Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2014 3:55:18 PM EDT
a while back I got rid of my cetme to fund my ar 5.56 build and now I'm missing the firepower so I'm wanting to build an ar platform 308 after I get done with my 5.56,  I was looking at getting a dpms in the 900$ range but I figured I could build one of better quality for the same money or build one of the same quality for less.... I'm just wanting a basic ar 308 nothing fancy yet being I'm on a budget and the wife will raise hell and highwater if I go spending a god awful amount on a gun. but I just want it for playing at the range and maybe to use for deer and hog hunting... and I figured I can do upgrades here and there when affordable... a while back I remember seeing build kits for around $600 but I've also heard bad things about using build kits... I don't even know where to start with building a 308 cal ar.... I was kinda thinking about getting one of the century arms ak style 308s but I figured an ar 308 would be more accurate and easier to get mags for... plus the beauty of building your own is you can buy a part here and there with every paycheck...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I've ever seen, using similar quality parts, you can't put a .308 together for as much as a complete one will run you, of course that assumes you can find one that is even close to the configuration you want to end up with.

The "non-standard" 308 platform appears to be the problem...parts are just not cheap.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#2]
you could do some sort of mega maten build or perhaps just grab a complete m&p10?

base model armalite ar10's are pretty cheap too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey cman I'm in the same boat as you. Everything I'm seeing right now thought for a dpms stripped lower is running $220+. I'm expecting to spend at least double on my 308 build as I did on my 15 build.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm waiting for palmetto state armory to release theirs. I won't be able to afford one til then.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#5]
how good is the palmetto state stuff?? I've noticed their stuff seems to be too cheap to be good so to speak with their 15 platform stuff, I mean how good can a $150 complete lower be?? I have over $300 in mine and it really aint nothing too fancy... spikes lower, Anderson lpk, mil spec buffer tube, heavy buffer, knockoff str stock...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:55:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Way over budget

GunBroker Upper / Lower combo

Plus

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#7]
When psa releases theirs I'm sure that it will immediately go into indefinite back order. Their prices are are great on some stuff but not everything. What the reduced prices on receivers gets you is a less refined finish. It's still not substandard so I don't mind. If you think building this pattern of rifle is pricey, try the m14 pattern!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I actually had the same vision as you to do a 308 budget build, as I start buying parts I was way over my budget and I wasn't even half way into the build..I am doing a 308 take down rifle that will fit in a small back pack. When all the parts arrive I will make a thread on the set up.....
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It makes me wonder: Why DO companies charge so much for .308 stuff? Sure - it's always going to be more expensive, but they would do better to bring prices down and enable a whole bunch of new customers to buy more volume instead of keeping low volume at higher prices.
View Quote

I would agree, same materials, machining time, similar overall design...

To the OP, I would opt for the new DPMS GII in your favorite style/config...and it's pretty light weight to boot.

It is going to cost you more to build it out, unless you have a FFL and can get dealer pricing...

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I recently had the same intentions...I am now 1/2 way into a 6.8 build with a projected budget of around $500 less (not including glass) than the .308.  I couldn't merit the expense.

I still deeply want to build a .308 but the price and the lack of available parts made it appear to be a slower process than I would like.  With the best prices I was looking around 13-1400 before glass.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#14]
i tried to do a budget build myself rather than opting for a dpms g2 or rra lar8 because i knew i would upgrade parts anyway....its all built up but im already about $400 over budget and dont even have glass or a nice trigger yet oh and a bipod....good things is...its exactly the way i want it lol
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I actually had the same vision as you to do a 308 budget build, as I start buying parts I was way over my budget and I wasn't even half way into the build..I am doing a 308 take down rifle that will fit in a small back pack. When all the parts arrive I will make a thread on the set up.....
View Quote

All money driven, which isnt bad, just not the smartest business plan. The G2 is exactly what i want but the lack of handguard choices is what keeps me from taking the plunge, plus lack of extra parts.

