Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2014 5:07:46 PM EDT
I have searched and have read so much that I am even more confused.

Some like this one, and some had that one fail.

Am I correct in my thinking that alot of the newer 7.62 x 39 bolts have come along way in the last few years?

So, as long as the bolt is made out of 9130 steel, and is either "enhanced" so more standard firing pin protrudes.....or you buy a slightly longer "Enhanced" firing pin........you should be good to go, or not.

Many of the better priced ones out there still have the 9310 steel, so I can't decide if I should just roll with one of them, or spend what I would on the complete bolt carrier assembly and get a Liberty gun works one (Stainless steel) for $150 or a Cason Emgineering bolt........I don't want to buy twice, but I also don't want to over spend if I don't have to.

I will be using an adjustable gas block. so maybe that will help a bit on broken lugs,

Please don't say "Get an LMT and be done with it"....because what I can tell from all the reading is that they no longer make them.

I am leaning towards these, not in any order.....although the Rubber City seems best for some reason.

1. Rubber City Armory
2. Sota Arms
3. Red X arms
4. MAS Defence
5. Ambush Tactical

I would be getting complete bolt carrier assemblies.

Am I right based on the 9130 steel or are there many other variables that make a "better" 7.62 x 39 bolt?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have searched and have read so much that I am even more confused.

Some like this one, and some had that one fail.

Am I correct in my thinking that alot of the newer 7.62 x 39 bolts have come along way in the last few years?

So, as long as the bolt is made out of 9130 steel, and is either "enhanced" so more standard firing pin protrudes.....or you buy a slightly longer "Enhanced" firing pin........you should be good to go, or not.

Many of the better priced ones out there still have the 9310 steel, so I can't decide if I should just roll with one of them, or spend what I would on the complete bolt carrier assembly and get a Liberty gun works one (Stainless steel) for $150 or a Cason Emgineering bolt........I don't want to buy twice, but I also don't want to over spend if I don't have to.

I will be using an adjustable gas block. so maybe that will help a bit on broken lugs,

Please don't say "Get an LMT and be done with it"....because what I can tell from all the reading is that they no longer make them.

I am leaning towards these, not in any order.....although the Rubber City seems best for some reason.

1. Rubber City Armory
2. Sota Arms
3. Red X arms
4. MAS Defence
5. Ambush Tactical

I would be getting complete bolt carrier assemblies.

Am I right based on the 9130 steel or are there many other variables that make a "better" 7.62 x 39 bolt?
View Quote

Here is what I would spend my hard earned money on with regards to a high quality x39 AR-15 bolt assembly/complete BCG:

9130 Alloy Steel or better...
HPT Tested at factory or lab...
MPI Tested at factory or lab...
Meets Mil-Spec standards or greater...
Melonite or Hard Chrome Plated or in critical
areas anyway...(not really necessary but nice to have).
Proper radi'd extractor for X39 case head made from S7 Tool Steel or better...
Extended length/enhanced firing pin for proper Ignition of hard Military/Surplus/Steel Cased Primers...

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd like to hear thoughts on a maxim enhanced bolt. I'm pretty set on buying one, I think

It is 9310 steel for $75 (bolt only, OP)
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I've read good things on the tactical ambush bolt and they were on sale when I bought it a few days ago maybe still on sale now.

I have one on way but won't be used for atleast a month or so haven't bought all the parts for the x39 pistol build yet.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I would too, no reviews yet. I currently have 2 7.62x39 ar's the first one I used a tactical ambush bolt, I had to add tension to the extractor in order for it to run 100%. They also use a o-ring under the front of the extractor so that the extractor doesn't sit so far in, this bothers me but I don't know why as the bolt has probably a total of 700 rounds through it now (using it in my new build until my cason bolt arrives) with no hiccups. I spoke with sota they were very honest when I asked about broken bolts. He said they sell 600 a month and has gotten a few back over the last 4 months, so the odds are still pretty good, there and I Imagine the rate of breakage among 9310 bolt are similar. You have to ask yourself, how many rounds will I really put through this weapon, if it is less than 2000 I say don't waste your money on an enhanced bolt. If it is more like 10k go with a cason or liberty. Also LMT bolts are awsome but if it does fail it is out of production so there will be no product support. Liberty and Cason are still making bolts and stand by their stuff. I went with cason purely based on a phone conversation with them, they told me that they would fix any issue that ever came up but that they have never even had an extractor break. This latest rifle will be shot to death and then good parts recycled, so to me its worth the $175  but for most it probably doesnt make economic sense.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I talked with Patrick from Top Notch Top Ends...........they sell the Rubber City Armory complete Black Nitride bolt carrier assembly....I emailed him a few questions and he called the last time and we talked for about 30 minutes.

The Rubber City unit has a lifetime warranty....I don't know what all that means, but sure sounds good.

Pat had aver 3000 rounds of steel cased ammo through his one 7.62 build, with only one issue that the primer didn't ignite. He says they use them in their builds now because they have good luck. He also said Oly Arms have very good 7.62 bolts.

He also praised the black nitride finish itself.

