BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:30:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Got the lower assembled, luckily I had a spare complete Ar-180B lower parts set.
Every thing fit fine but I may have to massage the mag catch.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:50:46 AM EDT
[#2]
OMG, I can see it now... a sort of "what if the AR-18 was a modern service rifle".  
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:57:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OMG, I can see it now... a sort of "what if the AR-18 was a modern service rifle".  
View Quote

That's what I want.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:31:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was thinking more like, what is that badass little SBR you keep in that ratty ass jansport backpack everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:50:09 AM EDT
[#5]
hhhhhrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnngggggggggg!
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
hhhhhrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnngggggggggg!
View Quote

I second this.

The idea of this makes me moist.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#7]
wow

wow

wow

wow

I've ALWAYS wanted to get into the platform.

too cool
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
wow

wow

wow

wow

too cool
View Quote

It seems like a lot of people (myself included) have wanted support for the AR-180 platform for a while now.

I really hope this is the start of something bigger.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:12:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Make an AR-180 variant that's low-ish cost that can utilize slide fire style stocks for AR's or AK's and IMHO you could get a nice corner on a niche market.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1641834_Official_Bump_SAW_GD_thread_Bump_Fire_Systems_stock_video_in_OP_.html

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:41:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Steel square tube gets my vote.

Easier to weld a charging handle channel on to the left side and my groovy ejection port cover hinge pin receptacles onto the right side.

The barrel of the B model uses a plain old standard AR15 barrel extension and is pressed into the front trunnion.

Not so sure that aluminum would hold as well.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:45:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It seems like a lot of people (myself included) have wanted support for the AR-180 platform for a while now.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wow

wow

wow

wow

too cool

Without a firm number of committed orders parts, kits, sets, assemblies production runs might not be possible.

I would get in on group buys if they were ever to happen.

ETA If they were ever to happen you could count me in for two of everything.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I am down to buy if you make the uppers for them. I've always wanted a 180, but there's really no point in buying a lower for a rifle when I'll never find an upper. Also, have you considered crowd funding? The 18 series has a cult following that may just have extra money they'd be willing to throw your way. You might also consider selling to Canadians. They love the 180b because of their strict gun laws that exclude it. I'm sure they would appreciate a seller who would be willing to get into talks with some of their importers. Though I don't know if you would need to do any extra work in order to export. I'm just throwing things out there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Easier to weld a charging handle channel on to the left side and my groovy ejection port cover hinge pin receptacles onto the right side.

The barrel of the B model uses a plain old standard AR15 barrel extension and is pressed into the front trunnion.

View Quote

Couldn't they just redesign the upper so that the barrel extension threads into the upper receiver, and uses a barrel nut like on an AR-15?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much what a lot of folks have been asking for...for a while now.....
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
wow

wow

wow

wow

too cool
View Quote

Lost one many years ago to an X wife & her lawyer......always wanted to get another.....this might be even better......
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Finally someone listened.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Just make an ultimax already.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Couldn't they just redesign the upper so that the barrel extension threads into the upper receiver, and uses a barrel nut like on an AR-15?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could but it would require a bunch more different parts that would not interchange with the 180 and 180B and that would kill the interest.

If you do an archive search on the subject of new production AR 180 from now back to 2008 you will find the overwhelming majority of interest goes like this:   new production AR180 must haves , classic upper on a metal lower, chrome lined barrel, uses AR15 FCG and magazines.

eta

Stormwekz already makes a picatinny rail for the 180 series that is sublime in its own right so there is one block checked already.
They also make the dog leg crank handle charging handle for the 180 series so there's another block checked.
They also make an awesome folding stock hinge for the 180 series so there's another block checked  
M.I. makes rail systems for the 180 series so there's another block checked.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:40:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am down to buy if you make the uppers for them. I've always wanted a 180, but there's really no point in buying a lower for a rifle when I'll never find an upper. Also, have you considered crowd funding? The 18 series has a cult following that may just have extra money they'd be willing to throw your way. You might also consider selling to Canadians. They love the 180b because of their strict gun laws that exclude it. I'm sure they would appreciate a seller who would be willing to get into talks with some of their importers. Though I don't know if you would need to do any extra work in order to export. I'm just throwing things out there.
View Quote

Ahhh1st post, welcome to arfcom.

Canadians / Canadiens help me out here.

