Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2014 7:40:11 AM EDT
New guy, first post

I've been wanting something in the 7.62x39 platform and saw a video on Youtube in which a guy built an AR15 in that caliber using an Aero Precision lower and a Model 1 Sales upper (complete kit)
I have ordered the lower, but have not yet bought the upper. Just wondered if there is a consensus of opinion on the build quality on the Model 1 kit?

Next question

I've been reading here about different mags for the AR15 x39 and wondered if the AK47 mag will actually fit in the AR15 well?
I did not see anyone discuss that. Might have just not found it.

I'd really be interested if anyone makes a 20 round mag for the AR15 x39. Seems like anything above that might get a bit heavy
I have a FAL with 20s and I like them.

Thanks for the help y'all have already been.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I've ordered from them many times.  No problem.

As far as quality...... the two top performing rifles I have both have Model 1 uppers on them.  I'm talking 1,000s of rounds through each.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Shit trigger. Replaced it with a JP ez trigger group.

Decent quality on everything else.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
New guy, first post

I've been wanting something in the 7.62x39 platform and saw a video on Youtube in which a guy built an AR15 in that caliber using an Aero Precision lower and a Model 1 Sales upper (complete kit)
I have ordered the lower, but have not yet bought the upper. Just wondered if there is a consensus of opinion on the build quality on the Model 1 kit?

Next question

I've been reading here about different mags for the AR15 x39 and wondered if the AK47 mag will actually fit in the AR15 well?
I did not see anyone discuss that. Might have just not found it.

I'd really be interested if anyone makes a 20 round mag for the AR15 x39. Seems like anything above that might get a bit heavy
I have a FAL with 20s and I like them.

Thanks for the help y'all have already been.
View Quote

My experience w/ them was a canted gas block and an absolutely crappy LPK.   I've heard of a lot of people w/ problems w/ their bolts.    They're not high on my list of places to buy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Please excuse my ignorance.

LPK ?

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My experience w/ them was a canted gas block and an absolutely crappy LPK.   I've heard of a lot of people w/ problems w/ their bolts.    They're not high on my list of places to buy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Pay attention to their shipping costs.
I ordered a firing pin and shipping costs were added later.
Shipping for a firing pin was $7.50.  A tad high.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I purchased a 24" Varmint Bull complete upper with BCG and charging handle from Model 1 Sales. It fired thousands of shots great with no issue! Shipping was fast and priced respectively for such a large package. Would definitely buy from again.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 2 m1s enhanced firing pins for my 7.62x39 upper and I have a rubber city armory bolt and a m1s bolt.  I haven't fired the m1s bolt yet but the firing pins work great and solved my ftf issue.  The bolt looks solid and is comparable to the rca bolt.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Model 1 Sales and "Quality" are mutually exclusive words in the same sentence in my experience, but they are an economy option if you want to say you have something that looks like an AR15.

You can get them to work well, and some are hit, while others are miss. If plinking is all that you might do a few times a year, they are an option.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Model 1 Sales and "Quality" are mutually exclusive words in the same sentence in my experience, but they are an economy option if you want to say you have something that looks like an AR15.

You can get them to work well, and some are hit, while others are miss. If plinking is all that you might do a few times a year, they are an option.
View Quote

What would be your "best" then in your opinion?

Maybe a list of good to bad.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive been in a place for a while where I have a hard time trusting many manufactures to get it right.  Because of all the things I do when working on my own projects, the components I select, and the build procedures, I know what there is to be done for reliability and accuracy, so why would I leave that up to someone on an assembly line?  That's just my perspective after working with AR15's/M16's/M4's since 1988.

There is too much variance in quality and assembly methods across almost all of the manufacturers, so a best-to-worst list would have to be by lot or even serial number, not the brand name Joe Blow sees engraved on a lower or barrel fore end.

If we're talking about parts kits in the price range of Model 1 Sales, I will steer you to J&T Distributing/Double Star.  They actually have components and products that are priced lower than value, in my experience.  The LPK's I've seen from them lately have all had proof marks and inspection codes on the MIM'd pieces like the hammer, trigger, bolt catch, and selector, and the fit and finish of those components is of a high quality.

I'm pretty picky about what kind of bolt, bolt carrier, carrier key, and barrel I will use. Same for receivers, but I'm looking more at upper-to-lower fit, 7000 series alloy, proper anodizing, dry film coating inside the BCG raceway, and a square face on the upper.

Name a component and I have a list of things I look for.  Some of the most important things are materials sourcing on critical components like the barrel, barrel extension, and bolt, as well as the processes used to make them.  Gas port diameter is a big one on barrels, combined with gas system length.  Trouble-shooting the gas system and operating system involves a lot of little details that are just flat over-looked by most gun show grade parts kits suppliers.  Think about how many people have jumped into the AR15 parts market, even dating back to the 1980's, who don't know a thing about the system other than it sells and they want to make money.

I've literally talked with scores of new AR15 manufacturers who had never heard about basically every aspect of the gun I asked them about, especially some of the critical components and assembly methods, materials selection, and dimensions.  They basically purchase or machine one or two components of the guns, outsource the rest, slap them together, and throw a cool-sounding name on them that implies quality or precision, while most of the critical parts are not inspected and QC'd before going into their guns.

I've always been happy with Alexander Arms, Precision Firearms, BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense, GA Precision, Knight's, JP Enterprises, Noveske, Seekins Precision, and J&T for economical parts kits.  I haven't purchased an AR15 off the shelf since 1997/98, if that tells you anything, and I've been on a steady panic-buy, controlled paranoia purchasing posture since before the Clinton AWB of 1994.  I don't own any flat screen TV's, rims for my cars, or video game consoles.

Almost every bad AR15 company you've heard of, I've had experiences with over the years, although I have managed to avoid probably the worst offender of all: Hesse/Vulcan. I think I would own a Chinese copy of the M4 before I pulled the trigger on a Hesse.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I too own a 24 inch bull barrel Mod 1 sales mounted on an Essential Arms lower and I've owned the combo for about  3 years. The lower has a Geissele SSA-E trigger installed and I further modded it by installing the "yellow" JP spring kit which lightened up the pull even more.

With factory HSM ammo (55 grain Sierra Blitzking) and my reload of the same bullet with 24.5 grains of 4895 consistently shoots HALF  moa at 100 yards with many groups in the .300's range.

Never jammed, FTF, or FTE and almost boringly accurate with my reload being so good there's no sense in trying to make it better which takes away some of the "fun" of working up the loads!   ;-)
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Model 1 Sales and "Quality" are mutually exclusive words in the same sentence in my experience
View Quote

^This. I ordered one kit from M1S. More parts  from that kit have broken/worn/caused problems than all 4 of the other AR's I've had, and they all have more rounds than that M1S.

If it's the only place you can find one in 7.62x39, then order the barrel, bolt, and mags from them and assemble the rest from PSA. It'll be cheaper and better.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an 11 1/2" Model 1 Sales upper in 7.62x39.  655 rounds fired through it so far.  1 failure to fire at about round #435.  No failures to chamber or eject.  It came with their enhanced 7.62x39 firing pin.  I use C Products mags.  Based upon my experience, I'd buy another of their 7.62x39 uppers.  Wish it came with a chrome lined bore, but then it's just a range toy.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top