Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 82
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still having failure of the bolt to lock when dropped from the bolt catch, even with an Orange spring?Does it tap close with a little help from the forward assist?
View Quote
Yes

And, i have to reset the trigger.  

What in the heck is gng on?!?!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yes

And, i have to reset the trigger.  

What in the heck is gng on?!?!
View Quote
Take your upper off and take a picture of your lower looking down at the trigger for me. 
Also, take the charging handle out, bolt carrier out, and take a picture of those two parts and what the inside of the upper looks like. In particular wear marks.
Since you have a new upper, we can rule that out. Are you using the same bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Take your upper off and take a picture of your lower looking down at the trigger for me. 
Also, take the charging handle out, bolt carrier out, and take a picture of those two parts and what the inside of the upper looks like. In particular wear marks.
Since you have a new upper, we can rule that out. Are you using the same bolt carrier?
View Quote
Yes same bcg.  
I have got to be doing something wrong

Could a malfunctioning trigger cause this?  

I will get pix, sick as hell w the flu

Thank u
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes same bcg.  
I have got to be doing something wrong

Could a malfunctioning trigger cause this?  

I will get pix, sick as hell w the flu

Thank u
View Quote
I was thinking trigger issue for some reason. However we can give you a better answer once you show us the pics.
Get well soon!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quick question, but if an upper comes factory with the Aero handguards, how easy/difficult is it to swap out the stock handgurds for a different one?? And which other ones might fit?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quick question, but if an upper comes factory with the Aero handguards, how easy/difficult is it to swap out the stock handgurds for a different one?? And which other ones might fit?
View Quote
Aero sells two types of 308 Uppers. As long as it is not an "Enhanced" upper. (it would say so in the description) you can use ANY DMPS High profile handguards. Just google for them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dang, upon disassembly (have to re do the torque to 65), I notice that my gas tube DOES touch the teeth on the barrel nut (M5e1). I thought you didn't need to "time" these on the M5e1? Maybe it doesn't necessarily require timing, but dang it scrapes the gas tube (as in visible scrape). No wonder it's such a PITA to get the gas tube in this thing. Talk about "scraping by"! Ah well, it is what it is.
View Quote
Problem solved. I retorqued to 65 and the tooth was directly under the gas tube (again), and YES... it DOES scrape (even tried two brand new different tubes, 1 Anderson, 1 RF). So I did the loosen, retorque (repeat many times) until it timed with the teeth between the gas tube. Tube went in easy peasy. With MY M5e1 (can't speak for others), the teeth are definitely lower than normal (and the tube hole sits a tad higher), but they are just barely long enough to impede the gas tube. May want to check yours and make sure your tube isn't binding on a tooth. Anything other than directly under the tube seems to be fine (doesn't have to be perfectly timed). Just a FYI.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Finally Done.

Now I never shoot it.

Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#9]
so my trigger reset was fucked up.  fixed that this weekend.
hoping to shoot it this week to see if that solves my issues.

sorry still no pix, between being sick and 2 little kids, i dont get a lot of time...  
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Rifle is now functioning fine

Although it did not like hornady 150gr soft points.  Federal fusion and Aguila fmg's worked great.  

Ordered a vg6 gamma, the aac single chamber break, sux
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#11]
http://ballisticadvantage.com/ar-parts/ar-barrels?barrel_length=35

Okay seems like every one loves BA Premium 308 barrels.  I know I want 18" barrel.. but which model?

Looks like they have 18" heavy (rifle), 18" *Hanson* heavy (middy) (with pinned .875GB) , 18" Tactical (middy).  All are advertised as premium.  But from what I read its best to use an adjustable gas block with an AP M5 build because it can be over gassed easily.

Which barrel should I get to go with my bare Aero M5 builders kit (stripped lower, upper, 15" MLOK rail)?  I'm guessing the 18" heavy rifle barrel then get the SLR adjustable gas block for another $115?

I plan on shooting both suppressed and unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rifle is now functioning fine

Although it did not like hornady 150gr soft points.  Federal fusion and Aguila fmg's worked great.  

