Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2013 11:31:50 AM EDT
I know this is not the reloading board, but I thought I would mention this in here since most people come in here asking about 30 Rem. AR ............ and more importantly, to let other 30RAR owners know about this.

Last Wednesday I was on 'a large mail order company's website', I'll leave them nameless since I'm not sure if they are a board sponsor.  On their website was listed 30RAR brass in 100, 500 & 1000 count FOR SALE.  With that being said, I just rechecked their website and they are sold out on 1000ct (for whatever reason since the 500ct is bulk packed as well).

I wanted to wait until I had it in hand before I posted this, just to make sure it wasn't an error.

Obviously Santa Claus was dressed in a USPS uniform today.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/Ranger391v/AR/IMG_1981_zps6c2ba16a.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/Ranger391v/AR/IMG_1983_zpsb6d79f54.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/Ranger391v/AR/IMG_1985_zpsa7144ad6.jpg

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#2]
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How did I miss this??? I just happened to check availability and it is out until next month. I'll be making a big purchase when it comes back in stock! Heck yeah!
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 5:46:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Question for the guys that have a 30 Rem AR. What mags will feed this round reliably?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 6:42:48 AM EDT
[#4]
A buddy in our hunting club has one and we have run it thru pmags, GI and lancers. it is the same brass basically as the 450Bushmaster so it will single stack in the mags.

Sometimes the feedlips on the mags can really gouge the brass.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 8:47:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A buddy in our hunting club has one and we have run it thru pmags, GI and lancers. it is the same brass basically as the 450Bushmaster so it will single stack in the mags.

It's nothing like 450 Bushmaster brass.....other than being brass....

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's nothing like 450 Bushmaster brass.....other than being brass....

It has the same diameter body but a slightly larger rim and a bottle neck. The body diameter should make them stack in the mag the same way.
I know they made 450 BM mags and it seems like followers to convert 5.56 mags but my question was for those guys that have actually used them and know what works and what does not.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#7]
The body of the brass is pretty much the same as the 450B as far as riding in the mag. I ran my 450b without the single shot sled follower and had no issues. The one example of Remingtons upper we shot at the club had no issues using any 5-10-20 rnd mags(actually held 2-5-10rnds), but some 30 round mags did have issues when loaded to capacity, sometimes, sometimes not, due to the single stack and case taper, LOL
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The body of the brass is pretty much the same as the 450B as far as riding in the mag. I ran my 450b without the single shot sled follower and had no issues. The one example of Remingtons upper we shot at the club had no issues using any 5-10-20 rnd mags(actually held 2-5-10rnds), but some 30 round mags did have issues when loaded to capacity, sometimes, sometimes not, due to the single stack and case taper, LOL

Thanks.
Does the 30RAR have a single wide feed ramp or 2? If 2 how does that work out with the single center feed?
Just curious, the brass size has potential to be a good wildcat base if there are mags and everything else to make it work PROPERLY.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#9]
It has a single feedramp in the extension. I never had any issues with feeding on the 450 or when we checked out the 30RAR upper, No issues when used with a M4 feedramp lower.

Great wildcat potential, I know of at least 1 set of 30rar reamers being cut(the smith is calling it a 30ARAI) and 3 Krieger 1:17 barrels ordered for hunter bench rest comps.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Does the 30RAR have a single wide feed ramp or 2? If 2 how does that work out with the single center feed?
Just curious, the brass size has potential to be a good wildcat base if there are mags and everything else to make it work PROPERLY.

It depends what revision barrel/extension you get....there were three (3) distinct feedramp configurations that I know of....

(2) two different two ramp configurations (set at different angles)
(1) one single ramp configuration offset to the left...
Both by dpms/rem

There is actually a fourth, but by a different manufacturer.....

