BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Now that is has been in the wild for a few days how is the accuracy?  I know the gunblast video said approx 1" at 100yd but curious what others are seeing.  ESPECIALLY interested in how it handles cheaper 147-150gr stuff (PMC-Federal-PRIVI etc.).  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The longer buffer tube is normal on Armalite / KAC patterned guns. KAC, LMT , LaRue, Armalite all run that now. I bet the buffer is an H3. The upper and lower are from Matrix Aerospace . They make the 556 uppers and lowers for Ruger and the rails for them and Troy. I am interested to see what barrel nut thread they used, DPMS or Armalite. I think that gun would look great with KAC URX 3.1
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The longer buffer tube is normal on Armalite / KAC patterned guns. KAC, LMT , LaRue, Armalite all run that now. I bet the buffer is an H3. The upper and lower are from Matrix Aerospace . They make the 556 uppers and lowers for Ruger and the rails for them and Troy. I am interested to see what barrel nut thread they used, DPMS or Armalite. I think that gun would look great with KAC URX 3.1
View Quote

The buffer weighs 3.0 ounces.  Once I'm more familiar with the gun and decide which ammo it likes best, etc I'll play with buffers and see what happens.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
...upper and lower are from Matrix Aerospace...
View Quote

Thanks for the info on the receivers.

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#5]
3.0oz? That is pretty light, but then it is a piston gun and not DI.  I wonder what buffer weights POF uses.
Plus the return spring is also a variable.  I know the KAC spring are different from the LMT and also the armalite.

Congrats on the gun its a good looking toy!
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Another good thing about that lower is you can run uppers from Armalite, KAC , LMT  and LaRue on it also.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:08:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Kult,

Do you have any experience with Matrix? I ask because it might be interesting to contact them about making a keymod forend for those of us who own Ruger piston guns.  I'm also curious about the interchangeability of these new forends with the original Troy rails that were attached with the big roll pin instead of the two screws.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:32:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's a picture I found on the Matrix Aerospace website.  Note that you can actually see the "Ruger" emblems on some of the parts.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The barrel is CHF 4145CMV chrome lined chamber and bore.

Out of curiosity, are the upper and lower receivers 6061 or 7075?

View Quote

Forged & machined 7075.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I spoke to them about stocking their receiver sets for my friends shop. I wouldn't bother since they are contracted by Ruger to make the stuff and the sales person I spoke to was of no help.  They couldn't tell me the basics like what style barrel nut or if the upper was high or low rail. Best thing to do take do some measurements and take the barrel nut off and check every thing to see what will fit. If it's a DPMS high rail (KAC style) with DPMS threads then any Keymod rail that fits that upper type should work assuming there is enough room to clear the piston op rod , and if the barrel nut was different then it could be swapped or modified one made. I would try Ruger tech support first before the OEM.

I know this sounds weird, but every time I get a new gun that has some variation on a platform, I strip it down and sort out what is different.

Quoted:
Kult,

Do you have any experience with Matrix? I ask because it might be interesting to contact them about making a keymod forend for those of us who own Ruger piston guns.  I'm also curious about the interchangeability of these new forends with the original Troy rails that were attached with the big roll pin instead of the two screws.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to assume that, right off the bat, no other rail out there will work on the SR-762.  The rail/handguard used on the SR-556 is propriety to Ruger (it fits around their gas block and also contains the piston transfer rod) and there aren't any options for the 5.56.  I will bet dollars to doughnuts that the SR-762 is the same deal.  

With that said, it might be possible to find something that's got enough room underneath the top rail to contain the transfer rod and the spring that could be modified to work but the forend probably wouldn't be the proper length.  The gas port location on the SR-556 is unique and I'm guessing the gas port location on the SR-762 is no different.

Honestly, there are enough of these rifles (SR-556's anyway) out there that I'm surprised nobody is looking at making aftermarket rails, custom gas regulators, etc.  

Quoted:
I spoke to them about stocking their receiver sets for my friends shop. I wouldn't bother since they are contracted by Ruger to make the stuff and the sales person I spoke to was of no help.  They couldn't tell me the basics like what style barrel nut or if the upper was high or low rail. Best thing to do take do some measurements and take the barrel nut off and check every thing to see what will fit. If it's a DPMS high rail (KAC style) with DPMS threads then any Keymod rail that fits that upper type should work assuming there is enough room to clear the piston op rod , and if the barrel nut was different then it could be swapped or modified one made. I would try Ruger tech support first before the OEM.

I know this sounds weird, but every time I get a new gun that has some variation on a platform, I strip it down and sort out what is different.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Kult,

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#12]
It is hard to know unless someone takes the gun apart.  I know what the diameter of the gas tube port is in the upper for DI guns, but it is probably different a piston gun.