Ordered a vg6 gamma, the aac single chamber break, sux
View Quote
So, that was a trigger issue then?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So, that was a trigger issue then?
View Quote
somewhat.  i had 1 round fail to feed.  
i think it just needed to be run to get things working correct.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Sweet looking M5!

What's BCG and barrel did you use?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sweet looking M5!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Sweet looking M5!

Check out this thread

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/713296_.html&page=1&anc=7444790#i7444790
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Rail came in today. Can't wait to shoot it!
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I know the recommended barrel nut torque is 65 ft lbs for the M5E1. What I am curious about is do I need to torque/loosen/torque a few times like most do with standard uppers with the threads on the outside?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I know the recommended barrel nut torque is 65 ft lbs for the M5E1. What I am curious about is do I need to torque/loosen/torque a few times like most do with standard uppers with the threads on the outside?

Thanks
View Quote
Yes.  It's the same procedure, just a different style of barrel nut.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes.  It's the same procedure, just a different style of barrel nut.
View Quote
Thanks. Have assembled with standard uppers but not yet with the M5E1 variant. I'll go through the same procedure.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Got mine started, at least I have the parts and test fitted the bolt and charging handle.
Aero M5A1 upper with 16" CMV barrel and 12" handguard
Aero Stripped lower
Aero 308 lower part kit minus FCG
Aero 308 buffer tube kit
AIM AR .308/7.62X51 Nitride BDG Bolt Carrier Group
ALG Defense ACT trigger group
BCM GUNFIGHTER Charging Handle (7.62mm/.308) Mod 4 (MEDIUM) Latch
BCM GUNFIGHTER Grip MOD 3 Black
Buttstock to be determined.

It appears that the AIM bolt engages properly with the forward assist and the BCM charging handle clears the lower receiver just fine.
Just got to put it together.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:06:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Aero M5E1 12.5 inch 308 SBR
all aero parts
magpul mag, sights, and stock
silencerco muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyone run the Ballistic Advantage NiB 308 BCG in their build? Any issues? I have seen lots of reviews of the AP NiB 308 BCG and the lack of small firing pin hole for 6.5 creedmoor builds but no reviews of the BA one.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm jumping in the aero m5 pool. Have everything ordered...
Aero 18"  Cmv m-lok complete upper
Aero phosphate bcg and charging handle
Aero lpk (standard)
Aero m5 buffer kit
Magpul moe stock
Aero blem lower
Magpul mbus sights
2 magpul 20 rounders
With the $25 transfer fee..$1073

This will get me into the 308, first of 2 of coarse.
I have no 308 ammo, so that going to suck.
Will need to get scope too. Nothing fancy for this one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm jumping in the aero m5 pool. Have everything ordered...
Aero 18"  Cmv m-lok complete upper
Aero lpk (standard)
Aero m5 buffer kit
Magpul moe stock
Aero blem lower
Magpul mbus sights
2 magpul 20 rounders

This will get me into the 308, first of 2 of coarse.
I have no 308 ammo, so that going to suck.
Will need to get scope too. Nothing fancy for this one.
View Quote
Very nice. SWFA has 10% off and free shipping right now. I'm throwing one of their fixed 12X on mine. Have used another for awhile and like it for the price point.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Finally Done.

Now I never shoot it.

http://i64.tinypic.com/sobdeg.jpg
View Quote
That's a nice looking blaster. Been wanting to twist one together like it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y529/Johnsonx32/2017-05-09%2022.11.04_zpsl5dstbum.jpg

all aero parts
silencerco muzzle brake.
View Quote
Been wanting to do a 12.5" AR308 for a while now... Very nice!

Why the muzzle brake, though? I'd expect your rifle to rattle teeth loose with the short barrel/brake combo.

ETA: Or will you be shooting 100% suppressed?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:14:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Why the muzzle brake, though? I'd expect your rifle to rattle teeth loose with the short barrel/brake combo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y529/Johnsonx32/2017-05-09%2022.11.04_zpsl5dstbum.jpg

all aero parts
silencerco muzzle brake.

