Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2014 1:38:28 PM EDT
What is the accepted procedure for trimming cases?  I see on the internet and ebay some small chop saws with a jig for locating the case.  Do these do a good job?  I've also seen some case trimming dies on the internet, but it's not clear how they are used.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#1]
depends on how much time you have on your hands............the best way would be to use a mini chop saw to rough cut........and then finish the process with a Dillon machine that has the trimmer mounted on top...........

I use the mini chop saw..........and then size and then trim them with a redding trimmer.........Ive got the redding with the adapter and spin them with an electric drill............takes time

or..........you can pay some one to convert if you have a lot of 223 brass on hand...........I think I paid a guy 7 cents a case to convert them over..........although at that price they were not annealed............
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I watched someone on a YouTube video use his RCBS case trimmer to "trim" his 5.56 cases to 300 blk.  It took over a minute per case.  Hsrbor Freight has a mini chop saw for about $30 and there are a few jigs available on Amazon for around $20.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a band saw to cut 10 at a time, then trim to exact size with a case trimmer.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw one guy take a car window motor and make a delrin crank/slider to push cases from a feeder tube into a blade mounted in a drill press, spit out a chopped case about every 2 seconds.  Faster than the harbor freight chop saw
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
depends on how much time you have on your hands............the best way would be to use a mini chop saw to rough cut........and then finish the process with a Dillon machine that has the trimmer mounted on top...........

I use the mini chop saw..........and then size and then trim them with a redding trimmer.........Ive got the redding with the adapter and spin them with an electric drill............takes time

or..........you can pay some one to convert if you have a lot of 223 brass on hand...........I think I paid a guy 7 cents a case to convert them over..........although at that price they were not annealed............
View Quote

To me the best way is to dump 223 brass in the casefeeder and run through the Dillon rt1200 in 1 pass, Now before people squawk about that being hard on the trimmer run some numbers. I killed a used RT1200 by putting 70,000 pieces of brass through it , half that brass was full length .223 cut down to 300blk so take 35,000 and times it by 0.07¢. heck even crunch the numders at half that price

Now tell me full length trimming on the RT1200 isn't the best way
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I watched someone on a YouTube video use his RCBS case trimmer to "trim" his 5.56 cases to 300 blk.  It took over a minute per case.  Hsrbor Freight has a mini chop saw for about $30 and there are a few jigs available on Amazon for around $20.
View Quote

You can easily make your own jig if you have some misc hardware and some skills.  

I used up a HF saw while it was still in warranty while cutting cases.  It was still running, but was noisy.  I have a fresh, new saw for the next round.

I used the WFT, but there is another of that type on the market that is cheaper if you use multiple case sizes.  

Saw cut. De-cap. Swage. Wet tumble. Lube. Size. Quick wipe with mineral spirits. Trim.  Deburr and Chamfer.

It can be time consuming, but is a great winter project...........  I started before I even had a barrel.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to work at Greenline ballistics and we pretty much only did 300blk, as it popular for hog hunters around these parts.

We used two Dillion trimmers hooked in series on the machine head, the first trimmer would do about half the case of the 5.56 we were converting, and the second finished it up. Be advised you're going to have brass shavings everywhere if you don't hook up a vacuum system if you are doing a lot of brass. I converted 3400 rounds in one day over a 10 hour span, and about slit my wrists from boredom.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Cheap chop saw, Squirl Daddy jig (with the saw stop screw) and finish on standard

trimmer after the case is sized.

I am curious about this trimmer though. Anyone use one?

http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Finest-Trimmer-300-Blackout/dp/B00BF0J2MG

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I use a band saw to cut 10 at a time, then trim to exact size with a case trimmer.
View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgH0DXVaZCg

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I could easily cut more cases with the chop saw than

that would take.

Edit nothing wrong with your way except band saws are not cheap,

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I chop mine wine a mini chop saw and a jig then size and trim on a Giraud.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Slightly more expensive setup than a window motor and drill press, but it's doing everything.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Slightly more expensive setup than a window motor and drill press, but it's doing everything.

http://youtu.be/c1FIs0FDmFQ
View Quote

Got a uto drive for my 1050 just haven't bothered to hook it up really need to as I've got 30K of brass that I should run, couple things about that set-up that I wonder about

1 how come no decap die in station 2
2 how come swagger backup assembley in station 3
3 how come no m-die in station 8

running that setup I think I'd use 2 trimmers instead
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:07:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Cheap chop saw, Squirl Daddy jig (with the saw stop screw) and finish on standard

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41hJWc3ZbjL.jpg
View Quote

I'm curious about that too. I use the HF chop saw and a hand trimmer. Slow process.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Let's define "case trimming."  I use that term to refer to reducing the length of a sized case.  It looks like your'e talking about cutting down .223 cases to make 300 Blackout cases, and that's a different animal.