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Going to keep an eye on this as well. I really would like to build an upper in this round.. I know it's going to be a pain, but now that brass is available, maybe.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I figured the blacktips should fly pretty good out of the 30RAR, next to a 300blk(headed to recycle bin, overzealous with the crimp)
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 4:53:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I figured the blacktips should fly pretty good out of the 30RAR, next to a 300blk(headed to recycle bin, overzealous with the crimp)
<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/talonxracer/media/30rarvrs300blk_zps1b16d04e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/30rarvrs300blk_zps1b16d04e.jpg</a>

Improved chamber 30RAR, 1:12 twist, 20" barrel....the black tips run at  ~3,000 fps...some of the thinner skinned bullets like  BIB, 10X, some of the Hornady and Sierra can be pushed a little over 3,000.....

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 5:48:06 AM EDT
[#14]
remind me again why this round is pretty much DOA?

You think Remington would have learned their lesson with the 6.8.

7.62x40-

How well does this round do from a shorter barrel ~10-12"?
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

7.62x40-

How well does this round do from a shorter barrel ~10-12"?

There are a couple guys I know of running ~11" barrels suppressed....not in a sub-sonic role, just for super-sonic hearing comfort....it does quite well with the 150gr factory load....for hunting and the like.....IIRC, they're clocking ~2,200fps...in comparison, out of a 20" they clock right at 2,500fps...

It's a capacity game...once you start cutting the barrel back the 10 or 12gr advantage starts to fade a little compared to something like a 30 Grendel....

I would of rather seen the RAR in a 35 or 37 caliber over the 30....the 16" performance is stellar compared to things like the venerable 35 Remington....

There is still a good bit of misunderstanding on the cartridge and chamber comparing to other cartridges....and I guess until people lay a caliper on both it will continue....probably a mute point as conversations with Remington and DPMS don't show it on either production schedules.....I'm just guessing from seeing the bulk, unpackaged brass is to deplete inventories.....although I wish they would continue production of parts, as I have three additional wildcats I would like to do  to go along with the four we've already done....

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd be interested in the upper receiver, barrel extension, bolt, and magazines.

This caliber actually does make sense for a hunting AR15.  6.5mm, .277", 7mm, .358" wildcats all make a ton of sense to me.  The bolt will handle pressures that no .222 Remington-sized bolt can with larger case heads.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd be interested in the upper receiver, barrel extension, bolt, and magazines.

This caliber actually does make sense for a hunting AR15.  6.5mm, .277", 7mm, .358" wildcats all make a ton of sense to me.  The bolt will handle pressures that no .222 Remington-sized bolt can with larger case heads.

Agreed +1

it still uses that funny side feed magazine....I think I understand why they did it, so the bottom center lug doesn't have to be fully removed - just kinda jumps the cartridge over to the left of it and still maintain a little lug....

I've run a few different renditions using the dedicated 450 Bushmaster mags, with the centering guides in the mag and sled type follower...using the left offset extension and works ok....I just like the Bushmaster mag over the Remington, but it is nice having a little meat in the bottom of the extension...the Bushmaster mag also works quite well with the SOCOM....but then again you can make a side feed SOCOM and pick up a little more bottom lug with the Remington mag....

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#18]

New ammo and brass is being manufactured, I just got some, but the only response about uppers that I have received is that they are temporarily unavailable.

I will be using the round for deer this fall in the Encore shooting the Barnes 130g TTSX

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Talonxracor, Who did your Encore barrel or do you have it yet? I've ben thinking about an Encore pistol barrel. As soon as i can find a barrel lug i'll make my own.
Link Posted: 6/15/2013 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#20]
This round must not be dead yet, i see Remington is coming out with a Hog hammer round loaded with a Barnes tripleshock.

I forgot to mention, It's 125 grn. Should be bad news for deer too!
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 1:09:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Has anyone seen any uppers in this? I was on the look out for so long & gave up thinking it was a dead end cartridge.

Since then I've bought into a DD 6.8 upper for my hunting this year. Still kinda want the .30 RAR though, but it may be one of those reloader type rounds that are no longer offered in current guns.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 3:55:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

.....Has anyone seen any uppers in this? ........

You'll see uppers and complete rifles pop up on Gunbroker.com from time to time.....

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top