For import and to not be restricted they would need to be stamped .223 not 5.56 correct ?
The standard 18 inch barrel is good to go too ?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:11:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Pure, unadulterated WIN!!!

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:13:45 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't think the caliber is a factor in deciding whether or not it can be imported. They import Chinese copies of rifles chambered in 7.62 Nato with apparent ease. (Though please, correct me if I'm wrong.) It's mostly how the laws are written on Restricted, Non-Restricted and Prohibited Firearms. As long as you have the appropriate license you can import that firearm after completing the proper paperwork. (Like I said before I don't know if there is any additional paperwork to fill out for the export.) The AR-180B is a much desired rifle in Canada because it is the only AR type variant that doesn't usually cost an arm and a leg and is on the Non-Restricted list. Being Non-Restricted means it does not have to be Registered in any province that is not Quebec, and you can have it while only maintaining a Non-Restricted license which is slightly less of a hassle to obtain and maintain than that of a Restricted and therefore, obviously, a Prohibited License. Restricted firearms also have strict rules as to how when and where you can shoot them. Basically, you can only drive straight to the range and then drive straight back when you're done to remove the firearm from your vehicle. Most 'scary' long guns and all handguns are on this restricted list. There's also some BS about semi autos having 5 round limit, but if the magazine was designed to shoot from a 'pistol' type gun but will also fit in your long gun it can have 10 rounds. So they sell, 10 round 'pistol' magazines to skirt that law. So having an affordable AR type rifle that can shoot any AR mags and is non restricted is something that is wanted amongst gun owners in Canada. If you slap a Maple leaf on the receiver, call it the Canuck special and send it up there they'll go fuckin nuts.
Don't use anything I've just said as legal counsel, do your own research and get a lawyer or something.
Also an 18 inch barrel is good IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 4:38:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You could but it would require a bunch more different parts that would not interchange with the 180 and 180B and that would kill the interest.

If you do an archive search on the subject of new production AR 180 from now back to 2008 you will find the overwhelming majority of interest goes like this:   new production AR180 must haves , classic upper on a metal lower, chrome lined barrel, uses AR15 FCG and magazines.

eta

Stormwekz already makes a picatinny rail for the 180 series that is sublime in its own right so there is one block checked already.
They also make the dog leg crank handle charging handle for the 180 series so there's another block checked.
They also make an awesome folding stock hinge for the 180 series so there's another block checked  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

eta

The classic upper would make sense if the lower was classic as well. It's not. They've already modernized the lower enough that the upper needs modernized as well.

The stormwerkz rail, while being a quality piece, is far from optimal as it utilizes the scope mount, which relies on a spring pressure to keep it in place. A rail that is integrated into the upper would more stable, and durable. Not only that, but it also adds additional height to receiver.

In general, most of the aftermarket parts were an effort to make it more like AR15's. M.I.'s rail for the 180 is good, but it's really the only one on the market. Having more interchangeability with ARs would be more advantageous, as the aftermarket for them is huge.

Interchangeability with the AR180 should be focused on parts of the action, such as the bolt carrier, guide rod assembly, and the piston assembly, as well as anything you can't get away with interchanging with AR15s.

Being able to use AR barrels and hand-guards would be huge.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:15:22 AM EDT
[#24]
The SW scope base is awesome, and I've been using one for years and love it but...

It adds an absurd amount of height.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I say just a simple reproduction of the classic Ar-180.
There are plenty of newer designed rifles out there if someone wants modular like the SCAR.
It is a beautiful rifle in its simplicity, please keep it that way.
Why have so much interchange with the Ar? I don't use Ar parts in my FNC, Valmet, AK, FAL, ......

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#26]
How did I miss this.

Good job NDS!

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There are plenty of newer designed rifles out there if someone wants modular like the SCAR.
Why have so much interchange with the Ar? I don't use Ar parts in my FNC, Valmet, AK, FAL, ......

View Quote

The AR-180 was never really as popular as the FNC, Valmet, AK, FAL, etc.

The aftermarket support for them is much larger than with the AR-180.

Also, the SCAR is overpriced, and very bulky (it also has a polymer receiver...) It doesn't really accomplish anything that the AR-180 doesn't. (ETA : Aside from the quick barrel change)

The SCAR also weighs 7.3 pounds unloaded with a 16" barrel, where-as the AR-180 weighs 6.7 pounds unloaded with an 18" barrel.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd buy either receiver design, but would prefer the extrusion since originals are readily available, and this lower won't appeal to the purist crowd anyhow.
I love the idea of making a modernized SBRd AR180. So light & handy. 300blk would be cool too. I just wish original stocks were available. I never had any problems with the hinge & they are light & comfortable.
The modern folders are all much heavier.

