Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2014 11:42:46 AM EDT
While I'me quite familiar woth the AR15, the other AR's are a mystery to me. I decided I want a .308 AR, so it's happening. I picked up a stripped Aero M5 and upper yesterdqay. I dont plan on a fast build. I figure one part/group a month.
I plan on it being 18" or so. It will be threaded for QD brake.
So where should I start?

I'm thinking butt stock, LPK, pistol grip

For the upper, charging handle, bolt, barrel (which may go to ADCO for threading if needed), free float tube.

On the barrels, i recall reading something about cut outs in the barrel extension similar to the M4 feedramps.  what's that all about?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you foresee this rifles purpose to be?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you foresee this rifles purpose to be?
View Quote

Mostly range time. Steels plates out  to 400. Deer and pig hunting as well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're already committed to the Aero M5 receiver set, get a 16" or 18" barrel from a decent source, and balance out the furniture to fit your frame/build/reach.

It will be plenty for pigs and 400yds on steel.

Barrel sources:

Fulton Armory
Brownell's
Ranier Arms
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's your stock LUTH-AR MBA Stock  I have one of these and it is badass, it's similar in function to a Magpul PRS but a lot lighter and cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Also I'm a big fan of this barrel Mega 18" barrel  it's stainless and nitrided and guaranteed sub-MOA with match ammo.  You can get it from there for $284 shipped with some codes.  I have the 16" and it groups very nice.

100 yards with reman match ammo
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:09:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I am commited to the M5 set, as it's sitting in the safe already and I got a pretty good deal.

I like the look of that stock, I'll have to check it out. Looks like it used a full length buffer tube, which I like.

On the barrel, will 2" make any real difference between 16 and 18". If not, I'd go for the 16, as it will almost always have a can on it. Speaking of which, are adjustable gas blocks made for the barrel linked?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd go for 16 or even shorter with a pinned qd mount. 400 yards is chump change for a good barrel. And the short and lighter the easier it is to maneuver it, obviously.
I'm a fan of the UBR for 308's, the weight brings the balance rearward some which in my LMT is pretty far forward, may not be an issue with your set.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am commited to the M5 set, as it's sitting in the safe already and I got a pretty good deal.

I like the look of that stock, I'll have to check it out. Looks like it used a full length buffer tube, which I like.

On the barrel, will 2" make any real difference between 16 and 18". If not, I'd go for the 16, as it will almost always have a can on it. Speaking of which, are adjustable gas blocks made for the barrel linked?
View Quote

It just takes a standard .750 gas block, so any block with .750 diameter will fit.  I went with 16" over 18" since I will be suppressing it and want to keep the weight as close as possible to the gun.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top