Test this again with one round in the magazine.

I have a JP Silent Captured Spring in my Aero M5 and I was able to turn the gas down and make it run very smooth.

If you plan on running a supressor I would recomend getting an adjustable block since it puts out a lot higher pressure
View Quote

Hey thanks a lot for that info. I really appreciate it. Think I am going to order that satin one. Cant really decide.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Never mind
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I currently have a Seekins on back order with DSG, I might be cancelling that order now

ETA Sold out

ETA 2 I emailed them to see then they would be back in stock, and in about an hour or so I received an email from George at BTE saying he found one. Got all paid up and a shipping label has even been made. Needless to say I'm impressed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

B.T.E. Gas Block

ETA Sold out

I tried to order one as well, sold out. Luckily he found you one. Thats cool!

I found a Seekins adjustable block on primaryarms site. Ordered it up. Got free shipping from them. Only cost 56 bucks out the door. Now I noticed they are sold out. I may have gotten their last one.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#25]
" />

" />

These pics are just before I sent the upper, lower, handguard, bipod, and vortex 3X magnifier and BCM vertical grip out to get coated in multicam. ordered an AN/PEG-15 laser designator and just waiting on that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I found a Seekins adjustable block on primaryarms site. Ordered it up. Got free shipping from them. Only cost 56 bucks out the door. Now I noticed they are sold out. I may have gotten their last one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

B.T.E. Gas Block

ETA Sold out

Seeking gas blocks are in stock at brownells.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Joeboboutfitters has an adjustable gas block for $29.95
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Here's another option for us cheap asses, I can update on the quality in a few days

I like that the joe bob ones have a surface treatment though, probably would have went that option

I kind of plan on buying a slr and getting a KX3, just was being cheap to get my gun running next week when I'm back in town

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Flag-Firearms-Adjustable-Gas-block-3-gun-free-float-5-56-223-300BLK-6-8SPC/201300152467?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D333008%26algo%3DRIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122152441%26meid%3D31d9c57e66994a72b1433eca30bc60db%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D191524746888
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#31]
 ust got the cmr rail and seekins adjustable gas block. I also have a raptor handle coming in the mail (in stock at rogtac if anyone wants one). temporarily wearing a 5.56 acog until i find an optic i like/ can afford. Ill get better pics another day

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:22:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Totally half assed the build today. Got my last couple pieces delivered this evening. Put together incredibly loosely. Still need to install my charging handle and BCG. Not happy with this buttstock. Dont like how the fde colors dont match. I will order a black one and return this one. Finished build pics to follow this weekend... :D
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, all I lack now is my barrel from BHW to finish my build.

When I put together everything my bolt carrier wouldn't move all the way back. Upon further inspection I found it was hitting the bolt catch. I spent most of last night trying to remove the damn bolt catch set screw since the set screw got stripped to get the bolt catch out. Finally after finding the smallest screw extractor they had at Lowes I was able to get it out.

I bought the Armalite bolt catch since that's what some of you used instead of the DPMS version. Well there is a ridge on the bolt catch that catches the follower on the mag. This ridge was not allowing the bolt catch to sit level with the top of the lower. So, I took the dremel out and ground the ridge down flush with the rest of the bolt catch but I left the extended part of the ridge so it would still make contact with the magazine follower.  Works perfect now.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well, all I lack now is my barrel from BHW to finish my build.

When I put together everything my bolt carrier wouldn't move all the way back. Upon further inspection I found it was hitting the bolt catch. I spent most of last night trying to remove the damn bolt catch set screw since the set screw got stripped to get the bolt catch out. Finally after finding the smallest screw extractor they had at Lowes I was able to get it out.

I bought the Armalite bolt catch since that's what some of you used instead of the DPMS version. Well there is a ridge on the bolt catch that catches the follower on the mag. This ridge was not allowing the bolt catch to sit level with the top of the lower. So, I took the dremel out and ground the ridge down flush with the rest of the bolt catch but I left the extended part of the ridge so it would still make contact with the magazine follower.  Works perfect now.
View Quote

To avoid this sort of nonsense, I think Im just going to buy all of my lower and small parts from Aero.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