It was a very fun project to start off last year. It all began with a Aero Precision lower and a form 1 with 200 bucks.

I forgot to add that I have a Odin adjustable gas block point as well. It worked great and effective with suppression. Running the specwar 762, I ran just into some trouble with the handguard being so tight to it. I thought about doing a chop, but have decided to wait it out for now. With a little finesse, I can put on the suppressor with a tool to help me reach a locking collar. It's a pain to take off and on tho.

Also this rifle is loud. That was my intention on this entire build. I call it little thumper or Thor's other black hammer. The concussion alone will rattle your teeth if you shoot indoors. This only changes when you suppress it with a quality can that makes it comfortable. Lastly I need to double up on here protection when shootings this rifle.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Got mine together tonight, put 50 rounds through it. Fun to shoot, my first time shooting an ar10. Federal xm80, and a nice little kick. List of what I did...

Aero 18" Cmv m-lok complete upper
Aero lpk (standard)
Aero m5 buffer kit
Magpul moe stock
Aero blem lower
Magpul mbus sights
2 magpul 20 rounders

Probably cheaper ways to go.
Next, don't know what optic to put on it. Don't want to put too much scope on it and take away its plinking fun factor.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Just got done with this a few days ago, I put 60 rounds through it (M80 ball). other then 3 malfunctions I had while figuring out the SLR gas block settings it ran flawless, going to hit the range in the next week or so to put a bunch of match ammo through it to see what it'll do.

Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Looking for opinions.  Looking for precision long range accuracy in my M5.  I am not overly concerned with weight. Definitely going rifle length at either 22 or 24 inches. I see Fulton has pre threaded Krieger barrels, read good things about the Rainier ultra match.  Also see a lot of positive Proof Research info and am debating on their steel or carbon barrel.  So many choices and so little documented accuracy information.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Looking for opinions.  Looking for precision long range accuracy in my M5.  I am not overly concerned with weight. Definitely going rifle length at either 22 or 24 inches. I see Fulton has pre threaded Krieger barrels, read good things about the Rainier ultra match.  Also see a lot of positive Proof Research info and am debating on their steel or carbon barrel.  So many choices and so little documented accuracy information.
View Quote
I have a Fulton in my Mega MATEN. I have been incredibly pleased with it. I don't have any documentation, but on the list of things that I have liked: at least 1 MOA accuracy with a wide variety of loads, no lack of accuracy during high round count stages (PRS matches), weight is competitive (not ultralight but good). I have had a Rainier Ultra Match in 223 Wylde in the past that I was not overly impressed with. I tried everything including a wide variety of ammo and infinite gas adjustment to try and get the accuracy I wanted. For the price I definitely have enjoyed the accuracy from my Fulton barrel much more. Proof is just too far out of my price range for what it offers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Factory 18" upper with KAK BCG and BCM CH. SLR Sentry 7 adjustable gas block. Geissele SSA-E with factory built lower. ADM Recon 30mm mount. Will probably end up with SWFA SS 3-15x. Changing the muzzle devic3 to a AAC 51t mount for my SD-N6
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Anyone run the Ballistic Advantage NiB 308 BCG in their build? Any issues? I have seen lots of reviews of the AP NiB 308 BCG and the lack of small firing pin hole for 6.5 creedmoor builds but no reviews of the BA one.

Thanks
View Quote
Looks like a rebadged toolcraft to me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#35]
What is the consensus on compatible BCGs for the M5? 

I see some great deals on the Toolcraft BCGs which I understand are well made - but will they work with the Aero uppers? 

Any others I should consider? 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I see some great deals on the Toolcraft BCGs which I understand are well made - but will they work with the Aero uppers? 