I emailed him with the checklist that Dr69er noted.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a SOTA upper, bolts been so far good for 5-600 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:54:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a Cason bolt.  2000+ rounds down mine and it still looks factory after a good scrubbing.  No notable wear and no breakage.  No ejection/extraction issues either.  It's definitely worth the money.  I had a few hard primer but I would say maybe a dozen over the course of 2000 rounds.  I may be closer to 2500 now, need to check my records.  I say Cason Engineering, hands down.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I asked Pat about specs based on Dr69ers check list......here is his response on the Rubber City unit:

All the specs they have listed. They are fully nitride surfaces.
Blacknitride+ Enhanced
7.62x39  Complete w/ firing pin
Made of 9310
MPI batch inspected
Shot peened
Blacknitride+ Enhanced
Enhanced Radius Machined 7.62 Bolt, RCA Firing Pin,
Cam Pin, Retaining Pin
Carrier 8620
Bolt is 9310 - 7.62x39 caliber specific
4140 pre hardened billet gas key
Functions with standard dimension firing pin
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Cason Engineering if you want a bolt to run without problems for 10,000. They have the first prototype bolt still running hard. I'm putting mine through the test and so far so good. I have never heard a complaint from this bolt.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cason Engineering if you want a bolt to run without problems for 10,000. They have the first prototype bolt still running hard. I'm putting mine through the test and so far so good. I have never heard a complaint from this bolt.
View Quote

......but, but....they aren $178 for a bolt and firing pin. Ouchy!

Thank you for your input. I wish I could afford it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Cason/Liberty seems to be the best. I went with the TA since I plan on using it for hunting, so it won't have thousands of rounds put through it. Hopefully I'll have it next week and can post some pictures and a review. The TA bolt has an S7 extractor, is made from 9130, and is MPI'd.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Get an AK
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Already have some.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Get an AK
View Quote

I have one too.....I have been waiting for the "Get an AK" person.....it took you long enough

I have an M92 PAP Pistol with SIG brace. I like it, but nothing is comparable to an AR for me.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Tag as this is pertinent to my interests.  One of my many planned winter projects is building an 80% lower into an AK mag fed AR in 7.62x39.  Probably a pistol.  but I'm sure I'll end up with a rifle upper as well.  After all, it's a project of versatility
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cason/Liberty seems to be the best. I went with the TA since I plan on using it for hunting, so it won't have thousands of rounds put through it. Hopefully I'll have it next week and can post some pictures and a review. The TA bolt has an S7 extractor, is made from 9130, and is MPI'd.
View Quote

My TA bolt has around 750rnds as of today, still holding up.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I have both a Rubber City Armory and Liberty.  I have had no issues whatsoever with the RCA.  The Liberty is not extracting spent cases.  YMMV
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#18]
T A bolt arrived. Machining looks good, finish is standard phosphate extractor looks almost like a nitride finish, case seems to fit well into the bolt face.        http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn152/mattl_2008/IMG_20141115_142309_972.jpg
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#19]
My SOTA has worked fine for many hundreds of rounds since I contacted their tech line.  Complete SOTA Bolt and carrier with enhanced firing pin and Bravo extractor o-ring work fantastic as long as you have installed a heavy hammer spring.  I had trued and polished my trigger assembly to smooth it out and remove creep, but the 3# springs had to come back out to make it function properly/reliably.  Mine does sub- MOA @ 100yd with Wolf and very close with Tula off of sandbags.  Believe it or not, because I sure didn't.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#20]
What's going on with that o ring placement?

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#21]
It's just there to show it came with it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't know if they're available in the US but the new NEA 7.62x39 bolt works great for me. It's got a larger diameter so the rim isn't thinned down and comes with a larger diameter, longer protrusion firing pin. The downside is it requires a proprietary barrel extension.

7.62x39 bolt on the left, .223 on the right.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I just built my pistol 7.62 AR with the KAK industry BCG. The extractor came apart after the first 20 rounds. Called KAK, said they had a bad batch sent a new one no questions asked. Came in before the weekend, fired 150 rounds no problem. Now just need to test the two D&H mags that came into today and hopefully have a reliable and fun new toy
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:50:45 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

the o-ring is how they space the extractor over the rim of the fatter 7.62 cartridge, it has an o-ring on the extractor spring too.

</a>" />
Here is a picture of my TA bolt disassembled. It is my biggest gripe about the bolt, they could have milled the bolt a little differently and had the same effect, instead of using a soft part. Also this causes the extractor to rub a little on some carriers resulting in shiny spots that may prove to be a weak spot in the future. That said mine has over 800 rounds through it with no issues. It is one reason I chose a cason bolt on my latest build though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I figured they screwed up and put it in the wrong spot.  I don't like the O ring design either.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#26]
in order to get mine to work reliably I had to add the rubber spring insert in addition to the supplied spring and o-ring. Later I replaced the extractor spring with a springco xp 5 coil unit and added the insert for safe measure. With the rubber oring, insert and xp spring the extractor over powered the ejector so I simply removed the     o-ring and she has been perfect ever since. I have since replaced the bolt with a Cason bolt which worked great right out of the box. My brother is running the other bolt so if it ever breaks I'll let yall know.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#27]
I have an M1S build and the bolt worked completely reliably until it broke at approximately 1.5 k or so. That was with a lot of suppressed shooting which I know is a lot harder on the bolt. M1S replaced for free no questions asked and I'm back in business. I have thought about spending the coin on one of the enhanced 7.62 bolts out there but meh at this point. It's a fun blaster and my primary hunting rifle so it's not a life or death issue for me. I did pick up a spare M1S bolt and keep it in the grip though
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have an M1S build and the bolt worked completely reliably until it broke at approximately 1.5 k or so. That was with a lot of suppressed shooting which I know is a lot harder on the bolt. M1S replaced for free no questions asked and I'm back in business. I have thought about spending the coin on one of the enhanced 7.62 bolts out there but meh at this point. It's a fun blaster and my primary hunting rifle so it's not a life or death issue for me. I did pick up a spare M1S bolt and keep it in the grip though
View Quote

????

I would get a reliable bolt with good metallurgy.  To me, hunting is all about life and death, especially once you dress out and other predators catch wind of your kill, or chance contact with said predators.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Where can I buy an NEA bolt/barrel...I can't find anything but an unfinished web page thats not set up for commerce as of yet.

Are there any 3rd party sellers?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top