Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2014 8:52:22 AM EDT
There is little information/feedback from anyone hunting deer with 50 Beowulf.  I am looking to build a 50 Beowulf upper to hunt whitetail in my state.  Laws changes this year allowing hunting with "pistol/straight walled" ammo with a rifle.  This also gives me a good reason to build another upper .  Also any info on reloading the rounds would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks and God bless
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I highly recommend the Remington 385 grain HP Spitzer bullet.  It is very accurate and it's pointy shape allows  it to feed very reliably.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I highly recommend the Remington 385 grain HP Spitzer bullet.  It is very accurate and it's pointy shape allows  it to feed very reliably.
View Quote

I have a friend that also recommended this bullet. Is this the Core Loc ? If it is I believe that it was unfortunately discontinued. I'm going to start experimenting with the 385 Barnes and 400 Woodleigh. I have not had acceptable accuracy from the 400 Sierra.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There is little information/feedback from anyone hunting deer with 50 Beowulf.  I am looking to build a 50 Beowulf upper to hunt whitetail in my state.  Laws changes this year allowing hunting with "pistol/straight walled" ammo with a rifle.  This also gives me a good reason to build another upper .  Also any info on reloading the rounds would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks and God bless
View Quote

You better get started.  General season is coming up soon.  I am taking out a 10.5" Beowulf with 350gr XTP H-110 powder; technically a pistol with the Sig Brace.  Hope we score.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#4]
It has ballistics similar to a 45-70, so it would be awesome for Whitetail!
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#5]
ODNR List

Unfortunately, the Beowulf isn't currently on the list.

Likely could be nominated....

It is a pistol caliber (although rare in that format) so they should be able to add it to their list

Lot's of pic's if you google "50 Beowulf deer"
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't worry, get the cheap (yeah right) 325 gr HP's.  They leave holes that you can literally put you fist in.  Will post a pic of my son's first deer with the Wulf.  Lets just say she was easy to track!!

Doc

Ok, here they are, a bit graphic, but you get the idea;

Son is 6'8", 265 lbs so he makes the little doe and the AR look small!!  But you can see the type exit wound you are talking about!!  Made one good lunge then went down.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I have been hunting with a Beo for 3 years now and have taken a few deer.  My pet load is a Hornady 300 gr XTP.  Great ballistics out to 250 yards and it puts a major hurting on deer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I would love to get an AR pistol lower, Sig brace, and the 10" Beowulf upper for a brush gun!!   I think that will be my next project.

Doc
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Build your 50B the way you will want it configured as a rifle and then put a Sig brace on it.  (It then becomes a handgun)

The Current Ohio pistol caliber carbine list was apparently written & compiled by one of the moron board members drinking buddies. However, the law for actual handguns was not changed. (Any strait walled cartridge with a case 1" in length or greater and minimum of .357 in diameter fired from a handgun with a minimum 6" barrel length)

Once it becomes a handgun, 50B is legal (I just built a 450 bushmaster "handgun" with an 18" barrel for the Ohio deer season)

Eventually, they will get the law straightened out and you will be able to put a rifle stock on your 50B. Until then, the Sig brace is your friend.

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:50:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would love to get an AR pistol lower, Sig brace, and the 10" Beowulf upper for a brush gun!!   I think that will be my next project.

Doc
View Quote

That would be a mean build (.50 BEO, .458 SOCOM)
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#11]
How much meat is not destroyed when using a 50B on deer? I have a 16" 50B rifle that I use for hog hunting, but I typically don't look to save every ounce of meat on a hog, might want to save more on a deer I'd suspect (been deer hunting a few times with my bow but never with a rifle yet). I have a hunt coming up next week and was set on using my s&w m&p10 308, or my new 7.62x39 ar build if I can find a scope setup that makes me happy in time, but maybe I should just go back to ol faithful and use my 50B for the deer/hog hunt.

btw, what are you all noticing is the difference in point of impact at say 200/250 yards if you're zeroed at 100 yards already? There's only one place here that I can go out to 200+ yards now, the other place closed their 200 yard range and I found that out last week when I drove down to go sight in there. I usually use a 300 or 325gr speer bullet. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Build your 50B the way you will want it configured as a rifle and then put a Sig brace on it.  (It then becomes a handgun)

The Current Ohio pistol caliber carbine list was apparently written & compiled by one of the moron board members drinking buddies. However, the law for actual handguns was not changed. (Any strait walled cartridge with a case 1" in length or greater and minimum of .357 in diameter fired from a handgun with a minimum 6" barrel length)

Once it becomes a handgun, 50B is legal (I just built a 450 bushmaster "handgun" with an 18" barrel for the Ohio deer season)

Eventually, they will get the law straightened out and you will be able to put a rifle stock on your 50B. Until then, the Sig brace is your friend.

Good luck
View Quote

It doesnt work the way you think it does.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck

You really need to check up on laws before doing that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck

It says right in the rule book that handguns cannot be fired from the shoulder, so be careful with the Sig brace.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How much meat is not destroyed when using a 50B on deer? I have a 16" 50B rifle that I use for hog hunting, but I typically don't look to save every ounce of meat on a hog, might want to save more on a deer I'd suspect (been deer hunting a few times with my bow but never with a rifle yet). I have a hunt coming up next week and was set on using my s&w m&p10 308, or my new 7.62x39 ar build if I can find a scope setup that makes me happy in time, but maybe I should just go back to ol faithful and use my 50B for the deer/hog hunt.

btw, what are you all noticing is the difference in point of impact at say 200/250 yards if you're zeroed at 100 yards already? There's only one place here that I can go out to 200+ yards now, the other place closed their 200 yard range and I found that out last week when I drove down to go sight in there. I usually use a 300 or 325gr speer bullet. Thanks.
View Quote

Since I use mine for short shooting I have always high brisket or boiler room shot my deer.  No meat loss.

There is a difference in point of impact at 200 but I can't remember offhand what it is.  It's not much though.  Hold on the spine and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I would just build a 458 socom upper and not have to worry about a "straight wall" cartridge.
I would also enjoy the infinite variety of .458 projectiles available.

If you are in a hurry for general season, Tromix will sell you a complete 458 upper at a bargain price.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Apologies for the duplicate post.

I would just build a 458 socom upper and not have to worry about a "straight wall" cartridge.
I would also enjoy the infinite variety of .458 projectiles available.

If you are in a hurry for general season, Tromix will sell you a complete 458 upper at a bargain price.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Since I use mine for short shooting I have always high brisket or boiler room shot my deer.  No meat loss.

There is a difference in point of impact at 200 but I can't remember offhand what it is.  It's not much though.  Hold on the spine and you'll be fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went deer hunting this weekend and decided to not bring the beowulf along. I went the range the weekend prior to make sure it was still where I'd left it. I must've chosen the wrong 2 days to try. it was windy as all heck and my points of impact were all over the place (kinda similar to the last time when it broke the scope I had on it . Very possible it could've happened again). But I was able to harvest a deer with my 308. Now I need to straighten out the setup on my 7.62x39 upper and go find some piggies.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top