Quoted:
I'm going to assume that, right off the bat, no other rail out there will work on the SR-762.  The rail/handguard used on the SR-556 is propriety to Ruger (it fits around their gas block and also contains the piston transfer rod) and there aren't any options for the 5.56.  I will bet dollars to doughnuts that the SR-762 is the same deal.  

With that said, it might be possible to find something that's got enough room underneath the top rail to contain the transfer rod and the spring that could be modified to work but the forend probably wouldn't be the proper length.  The gas port location on the SR-556 is unique and I'm guessing the gas port location on the SR-762 is no different.

Honestly, there are enough of these rifles (SR-556's anyway) out there that I'm surprised nobody is looking at making aftermarket rails, custom gas regulators, etc.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kult,

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Interesting they followed the Original Armalite AR-10 Pattern for their version with the added benefit of a Piston system....HHHMMM.
View Quote

Piston engines are meant to stay under the hood.  

Does anyone know why Ruger uses this bus engine sized gas block?

I think the best op-rod system gas block I have seen is the LMT version, which I couldn't detect from a forward weight standpoint. Ruger should have gone DI on this one. The rest of the gun looks great, however.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I think the gun would work great as a SBR with the piston setup. It can always be setup to run DI by swapping the upper if the piston system is not to ones liking for precision work.

Quoted:

I think the best op-rod system gas block I have seen is the LMT version, which I couldn't detect from a forward weight standpoint. Ruger should have gone DI on this one. The rest of the gun looks great, however.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting they followed the Original Armalite AR-10 Pattern for their version with the added benefit of a Piston system....HHHMMM.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing a Ruger DI gun, I think this was a smart marketing move on the company's part.  They've entered into a rather saturated market by offering consumers something that's different from the run-of-the-mill AR in 308.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Melvin, thanks for the pics and videos!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:45:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Happy to do it.  Let me know if you've got any questions or if there's anything specific you want pictures of.  The same goes for anyone else out there reading this thread.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:49:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Firing pin tip diameter?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:03:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Happy to do it.  Let me know if you've got any questions or if there's anything specific you want pictures of.  The same goes for anyone else out there reading this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How's it shooting? How accurate and is it eating everything you feed it?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nice!  I'd never considered a AR-10 before.  Now it just got serious.
View Quote

I agree!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I like the ability to change gas settings while using a suppressor. I wonder how well it would group with a suppressor attached and the gas setting on single shot?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Where did you get the gun only a week or so after it was announced by Ruger?

Normally, they announce new guns just before they start shipping, so I was expecting it to be at least 4-6 weeks before any of these hit shelves, and even then, they will probably be scarce for a while.
View Quote

There are over a dozen of these rifles right now on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I like the ability to change gas settings while using a suppressor. I wonder how well it would group with a suppressor attached and the gas setting on single shot?
View Quote

Accuracy is something I really want to play with but it'll have to wait awhile.  I don't have a very good stash of good quality match ammo and, even if I did, I've got an AImpoint on the gun so it would be a waste.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Normally, they announce new guns just before they start shipping, so I was expecting it to be at least 4-6 weeks before any of these hit shelves, and even then, they will probably be scarce for a while.
View Quote

Router has been shipping guns ahead of the announcements so that they are actuall in stock when the news hits

Pretty nice and I wish others would follow suit
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Firing pin tip diameter?
View Quote

.078"
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Kult,

View Quote

DUDE THIS.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

.078"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Firing pin tip diameter?

.078"

Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:57:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thank you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Firing pin tip diameter?

.078"

Thank you.

Is there a significance to the firing pin?  How many variations of the 308 firing pin are out there?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Is there a significance to the firing pin?  How many variations of the 308 firing pin are out there?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Firing pin tip diameter?

.078"

Thank you.

The Armalite is tapered with none of the Ruger's step-down shoulders and has a captured tension spring.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Is there any dimensional difference in the ArmaLite vs the DPMS firing pins?  Can one be used in the other?  What about bolts, extractors, etc?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been giving my intended use some thought and I think I'll set this gun up as more of a heavy patrol rifle as opposed to a DMR type. The idea is to keep weight to a minimum so I will not be adding any sort of bipod, etc.

I will keep the factory Ruger stock and recoil parts and may or may not replace a few small parts like the BUIS to save an ounce or two. Along these lines, I'll leave the Aimpoint in place and add a 3x detachable magnifier for those rare times the rifle gets used beyond 200 yards. If the idea proves to have merit I'll probably replace the Aimpoint PRO with a T-1 to shave off a few more ounces.

As pictured above with no sling, the Aimpoint and a full mag the gun is 10.8 pounds.

I'll update a bit more once I have the magnifier mounted and a sling attached.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Is there any dimensional difference in the ArmaLite vs the DPMS firing pins?  Can one be used in the other?  What about bolts, extractors, etc?
View Quote

The Armalite has a smaller diameter (.062", IIRC) and handles pressure better than the larger pins.

