Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2014 4:32:33 PM EDT
I had my Gen 1 Recon 308 malfunction for the first time today, three times in a row on the same magazine.  I would say it has 200 to 300 rounds through it prior to today.  I was attempting a rapid fire string just to test my ability to control the recoil of the gun.  I believe the first time it jammed there was a round in the chamber, but I couldn't fire the weapon or activate the safety.  The second two times the bolt was ahead, but no round in the chamber.  I was able to cycle the charging handle and keep going on the second two.  On the first I had to struggle a bit to get the round ejected (which it has a tendency to not like to release on a live round that is chambered without a strong yank no the charging handle).  One possible suspect:  I'm using Tula steel case 308.  I bought 500 rounds of it and I don't think I will buy it again after this.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/SkeldZ06/Facebook/IMG_20140408_211356_zps347ef2d2.jpg
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Occam's Razor likely applies here.  The simplest explanation is usually the correct explanation.  Tula is oft regarded as weak...and no one speaks highly of their quality, either.  Mind you they usually don't dogbreath it but no one is out singing it's praises from the mountain tops.

I agree that it was most likely an ammo related issue since you haven't had problems before.  Clean your weapon well ( particularly the chamber ) and start over with a "known quality" ammo.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]
You're probably right.  Tried it by sacrificing my only other ammo on hand (Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain) and it ran well.

Rapid Fire
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:22:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Once I get rid of the Tula I'll switch to something that will run it better...

Also I'd like to add it has run the Tula fine previously.  It's only a problem when trying to run it like in the video I linked above, which I don't normally do.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top