ETA: It would also be cool if it used a FAL-style non-reciprocating lefty charging handle, which was the only thing I never liked about the AR-18.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd buy either receiver design, but would prefer the extrusion since originals are readily available, and this lower won't appeal to the purist crowd anyhow.
I love the idea of making a modernized SBRd AR180. So light & handy. 300blk would be cool too. I just wish original stocks were available. I never had any problems with the hinge & they are light & comfortable.

ETA: It would also be cool if it used a FAL-style non-reciprocating lefty charging handle, which was the only thing I never liked about the AR-18.
View Quote

That's the way I feel about it as well.

That is also something that I would like. Perhaps do a design like the ACR has though, where the charging handle can fold inwards, so that it does not impede the movement of the folding stock. Having it be ambi would also be pretty sweet, but I would be fine with just the left side.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That is also something that I would like. Perhaps do a design like the ACR has though, where the charging handle can fold inwards, so that it does not impede the movement of the folding stock. Having it be ambi would also be pretty sweet, but I would be fine with just the left side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The inch pattern FALs had folding handles, and they are available for metric rifles now, too.

ETA: You could make it an ambi charger by just adding the standard charging handle to it, as long as the upper extrusion had the slot milled for it.
Also, if anyone has links to the specialized parts for these, it'd be much appreciated if you added links in this thread so we could start getting stuff together for builds.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#31]
LOL....
It's "AR-180_" all over again....

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
LOL....

View Quote

Except this one can have all the desirable original features that the B couldn't, and won't have a plastic lower. It's an awesome design. Very accurate & reliable, light, slim & compact. Updating it a bit while retaining everything that made the originals great is something I really like the idea of.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Except this one can have all the desirable original features that the B couldn't, and won't have a plastic lower. It's an awesome design. Very accurate & reliable, light, slim & compact. Updating it a bit while retaining everything that made the originals great is something I really like the idea of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL....

And this, and that, and 1/7 no 1/9 no 1/8 nitraded barrel, no chrome...   Folding side charger, no original dogleg...

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
And this, and that, and 1/7 no 1/9 no 1/8 nitraded barrel, no chrome...   Folding side charger, no original dogleg...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL....

What's wrong with a little modernization, though? All the original good stuff would still be there, with more good stuff added for the modern market. The accuracy & reliability & compact form of the AR18 with AR15 functionality +!
It's just a wishlist from a random internet guy anyhow. NODAK will be the decider, and I'll buy what he makes regardless of which way he goes with it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What's wrong with a little modernization, though? All the original good stuff would still be there, with more good stuff added for the modern market. The accuracy & reliability & compact form of the AR18 with AR15 functionality +!
It's just a wishlist from a random internet guy anyhow. NODAK will be the decider, and I'll buy what he makes regardless of which way he goes with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL....

We have the same desires.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Maybe I'll just go with the early AR-12 direct impingement gas system and make your heads explode.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=633428
View Quote

I'm not entirely familiar with the AR-12. From what I've read, it started off as direct impingement and then was converted to gas piston when ArmaLite sold the rights of the AR-15 to Colt, correct?

I really like the looks of the rifle. Especially with that A1 style fore-end.

It also looks like it's using a barrel nut to secure the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:18:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Maybe I'll just go with the early AR-12 direct impingement gas system and make your heads explode.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=633428
View Quote

That is f'in sweet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:42:56 AM EDT
[#39]
I am so excited right now!

I can't wait to see the end results of all this.

Any plans to produce the lower in an 80% configuration?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:15:49 AM EDT
[#40]
how about whole 180B production guns?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:16:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Do not see it your guys' website.  I definitely would buy it to update my Sterling.  Also, is this going to be a serialized control lower?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:03:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Do not see it your guys' website.  I definitely would buy it to update my Sterling.  Also, is this going to be a serialized control lower?
View Quote

Appropriate username.

