Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2013 3:11:34 PM EDT
Have we done a 'Show us your side charging AR' yet?

Show em off.  

I'm thinking about a side charging 8" 300 Blackout build next.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that a REPR?
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Dammit! I came to post that!

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's a shitty picture o a beautiful rifle I haven't even had a chance to shoot yet.

6.5 Grendel

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

There is always room for more than one REPR

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 12:25:11 AM EDT
[#7]
My side charger

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 3:05:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Drop in side charging handle. I use subsonic. 223 (titegroup under 55gr) that won't cycle the action. This is
the solution.  Bolt action AR.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 3:07:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/sabre_AR2.jpg
Drop in side charging handle. I use subsonic. 223 (titegroup under 55gr) that won't cycle the action. This is
View Quote

Tell me more about this set up.  Did you make it yourself or buy it?  If you bought it where?
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Did someone say 8.5 inch 300blk side charging pistol?

I love this gun.  I shoot left handed, and with the side charger, I get very little gas blowback in my face, unlike standard ar's.
It's a LAR OPS-4 side charging upper.  A cheap no-name 300blk barrel, and YHM QD flash hider.  This pistol is amazingly quiet suppressed.

I also have another OPS-4 side charging upper and a 8.5 Noveske barrel currently at Liberty Suppressors getting the Leonidas integral suppressor setup.  Can't wait to get that one back.

My father has  a 16 inch 300 blk, also with a side charger.  He decided he just wanted a straight pull bolt action, so we just put a gas block on backwards, and now he has a VERY quiet 300blk straight pull.  He also has a JP Silent captured recoil spring, and it really quiets the action noise.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#11]
my left hand charge  LAR  build  

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#12]
and a right hand build.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:19:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Tell me more about this set up.  Did you make it yourself or buy it?  If you bought it where?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.gfgear.com/charging-handles/ar-15/gfg-side-charger

I think it's a little pricey myself, but there's enough people willing to buy one at that price because there's a 6 week backorder.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:29:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think it's a little pricey myself, but there's enough people willing to buy one at that price because there's a 6 week backorder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He does a group buy discount, 5 @ $100 each IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is my 10.5" 300BLK built with an ASA side charge upper.  I went this route so that I could use a 3 position gas block with one of hte settings being no gas.  It allows me to shoot as quietly as possible and then manually cycle the bolt.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Nice looking setup.  Would like some more info on it please.  What lower, upper, and rail are those?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:15:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Are there any lowers out there that blend better with the ASA side charging upper?
Especially back where the buffer tube screws in.
I’m surprised American Spirit Arms doesn’t offer their own lower that matches.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are there any lowers out there that blend better with the ASA side charging upper?
Especially back where the buffer tube screws in.
I’m surprised American Spirit Arms doesn’t offer their own lower that matches.
View Quote

The Mega billet H series would be the closest that I'm aware of.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm looking to do a blackout sbr build and I'm strongly considering the ASA upper. I'm just a little uncomfortable spending a $500 on an upper/bcg. It seems like the better choice considering I want to suppress it though and the LAR has blowback issues.

Ever since I shot my REPR I've been in love with side chargers... Good thread
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm looking to do a blackout sbr build and I'm strongly considering the ASA upper. I'm just a little uncomfortable spending a $500 on an upper/bcg. It seems like the better choice considering I want to suppress it though and the LAR has blowback issues.

Ever since I shot my REPR I've been in love with side chargers... Good thread
View Quote

What blowback issues does the LAR have?  I shoot my right side charging LAR-OPS-4 left handed, and have no issues at all with blowback.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#21]
now that's pimping ..   money well spent
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nice looking setup.  Would like some more info on it please.  What lower, upper, and rail are those?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

LWRC REPR Mjolnir edition given the burnt bronze treatment. It's a 14.5" 7.62 and only 25 were ever made... slick as hell.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Interesting, I've heard that the left sided charging handle shot right handed gave the operator a mouthful of gas when suppressed.