I have a jig attached to a mini-chop saw to shorten .223 cases.  I found it on 300BlkTalk, and it works great.  After chopping cases, I anneal them one-at-a-time, and then size them.  After they're sized, I trim them with my Giraud trimmer.

One member here says "the correct method" is to use a Dillon 1200 trimmer, which does save a few separate steps, but not only is that trimmer kinda expensive, it doesn't allow for annealing, which I believe helps prevent early case failure - and may make the initial sizing easier.

I didn't invent my process.  It's based on the process dryflash3 presents in the 300 Blackout Master Thread in the Reloading Forum.  My variations are really just using a different method to chop the cases and a different trimmer for the finished cases.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I followed dryflash3 lead in this thread  about 2/3 down , posted about 6 months before the 300blk thread came about
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Forster case holder and trimmer with cheap drill press.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm curious about that too. I use the HF chop saw and a hand trimmer. Slow process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far, I've converted about 2,500 cases.  I did the first 50 with my old hand trimmer, quickly realized I would go insane continuing that way.  

Next step was the Lee Zip-Trim which was great in terms of consistency, ok in terms of being a bit faster, and not so great in that it really locks you in on one specific final length.

I now use the WFT trimmers for 300BLK and .223 and am very happy.  If I didn't already have the WFT, I'd look hard at the WFT2 if you're going to do any volume and different calibers.

I am jealous of a friend who has a Giraud, but that would be overkill for my current volume, as would the Dillon.  Awesome tools for really high volume though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I rough cut mine with the hf chop sawthen deburr , then size then finish trim.  I use my hand trimmer but bought a 300 head for my giraud which is much nicer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I could easily cut more cases with the chop saw than   that would take.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could easily cut more cases with the chop saw than   that would take.

I already have a band saw, I don't have a chop saw so I figured I would utilize what I already have. It seems to me that all of us use/mod what we have access to.

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Does anyone have thoughts on just buying some reformed brass like from these guys:
https://eastcoastarsenal.com/product/300-aac-blackout-reformed-brass/
I've never bought from them so I'd be curious as I'm looking at getting in the 300 blackout game as well. I figure 2000 pieces of 556 brass is worth about 120 so for $80 more I can have the brass already processed.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes I have a WFT in 300 BLK and it works fine, just make sure to de-lube your cases first or they will just spin in your hand.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does anyone have thoughts on just buying some reformed brass like from these guys:
I've never bought from them so I'd be curious as I'm looking at getting in the 300 blackout game as well. I figure 2000 pieces of 556 brass is worth about 120 so for $80 more I can have the brass already processed.
View Quote

To me, that's like buying a subscription for those cases.  I can make Blackout cases with very little effort.  A lot less effort than 2/3 more cost for LC brass that someone else processes for me...  I didn't spend $80 to get the stuff I needed to convert cases (even adding in the cost of the torch and the Tempilaq for annealing the cases), and I can make a whole lot of cases with that setup...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

To me, that's like buying a subscription for those cases.  I can make Blackout cases with very little effort.  A lot less effort than 2/3 more cost for LC brass that someone else processes for me...  I didn't spend $80 to get the stuff I needed to convert cases (even adding in the cost of the torch and the Tempilaq for annealing the cases), and I can make a whole lot of cases with that setup...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, how much extra time does the process take you in excess of the standard reloading of a rifle caliber round?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, how much extra time does the process take you in excess of the standard reloading of a rifle caliber round?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

About an hour a 1000, in extra tumbling time. just depends on your setup
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably not much compared to waiting for something to be shipped to me...    Part of the fun for me is having control of the whole process.  

It takes me somewhere around 30 minutes to cut 100 cases, about 10 minutes to prep them for annealing, and another 30 minutes to anneal them.  Afterward, it takes another half hour to size/form the cases and  about 15 minutes to trim them with my Giraud trimmer.  So not counting time for the cases to cool, it's abut 90 minutes for 100 cases if done all in one go.  That's about an extra minute per case, but it does need to be done in batches.  Not a problem for me, since most of my loading is batch-oriented (wet tumbling, size then delube, and finally load, etc.).
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top