Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2014 1:09:16 PM EDT
I want to buy a pistol length 300 BLK upper of about 8"-9". It must shoot both supers and subs reliably. I will reload for it.

I had my sights set on a AAC 9" 300 BLK upper, but now am wondering if I really need to spend a Grand on an upper in order for it to be reliable, durable and perty.

Can you guys recommend some alternatives that meet my above criteria but save me a little money in the process?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I built my upper  for just with the bolt and forearm for just under 500  using the CMMG barrel. That said if you don't mind tinkering the radical firearms from Primary arms are hard to beat at 600 all in. I have seen 5 of the uppers and 2 needed tweaking.  If I were starting over I would grab one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I built my upper  for just with the bolt and forearm for just under 500  using the CMMG barrel. That said if you don't mind tinkering the radical firearms from Primary arms are hard to beat at 600 all in. I have seen 5 of the uppers and 2 needed tweaking.  If I were starting over I would grab one.
View Quote

What kind of tweaking are you speaking of?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#3]
In the first 2 had to hone  the chambers .they were the first two of the 5  I have handled  the rest have been perfect out of the box.   Also I my CMMG despite my reservations have run great.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Prices on components are very inexpensive right now.

You could piece together a pistol or sbr upper with quality parts for relatively cheap.

I have an 8" Aero barreled slickside upper with a NiB bcg, a Raptor ch, 7" rail and A2 fh.  Total cost out of pocket so far is around ~$530.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Try www.weselluppers.com    .......good people and a good product at a reasonable price. No affiliation with them other than being a customer who has bought 2 different uppers from them
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#7]
you can get reliable and durable at a decent price pretty is gonna cost you 900.00. I have an 8.5 inch cmmg that does nothing but eat what ever I put in it suppressor on or off . Nothing fancy just a straight up pistol build with a sig brace .
the kak industries mr blonde kit seems to be pretty popular also . My dad just got a 16 inch carbine upper with pistol gas from radical arms . I loaded 208 grain amax subs , 225 grain hornady subs , nosler varageddons and hornady 110 grain v-max , It run them all just fine . They're options out there .
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:43:41 AM EDT
[#8]
You can build your own accurate upper for less.  Generic stripped upper, FA and ejection port assembly ~ $60-80 and BCG ~80-100. Then you just need a barrel and hand guard.  You could buy a very nice barrel and hand guard and still be significantly cheaper than the $900 AAC upper.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:53:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I built an upper using a Nap Tac Barrel in 10.5". They have 8.5" also. Pistol gas system & so far it works good. The 208 AMAX's were right at MOA & my hand loads have shown to be pretty decent out of it.

I did the upper with a mid length MI SSK, PSA upper & BCG, BTE Adj. Gas Block, KEIS tube, BCM "Training" large CH & A2 FH. Around $500-550 for everything.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top