Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2014 6:47:35 PM EDT
Does anyone know the exact difference is the difference in weight of the old upper with rails at all four positions vs. the new smooth side upper.  The rest of the rifle should be the same.  

Thanks,

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Theoretically .68 pounds according to their site...9.98 versus 9.3.  They're both damned heavy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Every time I tell myself after holding one that it is too heavy for me to enjoy, I remind myself British troops are using these as their primary weapon.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:14:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Are they all carrying it in certain units, or is it a DMR weapon?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Its a DMR weapon, but the M1 Garand & M14 weigh in pretty close to the LMT.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
According to what information I've found, they only sold them 440ish of them.  Not sure if things just haven't been updated since the first order...still pretty cool to see a modern battle rifle being issued.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive got the slickside.  I carried it this last year hunting and it wasnt bad. Also have a nightforce on it.  Went anywhere from 2-5 miles per stalk.  Get a pair of dumbbells if its too heavy
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive got the slickside.  I carried it this last year hunting and it wasnt bad. Also have a nightforce on it.  Went anywhere from 2-5 miles per stalk.  Get a pair of dumbbells if its too heavy
View Quote

This is pure genius.  What if the gun was lighter, and you were stronger?  Wouldn't that be even better?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I have owned both models and currently have a slick side. As specified the weight differences are negligible and I would say indistinguishable from an analog perspective, but the balance of the slick side feels a lot better to me. I kind of reminds me of the balance of an FAL. I have also owned a Scar 17s which was noticeably lighter but  LMTs are just freaking tanks construction wise and I mean that in the best of ways. I would choose a slick side over a railed version for carry/offhand shooting/ hunting. It's still heavy and a LARUE predatar or tober or KAC/ scar will be lighter and probably better balanced but I am very happy with my LM8. Now, if someone would make screw on rail covers (like centurion or KAC)  and direct mount handstops/ accessories for the LM8 chassis, THAT would be awesome.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#9]
LMT really just needs to keymod or m-lok the upper and call it a day.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:26:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
LMT really just needs to keymod or m-lok the upper and call it a day.  
View Quote

Agreed. That's about the only gripe I have with the LM8 chassis.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have owned both models and currently have a slick side. As specified the weight differences are negligible and I would say indistinguishable from an analog perspective, but the balance of the slick side feels a lot better to me. I kind of reminds me of the balance of an FAL. I have also owned a Scar 17s which was noticeably lighter but  LMTs are just freaking tanks construction wise and I mean that in the best of ways. I would choose a slick side over a railed version for carry/offhand shooting/ hunting. It's still heavy and a LARUE predatar or tober or KAC/ scar will be lighter and probably better balanced but I am very happy with my LM8. Now, if someone would make screw on rail covers (like centurion or KAC)  and direct mount handstops/ accessories for the LM8 chassis, THAT would be awesome.
View Quote

I don't think the KAC is any lighter.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:28:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stand corrected! I had it in my mind for some reason the ECC was lighter. Sorry for the misinformation.  **edit** LMT website says 9.3 lbs for LM8 MWS and KAC website says 9.12 lbs for SR25 ECC, though Hardly a difference one could feel between the two I would imagine.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top