Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2014 8:58:34 PM EDT
Purchased what I think is a great deal on PSA.

$389 with free shipping for a PSA CHF 14.7" 6.8 SPC II 1:11 Mid-length Light Profile - Pinned, w/ BCG & Charging Handle.

Going to buy 10 or so boxes of 115 grain Federal Fusion ammo that PSA has on sale at the moment to get me started. Not much cheap ammo out there.

My question is what magazines do you all recommend? I'd be interested in 5, 10, and 20 round magazines.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a PSA and it's great. You did good. I just use the cheap ASC and Stoner mags and they work fine. The PRI nags are supposedly better but much more $$$
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Purchased what I think is a great deal on PSA.

$389 with free shipping for a PSA CHF 14.7" 6.8 SPC II 1:11 Mid-length Light Profile - Pinned, w/ BCG & Charging Handle.

Going to buy 10 or so boxes of 115 grain Federal Fusion ammo that PSA has on sale at the moment to get me started. Not much cheap ammo out there.

My question is what magazines do you all recommend? I'd be interested in 5, 10, and 20 round magazines.
View Quote

Thanks for the info on the 6.8 rounds, been looking for them on sale for a bit now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:30:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I use C-Products 10 round mags with 6.8 anti tilt followers for hunting.  They are small, fit in my pocket and have never given me problems.  Mine are aluminum.  I also have some of their larger mags which I think are 15 rd mags or something like that.  Those work fine for me too.  My larger full size mags are steel D&H with anti tilt followers and they too have given me no problems. I think they hold 25 rds.  Barrett mags are nice, but too expensive for me since the stuff I have works.

I have not tried any C-Products full size mags.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
CONGRATS on a 6.8 purchase!
CPDs work real well. Backed up by great CS!  I have gen I ASCs too. it will do 2.295 COAL. (I hear the new ASC II will do 2.3+.). PRIs seem to work too, but $$.
Oh, check out some SSA Ammo too. Their mil/tac (SPC II) ammo are pretty speedy.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you will like that upper, I have the same one and it is a shooter using the same fusion that you are getting.

+1 on the ASC mags I picked up four of the gen II's at SHOT this year.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I went ahead and bought 8 boxes of the Federal Fusion that's on sale at PSA. I'm going to save every brass though in case I can one day reload although I doubt it. Gonna pick up a 5 round magazine and a 10 and 15.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:59:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like you did good. Palmetto has some great ammo deals right now and I would buy as much as you can. My PSA 6.8's group pretty well with everything I've shot but they seem to favor the 110 grain Sierra pro hunters from SSA, and hornady 110 VMAX.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 15 round PRI magazine on the way thanks to a very gracious member, and I think I will purchase a 5 and 10 rounder so I can rule out the magazine as a possible malfunctioning part, since PRI has such a good reputation. I am not sure if the bolt carrier is AR15 or M16 but just reading around I may need the lighter AR15 profile for consistent cycling, so I was considering buying that carrier just in case. These are the specs from the PSA website, although I wont know exactly what carrier I have until I receive it.

Barrel: A proprietary blend of Hammer forged chrome molly vanadium made by FN that is referred to as "Machine Gun Steel" by virtue of its use in FN's M249 and M240 weapons. The hammer forging process work hardens the steel, making it more durable. In addition, the chrome process for the bore allows for a lining almost twice as thick as a standard M16 for enhanced durability. Chambered in 6.8 SPCII, with a 1/11 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a Mid-length gas system. Lighter profile barrel has an A2 profile under the handguards and just enough material removed after the FSB. Barrel is Mil-spec phosphate coated, High Pressure tested and Magnetic Particle inspected, and finished off with an F-marked front sight post with sling swivel, standard handguards and a an A2 flash hider. The 14.7" barrel allows for an A2 length flash hider to be permanently pinned to bring the barrel to minimum legal length, instead of more expensive, extra long length flash hiders. The flash hider is pinned and welded.
Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is made to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized black for durability. Featuring machined T marks, and a mil-spec finish. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer.
Bolt Carrier Group: For AR15 and M16 rifles and carbines. Made by a mil-spec contractor, these feature a Carpenter 158 Bolt, and a full profile chrome lined carrier. Bolt is made of shot-peened, Mil-spec Carpenter 158® steel. Gas key is secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked. Bolt carrier is parkerized outside and chrome lined inside
View Quote

Are there any other factors I have to consider in terms of not cycling certain ammos? These are my buffer and spring weights.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Good score if it runs out good.If I didn't have one already I probably would have grabbed one of those stainless, free float versions for 450$.