View Quote
I used the toolcraft for a bit.  Cycled fine but I pulled it because of the larger firing pin diameter that wasn't 6.5 Creedmoor friendly.  Should work great in a 308 build though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I used the toolcraft for a bit.  Cycled fine but I pulled it because of the larger firing pin diameter that wasn't 6.5 Creedmoor friendly.  Should work great in a 308 build though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.  This is a 308 build so I'm not worried about blown primers. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#38]
After 2.5 yrs, the remaining parts I need are on the way.  I will update when I get everything put together but here is what it will all be:

-Aero upper, lower, 12in MLOK rail, and lower parts kit
-Aero nitride BCG
-Luth-AR fixed stock
-CMMG spring and buffer
-Magpul MOE grip
-Larue MTB trigger
-Seekins ambi safety
-Raptor ambi charging handle
-DPMS bolt catch (just in case)
-Rainier Match Lightweight 16in barrel and gas tube (my bolt is with them for head spacing)
-Sentry 7 adjustable clamp on gas block
-Seekins 308 flash hider
-Larue LT-104 mount
-Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44

I can't wait.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would you recommend for a 6.5 Creedmoor BCG?  Planning on doing that for my next build.  Would really like to stick with something in Black Nitride or Nib.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What would you recommend for a 6.5 Creedmoor BCG?  Planning on doing that for my next build.  Would really like to stick with something in Black Nitride or Nib.
View Quote
Fulton Armory makes one in NIB that has the smaller diameter firing pin hole
Here ya go
http://www.fulton-armory.com/boltcarriergroupcompletetitanincludesboltcomplete-2.aspx
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:05:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Aero phosphate and nitrided 308 BCG have the smaller firing pin diameter, they should work good in 6.5CM.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The Aero phosphate and nitrided 308 BCG have the smaller firing pin diameter, they should work good in 6.5CM.
View Quote
That's what I'm currently using in my 6.5 M5's.  One phosphate and one nitride.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for the replies, guys.  I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#45]

This one isn't quite M5 all-the-things, but pretty close.
I'm probably crazy for doing it, but this was actually my first AR build, and did it completely from scratch, no assembled parts except the dust cover and forward assist.

AP M5E1 upper and 15" M-lock handguard
AP 20" .308 stainless barrel
AP NiB BCG
BCM Gunfighter Mod3 charging handle (I'd probably go Mod4 if I did it again)
80% lower from M1 Machining (Was very pleased with this one, everything in spec, and good finish)
AP LPK
Geissele High-Speed National Match DMR trigger (started with mil-spec but that went away fast)
Magpul MIAD 1.1 Type 2 grip (had to modify the beavertail to fit, but the type 1 beavertail was too short)
Mapgul PRS Gen2 stock, added their QD footman's loop
Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 on an AP lightweight mount. (Built it mainly for hunting so no need for crazy optics; we'll see how it holds up, and it was cheap so no big deal if I end up replacing it)

I'm really happy with the way this one turned out. I haven't had it on paper yet, but it's definitely within "minute-of-deer" at ~150 yds.
No real malfunctions yet using decent ammo though I've only had ~100 rounds through it so far.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Nice stock and I like Nikon.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#47]
It's a heavy stock but it really helps balance the gun. You have good taste in stocks too; I have the same one on my AR15.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I used the AIM Surplus Nitride BDG bolt carrier assembly in my Aero and it works just fine.  HERE.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
After 2.5 yrs, the remaining parts I need are on the way.  I will update when I get everything put together but here is what it will all be:

-Aero upper, lower, 12in MLOK rail, and lower parts kit
-Aero nitride BCG
-Luth-AR fixed stock
-CMMG spring and buffer
-Magpul MOE grip
-Larue MTB trigger
-Seekins ambi safety
-Raptor ambi charging handle
-DPMS bolt catch (just in case)
-Rainier Match Lightweight 16in barrel and gas tube (my bolt is with them for head spacing)
-Sentry 7 adjustable clamp on gas block
-Seekins 308 flash hider
-Larue LT-104 mount
-Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44

I can't wait.
View Quote
Got everything put together this weekend.  Wont get to shoot until next weekend.  Hoping everything functions well.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Got everything put together this weekend.  Wont get to shoot until next weekend.  Hoping everything functions well.
https://goo.gl/Z8uj4s
View Quote
Great looking build!  Let us know how the Rainier barrel shoots!
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top