Your testament is exactly what I'm looking for though. I like still being able to have the forward assist through the handle, especially considering I might want to hunt with it and might need to soft chamber a round. Anybody else's shoot one? Are you shooting yours suppressed?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#24]
http://thorneparker.com/graniteroom/faxon300-a.jpg

And Faxon Firearms can put the charging handle on either side and they can change where it ejects the brass too.    But, more important than that is the accuracy and lack of recoil.  Yes, very happy with Faxon Firearms!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
http://thorneparker.com/graniteroom/faxon300-a.jpg

And Faxon Firearms can put the charging handle on either side and they can change where it ejects the brass too.    But, more important than that is the accuracy and lack of recoil.  Yes, very happy with Faxon Firearms!
View Quote

Am I seeing this correctly?  Is it set up to charge like a HK91?  Sweet.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Interesting, I've heard that the left sided charging handle shot right handed gave the operator a mouthful of gas when suppressed.

Your testament is exactly what I'm looking for though. I like still being able to have the forward assist through the handle, especially considering I might want to hunt with it and might need to soft chamber a round. Anybody else's shoot one? Are you shooting yours suppressed?
View Quote

Yup, shoot it mostly suppressed, and it's quite nice.  the forward assist use of the handle was a big benefit to me for hunting as well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yup, shoot it mostly suppressed, and it's quite nice.  the forward assist use of the handle was a big benefit to me for hunting as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm. Well I put the ASA on order. I might just get a LAR for a different rifle too. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:36:36 AM EDT
[#28]
for the right handed people, with left side charging, and shooting suppressed: how is the gas blow back?  I have wanted to build one like that but been afraid of a face full of gas.

also anychance anyone in that config is running 300 blackout? would that make a difference?
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:17:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
for the right handed people, with left side charging, and shooting suppressed: how is the gas blow back?  I have wanted to build one like that but been afraid of a face full of gas.

also anychance anyone in that config is running 300 blackout? would that make a difference?
View Quote

I've got the American spirit arms upper left hand charging handle on order for a 300AAC build. The handle on the Asa doesnt cycle when firing unlike the LAR grizzly. To me it sounds like the better design, albeit more expensive. But you lose forward assist capabilities.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:25:43 AM EDT
[#30]
338 Spectre

It's a Rohg Arms Black Viper upper with a DPMS 6.8spc bolt. The handguard is a Seekins SAR-12

</a>" />
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Which upper receiver/bolt is this?
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I've got ol' blue here:

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:10:20 AM EDT
[#34]

My 6.8 with Asa side charger
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#35]
The 338 Specter above:

It's a Rohg Arms Black Viper upper with a DPMS 6.8spc bolt. The handguard is a Seekins SAR-12
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 8:55:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've got the American spirit arms upper left hand charging handle on order for a 300AAC build. The handle on the Asa doesnt cycle when firing unlike the LAR grizzly. To me it sounds like the better design, albeit more expensive. But you lose forward assist capabilities.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

any one have a 300blackout with a left side CH?
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#37]
That ARAK 21 is a thing of beauty...I just ordered one for myself!
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 3:54:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Am I a thread killer now?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 6:51:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Not mine but hopefully one day

Ice arms Nameless

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not mine but hopefully one day

Ice arms Nameless

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag85/ICEArms1/DSC_0066_zps7845e0c0.jpg
View Quote

Make mine in a 20" 6.5 Grendel please.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#42]
JP LRP 07
JP SCR-11

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#43]
im a lefty so I got the mega upper and y/m nm bcg with side charger, works like a charm and no blowback in my face.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

any one have a 300blackout with a left side CH?
View Quote

im building one now, its gonna look similar to my pistol above^
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I have a couple...I love these rifles!!!!

ASA .308 and a Mega 5.56 build.

Link Posted: 9/27/2013 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#46]

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201767588782659&set=oa.293187937449243&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4688078971161&set=oa.293187937449243&type=3&theater
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#47]

This is My ASA 308 Side Charger. Did a little Review on it: http://www.molonlabe.com/asa308.html  I have had it for years, This would be one of the last guns I would sell if I ever had to start liquidating them off.

I have a few other ASA uppers I have used for Various Builds: 223 with a Lothar 22" Bull Barrel in 223 Match (15lb Led Sled), 9mm SBR with integral Suppressor, and I have 1 other I have trying to figure out what to do with it....been debating about either using it on a 22lr build or a 300 blackout build.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top