Throw it together & shoot it. Then watch what the cases look like & where they are dropping.

I am not sure if you will see any swipes with the Fusions.

Same Ol'- Same Ol'
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the same thing.  Finally sighted it in last week using the Fusion rounds, BCM lower.  Failure to feed every time, failure to lock most of the time.  C Product 5-round new mags.  Very discouraging.

However... I might have a heavier buffer and spring in the lower.  Want to try with those changed out.  Hope yours runs better than mine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the same thing.  Finally sighted it in last week using the Fusion rounds, BCM lower.  Failure to feed every time, failure to lock most of the time.  C Product 5-round new mags.  Very discouraging.

However... I might have a heavier buffer and spring in the lower.  Want to try with those changed out.  Hope yours runs better than mine.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up. Is your buffer and spring the same weight as mine?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I just bought the same upper too ,
although I am interested to know if the
upper has a logo'd and MPI/HPT bolt.
Also, which buffer works reliably for the midlength
barrel?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the same upper on order.  I will be honest, I am going to start at standard carbine weight buffer and go from there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I believe what I have is a carbine buffer that came with my PSA build kit. What would be the next buffer to try should I experience issues?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#15]
What do you mean by failing to lock back?  Is the rifle otherwise functioning fine?  I have used that setup with rifle stock sets, carbine buffers and H buffers with no problems.  My BCGs are all full profile.  Some PSA, some others.  The only thing I can think is that the rifle might actually be under gassed with less dwell time but that would call for a lighter buffer.  Maybe there is something else going on.

Maybe I misunderstood.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:45:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like a sprinco blue and H3 buffer.

Next chance I plan to try a different mag, then buffer, then spring and see if I can sort it out.

Won't lock back ... the BCG wont stay open on the last shot.  However it also won't feed "the next round" off the mag, leading me to suspect that the BCG isn't fully moving rearward with each shot.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I also read sometimes using an AR15 bolt carrier versus the M16 carrier can solve the problem. I have one here just in case my rifle is shipped with an M16 carrier. Only time will tell.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:48:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a 16" and 14.7" PSA and they both run great with standard carbine buffers
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Are the 6.8 PMAGS any good?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where have you seen 6.8 PMAGS?  On the Magpul site there are 5.56 and 7.62 mags.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Where have you seen 6.8 PMAGS?  On the Magpul site there are 5.56 and 7.62 mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never mind.....they only work in LWRC rifles I guess.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Dang I missed out on this deal
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Deal should still be up!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I also read sometimes using an AR15 bolt carrier versus the M16 carrier can solve the problem. I have one here just in case my rifle is shipped with an M16 carrier. Only time will tell.
View Quote

So have you actually fired this upper yet or are you preparing yourself in case of difficulties?

PSA "Full Profile Carrier" = M16 style.
Your buffer is a std carbine buffer.

C-Product mags are a crap shoot!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So have you actually fired this upper yet or are you preparing yourself in case of difficulties?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will message you on the other site. I forgot you owned one of these demons before.

I am preparing for impending doom...
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Oh it probably will run like a swiss watch.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Next chance I plan to try a different mag, then buffer, then spring and see if I can sort it out.

Won't lock back ... the BCG wont stay open on the last shot.  However it also won't feed "the next round" off the mag, leading me to suspect that the BCG isn't fully moving rearward with each shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditch the H3 buffer. An H buffer should solve all of your issues. The H3 is too heavy, there isn't enough gas to cycle the action.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go to LWRCI.com and you will find 6.8 pmags for sale. Go to the "Six8" category but they will only work with the elongsted magwell design of the Six8 platform.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Deal should still be up!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Deal should still be up!

I could not find it anywhere!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I use PRI mags. They work great for me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Deal should still be up!

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/nra-show-sale/uppers/psa-14-7-chf-6-8-mid-lightweight-premium-upper-with-bcg-charging-handle.html

There you go, free shipping till midnight.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top