OP, as much as i wanna just shut up and buy parts for myself, ill tell u that brownells has Detroit upper and lowers for about 380 a set. I wanted to order a set but i still havent finished my maten build. That set combined with the 190 aim nib bcg and you are probably less than 1k for a 308 when its all said and done.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I have shot a buddy's S&W .308 AR.   It is an 18' heavy barrel dream.  it might be a fire breathing dragon at night, but it is a sweet shooting gun during the day.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#17]
DPMS is currently offering a $50 rebate on  many model.
DPMS Promotions
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#18]
earlier I saw an ad in shotgun news that had ar10 kits for $519-$599 both for dpms lowers and for armalite lowers
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Regarding the PSA kits. I have a PSA carbine uper siting on an 80% lower with a PSA LPK and buffer kit in it. I have about 700 rounds down range so for and shoot everything. Steel case and bimetal jacketed tula and wolf to al the comercial brass. 55gr and 62gr. I have not gotten around to the 75gr match ammo yet because I consider that precision ammo and the rifle is not intoended to be that. I will likely build my daughter a match grade riflle later and have a healthy stock of match ammo if I do. My wifes rifle is waiting for her to put it together after we return from vacation in a couple weeks. It is a full on PSA M4gery rifle kit to be mated with an 80% lower. I have fired the upper on my lower to op check and zero it. No problems with 100 rounds of tula and federal.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#20]
If you are looking for a budget build for deer and hogs, take a look at building an upper in 6.8. If will be a lot cheaper and perfect for deer and hogs.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 11:39:19 PM EDT
[#21]
.308s are spendy to build, and I have as much in mine as a good factory rifle, but oh well

I am helping my buddy put a sweet one together now, and he just scored a MaTen receiver set from AIM for $550, I am jealous!  

As mentioned above, I wonder why they cost so much, and it is obviously the demand.

I need to resist pickup up that Mega receiver set...

If I had to do it all over again, I would just pick up a LMT MWSE It is one of the few complete rifles that I likely would love, and not change anything.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you are looking for a budget build for deer and hogs, take a look at building an upper in 6.8. If will be a lot cheaper and perfect for deer and hogs.
View Quote

I thought about it, but like I said I had a cetme and I really miss the firepower, plus I have a good bit of surplus 308 ammo, and reloading supplies already for the 308 and a good bit of the 150 fmj projectiles and I'm already set up to load for the 308 and have a good bit invested and have a lot more mil surplus ammo and all than what i'll ever shoot in my bolt gun which I shoot more match and precision ammo out of it at the range so I wanna do a semi auto 308. I'm thinking a 16" barrel, lightweight easy to carry in the woods and swamps around here, something lighter than my heavy barrel bolt gun, which I mostly use for sitting in a stand walk to and from the stand the ar I would do more of a walk, and stalk type hunting. especially for hog easier to ease thru the swamp and thick brush with. I found the build kits in the $550 range and all it needs is a lower and i'll probably do some upgrades to the buffer and handguard and they come either for a armalite type lower or dpms type lower, heres my question on the lower, which one would be more economical as far as lower priced and easier to find mags??  because I know some 308 stuff the mags are higher than a giraffe's butt...  one thing I did like about my cetme was you could get mags for $3-$5 for them....
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I thought about it, but like I said I had a cetme and I really miss the firepower, plus I have a good bit of surplus 308 ammo, and reloading supplies already for the 308 and a good bit of the 150 fmj projectiles and I'm already set up to load for the 308 and have a good bit invested and have a lot more mil surplus ammo and all than what i'll ever shoot in my bolt gun which I shoot more match and precision ammo out of it at the range so I wanna do a semi auto 308. I'm thinking a 16" barrel, lightweight easy to carry in the woods and swamps around here, something lighter than my heavy barrel bolt gun, which I mostly use for sitting in a stand walk to and from the stand the ar I would do more of a walk, and stalk type hunting. especially for hog easier to ease thru the swamp and thick brush with. I found the build kits in the $550 range and all it needs is a lower and i'll probably do some upgrades to the buffer and handguard and they come either for a armalite type lower or dpms type lower, heres my question on the lower, which one would be more economical as far as lower priced and easier to find mags??  because I know some 308 stuff the mags are higher than a giraffe's butt...  one thing I did like about my cetme was you could get mags for $3-$5 for them....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep an eye out at Aero Precision. They are about to release a 308 receiver set right at $300 for the set. I have used their receivers on 2 builds and the quality is excellent.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top