I actually bored out and bushed my JP bolt so I could put a smaller, more closely fit pin in it. Made my primer flow issues disappear.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#36]
How is the trigger pull, any idea of weight?  
Round count and any malfunctions?

Thanks for all the great info btw!

Edit, just realized your in AZ too,  what town you live in?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Although the gas blocks and forends certainly appear to be the same and they are the same length, they are not identical. The SR-762 is slightly taller than that of the SR-556.

The SR-762's gas block measures 1.832" tall while the SR-556 measures 1.721.  Both blocks were measured from the bottom of the block to the area just behind the gas regulator seat.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#38]
GREAT INFO. THANKS FOR SHARING. EXCUSE the CAPS........My Bad.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:04:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The Armalite has a smaller diameter (.062", IIRC) and handles pressure better than the larger pins.

I actually bored out and bushed my JP bolt so I could put a smaller, more closely fit pin in it. Made my primer flow issues disappear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does KAC use in their 308 rifles?

Are the bolts themselves different? If a person wanted the smaller diameter firing pin could he replace the bolt and firing pin with an ArmaLite or is the distance from the bolt face to the firing pin retainer different?

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:43:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Are the bolts themselves different? If a person wanted the smaller diameter firing pin could he replace the bolt and firing pin with an ArmaLite or is the distance from the bolt face to the firing pin retainer different?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the only rifle cross-compatible with an Armalite BCG is LaRue.
I haven't tried that, swapping bolts, but I don't think it would work.

The big guns are creatures unto themselves, for the most part… some parts interchange, but most of the critical ones do not.

ETA: JP makes a "high pressure" bolt that has a smaller firing pin hole, too, along with a redesigned ejector. I haven't seen one of those, either, or know if they would fit an SR rifle.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
While I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing a Ruger DI gun, I think this was a smart marketing move on the company's part.  They've entered into a rather saturated market by offering consumers something that's different from the run-of-the-mill AR in 308.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps, but a Ruger-backed DI 308 AR using P-mags?  I would be a little more poor right now.

Regardless, thank you for all the info so far.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#42]
just missed one of these fuckers today

I've got a YHM Ti that needs a home, this seems like a match made in heaven
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Not my photo but I like it.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

DVntDom, please send me a check for new computer monitor, as you have made mine coffee covered, stained, and unusable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read something about this 16.12" barrel only dropping the fps of rounds by barely over 70 when compared to a 24" barrel .308

I read that there are lizard like aliens living among us.

DVntDom, please send me a check for new computer monitor, as you have made mine coffee covered, stained, and unusable.

Yes, and "greys" also! They live...
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ruger has been really good about this the past couple of years... When they make an announcement, you can literally go on-line and buy one right then and there.  It's probably the best marketing and product release integration on the market right now.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:10:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Ruger has been really good about this the past couple of years... When they make an announcement, you can literally go on-line and buy one right then and there. It's probably the best marketing and product release integration on the market right now.
View Quote

That's a nice change. For many years Ruger was pretty much the tease leader in announcing new firearms.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:35:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Let's not forget the recent debacle with the Magpul Masada/Bushmaster ACR. That gun was paraded before our eyes as the ultimate defensive firearm. It was touted as a mature design with incredible modular capabilities with an abundance of conversion parts at a price that was going to be well within most budgets. Here we are four or so years later and none of the promises have been fulfilled.

I wonder how many companies have used the "announce & tease" method as a way to test a product's consumer interest. Announce and advertise it as coming soon.  If customers and dealers start calling asking for delivery dates, the firearm gets produced. If nobody calls, or customer inquiries are minimal, the item is cancelled.

Quoted:

That's a nice change. For many years Ruger was pretty much the tease leader in announcing new firearms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ruger has been really good about this the past couple of years... When they make an announcement, you can literally go on-line and buy one right then and there. It's probably the best marketing and product release integration on the market right now.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Kentucky Gun Co posted a new video about the rifle and doing a small torture test.  Not too thrilled about the 8-9LB trigger.  Mine should be in this Tuesday, we'll see how it compares.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjsTJvlGV9k

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I just watched the video.  I had my fingers crossed but to no avail.  I guess I don't know why he thought the rifle would work once the upper was full of crud.  You can actually hear the bolt carrier rasping back and forth in there after he pulls it out of the puddle!

Regarding the trigger; mine is actually quite usable as-is.  It had a little catch about halfway through when I first took the rifle out of the box but some dry firing and some Brian Enos Slide Glide cleaned it right up.  I haven't put a gauge on it but it isn't anything worse than most AR's out there.  Also, the internals are standard AR so a Geissele or a CMC or any suitable match trigger should really do the trick if you're not happy with the factory pull.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#50]
I wonder if they clean the gun after this or just sell it as is?

Quoted:
Kentucky Gun Co posted a new video about the rifle and doing a small torture test.  Not too thrilled about the 8-9LB trigger.  Mine should be in this Tuesday, we'll see how it compares.  

View Quote

Page / 9
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top