Here's the link to the page : http://www.nodakspud.com/NDS-18S.htm

The lower is serialized.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:50:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Early Howa AR-180's (under 1000 S/N) are serialized on the upper receiver, as they started life as an AR-18.
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee479/isplice1/July232006008a.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's really cool, but am I missing something? Are there some AR18 kits out there that I don't know about?
Also, aren't the uppers the receiver on AR180s? So these are just direct mail order?

The lowers are the serialized part of the semi auto AR180 and 180B .

The upper of the AR18 had the nfa parts so that's where the Sn# went on those.

Damn ! beat me to it.

Early Howa AR-180's (under 1000 S/N) are serialized on the upper receiver, as they started life as an AR-18.
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee479/isplice1/July232006008a.jpg

Indeed .

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:15:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Also, the SCAR is overpriced, and very bulky (it also has a polymer receiver...) It doesn't really accomplish anything that the AR-180 doesn't. (ETA : Aside from the quick barrel change)

The SCAR also weighs 7.3 pounds unloaded with a 16" barrel, where-as the AR-180 weighs 6.7 pounds unloaded with an 18" barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back in the days befor FNC and AK the AR 180 rivaled with the AR15 in popularity everything else was a curiosity or novelty more or less..  
Other than a few piss poor wannabees the only source of AR15 anything was Colt....and priced commensurately..
With lots of surplus AR15 mags available that would not fit without modification and the Japanese export glitch the path of the 180 was dictated.

After Sterling ceased production (labor costs) the Mini-14 filled the market void of the 180 and the after market for it took off. By then other AR15 makers had entered the fray and the rest is history.

Numbers wise, IIRC ( and I may not) there were 32,000 180's produced with the vast majority being imported here.

The biggest factor in using AR15parts I.E. FCG mag catch and grip is those parts are cheap and plentiful to the max. 1st gen 180 FCG parts are scarce..
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The inch pattern FALs had folding handles, and they are available for metric rifles now, too.
http://i45.tinypic.com/wvegef.jpg

ETA: You could make it an ambi charger by just adding the standard charging handle to it, as long as the upper extrusion had the slot milled for it.
Also, if anyone has links to the specialized parts for these, it'd be much appreciated if you added links in this thread so we could start getting stuff together for builds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Purists are mostly satisfied with what they already have\, anything not Armalite, Howa or Sterling will not cut it unless it is faithful in every detail.

In previous new 180 threads the majority basically wanted a 180 upper with a chrome lined barrel on a metal lower using AR15 mags and FCG for the obvious reasons. Cool.

The only snow flake part of my C model build will be the charging handle guide for the left side.
Everything else from the picatinny rail to the stock is already available on the open market.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Purists are mostly satisfied with what they already have\, anything not Armalite, Howa or Sterling will not cut it unless it is faithful in every detail.

In previous new 180 threads the majority basically wanted a 180 upper with a chrome lined barrel on a metal lower using AR15 mags and FCG for the obvious reasons. Cool.

The only snow flake part of my C model build will be the charging handle guide for the left side.
Everything else from the picatinny rail to the stock is already available on the open market.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not a melonite barrel?

Again, the aftermarket top rail is less than optimal. Stock options, on the other hand, seem to be fairly good. The Stormwerkz adapters allow for a wide array of stocks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#47]
I respect your opinion but do disagree for the reason; the Stormwekz rails I have are aerospace grade stuff and although not part of designed as part of the original design180 package they look like they could have been. Some will want to retain the use of the original mount interface system for nostalgia and to use existing 180 goodies..

BTW My stormwerkz rail will be bolted on in my C model build.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Why not a melonite barrel?

View Quote

( and arguably good stuff too )

In the old threads one guy wanted quick change barrels and somebody suggested CHF polygonal rifled ! Other people wanted a $450 price point

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
LOL....

View Quote

Get the popcorn going,,,,, I'll bring the beer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I respect your opinion but do disagree for the reason; the Stormwekz rails I have are aerospace grade stuff and although not part of designed as part of the original design180 package they look like they could have been. Some will want to retain the use of the original mount interface system for nostalgia and to use existing 180 goodies..

BTW My stormwerkz rail will be bolted on in my C model build.

View Quote
LOL No...  

The Stormwerkz rails make the best of a bad situation.  There's plenty of first gen and B's to mount existing 180 accessories too, and just owning AR-180 googies is indicative of already owning something to mount them to.

If any new gun comes out that does not have an integral top rail I for one won't touch it.  If I want to mount optics super high I already have the gun for that.

Page / 7
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top