Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2014 11:37:13 PM EDT
Seeing alot of new 308's on the market and im wondering how the new ones compare to the old. Say a pof which i see at buds for 2k to the sig and m&p which i can get online or at walmart for 1700$ or less and the cmmg which psa has reasonably priced. I see the pof and the m&p both have a 5r barrel which should put them ahead in the accuracy department. What is everyones thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked up an M&P 10 for $1099 at Quantico Tactical (LEO/MIL discount).  It's also part of S&W's rebate program, which effectively knocked the price down to $999.

Haven't gotten it to the range yet, but it feels good, and seems like a quality rifle.  From the factory it's about 7.5 lbs unloaded which is a bit lighter than most .308 ARs.  With a 4-16 variable scope and a loaded mag mine weighs in at 11 lbs 3 oz.

From the online reviews that I've seen it should be pretty accurate.

Can't wait to get it to the range.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the Smith just because it's a good 2 lbs. lighter than the other two.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:10:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a POF .308.  I haven't shot it much, but so far so good.  It is heavy and has high rails though...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#4]
picked up Gen 3 POF in 308.  have not had a chance at long range.. but at 50 yards it's fine.  I do not like the triggers, so i swapped it for geiselle 3 gun.it's not light, but you want 308 to be sturdy...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been wanting one myself and after researching it forever my money is going to the M&P10....whenever I actually have the money, which won't be soon me thinks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a new (not the NEWEST they just came out with though as they weren't yet available) POF .308 about two and a half months ago.  The 14.5" with the NP3 coatings.  I'm LOVING it.  I had also been evaluating the Sig 716 and the new Colt that you can switch between 5.56 and 7.62.  The Sig felt about as heavy to me as the POF and was much longer as most of the .308's I saw in person.  And yes, you can find posts of issues with just about any rifle you research on the internet.  I found some on the Colt, the Sig and the POF though the POF's negatives were almost all about customer service and ranging from a few years ago when they had some issues with a partner/supplier.

What finally decided me was the overall length of the POF, the NP3 coating and the sub-MOA guarantee.  I'm not a "gun expert" either and have just gotten into shooting over the past year or so.  But on the accuracy department I can say I'm more accurate with the POF than I am with my 5.56 Tavor.  I figure if I MYSELF can put a .5 inch grouping together out of three shots, then it's definitely the rifle, because as I said, I haven't been shooting for 20 years or anything like that.  SUPER easy to clean too.  Much easier than my AR-15's due to that coating.  I'm loving it.  People standing next to me at the range don't love it so much because the blast from that muzzle brake and the noise definitely make it's presence felt.  People are always coming to check it out once I start shooting.  But the recoil is nice and as I said, seems like a great gun.  Got it for a pretty good deal too, not the usual close to $3k that you see in a lot of places.

That being said, I think you'd be just fine with one of the others too.  They're all good guns.  I'd recommend you see them in person if at all possible and just see which one feels best to you when you pick it up.  I don't think you'll be making a mistake whichever way you go.  I can only speak to the POF being what seems to be a very nice, good and reliable gun.  Oh one more thing.  I've tried a BUNCH of different ammos and weights of bullets and have not yet had even ONE issue.  It shoots EVERYTHING so far.  Just added a nice Nikon BDC scope to it and I'm very happy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Does the M&P have a stainless steel barrel or is it chrome lined?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:26:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

5r not sure on the stainless or chrome
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently it is neither as it is nitrided.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#10]
POF makes a nice rifle, but I personally had some issues with heir customer service.  Overall though I still really like their products.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top