B.T.E. Gas Block

THANKS for that link - I have been looking for a lower cost clamp-on adj block and that one looks to be the ticket.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Ground out the feed ramps on the receiver to match the barrel  today, I forgot a gas tube roll pin so I'll probably shoot it next week, threw on a cheap bushnell scope with some barska rings, its a 3-9x and I'll use it for a little to figure out what kind of optic I want, I'm tempted to get a fixed 3x or 4x scope

Polished BCG and rounded edges

Looking at bedding the barrel into the receiver with locktite most likely

Followed this guide

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_4/42_Hellbenders_guides_to_Ultimate_AR15_and_or_AR10.html

Had to clearance the BCM charging handle

The black flag gas block doesn't seem bad, it has some sort of black coating on it, probably black oxide

Will probably get a real KX3 sooner than later

-M5E1 upper, 12" handgaurd
-BCM Mod 3 grip, and mod 4 charging handle
-PSA LPK
-BAD mag release button
-Black Flag adjustable gas block
-Aero BCG
-UTG A2 stock
-Armalite gas tube, buffer spring, and buffer
-Aero take down pins
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Is it typical to have two o-rings on the extractor spring?, it seemed to be tearing up my dummy rounds, then I took them both off and it seems better, can't tell for sure since the snap caps are scratched now

Might try just one o-ring tomorrow

I'll probably fire it in a few days
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#38]
All done baby...ready to rock 'n' roll!!!!

Still want to get a harris bipod and some sort of sling.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#39]
got mine together

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#40]
That was probably the biggest DOHH moment I've had in a while as I sat there looking at it

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Has anyone seen this issue before? MI .308 SS-KeyMod with barrel nut torqued to 45 ft/lbs (30-60ft/lbs recommended). It appears the barrel nut has screwed on too far, or the rail overhang is too large. Either way, it's an unsightly gap and I am highly displeased in how it turned out. Upper receiver is an Aero M5.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7592/16157539814_e70ac48008_c.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8583/16159920223_46b4b4d80f_c.jpg
View Quote

There's no barrel there.  Of course the nut is on "too far".  The barrel extension gets sandwiched between the barrel nut and receiver face.  It's a fairly substantially thick amount on a 308 as well.  Put your barrel on and then complain if it's still wrong.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Where do I need to grind my BCM charging handle

It's gouged out pretty bad now
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Has anyone seen this issue before? MI .308 SS-KeyMod with barrel nut torqued to 45 ft/lbs (30-60ft/lbs recommended). It appears the barrel nut has screwed on too far, or the rail overhang is too large. Either way, it's an unsightly gap and I am highly displeased in how it turned out. Upper receiver is an Aero M5.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7592/16157539814_e70ac48008_c.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8583/16159920223_46b4b4d80f_c.jpg
View Quote

Torquing a barrel  nut with no barrel ?
Stop it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#44]
i was about 2 seconds away from pulling the trigger on a M5 308 set i found on slickguns today, now this thread is on ARFcom.  i will have to take this as a signal.  wife should buy that
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Where do I need to grind my BCM charging handle

It's gouged out pretty bad now
View Quote

I dremeled down the nubs on the bottom of the CH
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 3:07:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Completed mine about a month ago and absolutely love it!

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Completed mine about a month ago and absolutely love it!

<a href="http://s201.photobucket.com/user/Javonys/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_22.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa167/Javonys/Mobile%20Uploads/image_22.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s201.photobucket.com/user/Javonys/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_20.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa167/Javonys/Mobile%20Uploads/image_20.jpg</a>
View Quote

Did the barrel nut come with that hand guard or did you have to order separate? Nice looking rifle
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:57:30 AM EDT
[#48]
The barrel nut comes with the M5E1 upper reciever. Thanks for the compliment
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Anyone attempt a "light" build on this receiver set? If so, i'd appreciate a parts list and total weight without optics.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Anyone attempt a "light" build on this receiver set? If so, i'd appreciate a parts list and total weight without optics.
View Quote

mine's a lightweight build, pic is a few posts back
7lbs 12oz (7.76lbs)

blackhole weapons 14.5 midlength light profile
aero M5E1 upper combo
aero M5 blem lower
aero NiB bolt group
aero M5 specific pins and bolt release
PSA lower parts kit for the rest
MOE grip and a basic m4 stock for now
SLR rifleworks adjustable gas block
geissele G2S trigger
bcm big latch charging handle (mod4?)
kinetitech brake w/ screw on sound redirector device

Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top