Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/12/2013 4:11:39 PM EDT
Knock on my door and it's my neighbor with a new toy to show. He just got a S&W M&P '10' 7.62x51. I went nuts over it, mainly because it has a lightweight barrel and handles great. He got it for $1300 in a special offering to police, fire and EMS. He bought an Aimpoint red dot for it, which I thought was odd. I would want at least a 4x scope on a .308. From what I could tell, build quality was excellent. Receivers mated perfectly with no slop. Decent trigger for a standard parts kit. Finish looked fine. Overall the rifle is simply tight. It will be great after a few rounds. I would take this over any M1A, PSL, G3 or any other .30 cal self loader that I know of. That's because I'm used to the AR platform and it's inherent accuracy and reliability. Man, I'm talking myself into a .308 AR and I really don't want to get into another caliber.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:36:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I sure would like to know more about the special offering for Police, Fire, and EMS. I'd like to have one of these!
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I sure would like to know more about the special offering for Police, Fire, and EMS. I'd like to have one of these!

Same here!!

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#3]
They just released the rifles to military and police personnel first before releasing the civilian models is all. So you have to be military or police in order to get one right now, or buy one from someone who has one. My local store that had them sold out in a day and a half I believe. They were the only store to have them in this area that I know of, unless the p/x had some on post also.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#4]

What he said..... but ours were closer to $1800.  Not sure if thats dealer inflation on my end or exaggeration on the OPs neighbors end.

Quoted:
They just released the rifles to military and police personnel first before releasing the civilian models is all. So you have to be military or police in order to get one right now, or buy one from someone who has one. My local store that had them sold out in a day and a half I believe. They were the only store to have them in this area that I know of, unless the p/x had some on post also.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I just saw this on S&W website. This is awesome. I must have one

I am new to the AR10/308 platform. I looked into them a while ago and I seem to remember there are basically 2 versions that are out there (I think DPMS and Armalite?). The rest are clones. Does that sound right?

What version would the S&W be? Would it accept the AR10 PMags?

Also, Is there anybody who has shot it yet? I am really interested if it is 1MOA or better out of the box.

If it is not...How hard would it be to put a match barrel and FF hand guard on this (Are there parts available that would do this?)
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Knock on my door and it's my neighbor with a new toy to show. He just got a S&W M&P '10' 7.62x51. I went nuts over it, mainly because it has a lightweight barrel and handles great. He got it for $1300 in a special offering to police, fire and EMS. He bought an Aimpoint red dot for it, which I thought was odd. I would want at least a 4x scope on a .308. From what I could tell, build quality was excellent. Receivers mated perfectly with no slop. Decent trigger for a standard parts kit. Finish looked fine. Overall the rifle is simply tight. It will be great after a few rounds. I would take this over any M1A, PSL, G3 or any other .30 cal self loader that I know of. That's because I'm used to the AR platform and it's inherent accuracy and reliability. Man, I'm talking myself into a .308 AR and I really don't want to get into another caliber.

You would take a new model from a not very well liked AR line over an m1a, g3 and other proven battle rifles?

You're a special kinda crazy.

Bev
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I've shot mine enough i suppose. i can't tell you whether it's 1moathe out of the box or not though. but i generally hit what I'm aiming at.

here's my target from yesterday when i was sighting in my scope i just had fixed. the bottom two are browm bear ammo because i was trying to see if there was an accuracy difference between brown bear and the sellior and bellot that i normally use as i like it a lot. as you can see, there's a pretty good difference. i pulled a couple of the s&b ones because i got too excited but oh well. they're all 3 shot groups. either way, the hog hunt I'm going on this weekend should be pretty fun if the hogs show up.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/dakang3/2013-02-13_11-57-28_273_zps110d492e.jpg

and the rifle as it looks for now
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/dakang3/2013-02-13_11-49-56_790_zps9c6f63ff.jpg
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't put these into a military and law enforcement class at all.

A pencil barrel unless it has magic powers means that double taps or sustained fire is likely to be sub 2 moa and then some.

For a hunter the included ambi slector and ambi mag release are nice and the integrated trigger guard. But the clamp on gas block is not ideal.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've shot mine enough i suppose. i can't tell you whether it's 1moathe out of the box or not though. but i generally hit what I'm aiming at.

here's my target from yesterday when i was sighting in my scope i just had fixed. the bottom two are browm bear ammo because i was trying to see if there was an accuracy difference between brown bear and the sellior and bellot that i normally use as i like it a lot. as you can see, there's a pretty good difference. i pulled a couple of the s&b ones because i got too excited but oh well. they're all 3 shot groups. either way, the hog hunt I'm going on this weekend should be pretty fun if the hogs show up.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/dakang3/2013-02-13_11-57-28_273_zps110d492e.jpg

and the rifle as it looks for now
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/dakang3/2013-02-13_11-49-56_790_zps9c6f63ff.jpg

I would take those groups. Are those 1" squares and you were at 100yards? I turned down a FAL a guy I know is selling because it seems like most people are getting about 2MOA out of it. I like to push the limits of range on my guns so it is important to me that a rifle at least starts out at 1MOA. Thanks for the write up. That was very useful. Now I just need to find one.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#10]
What's wrong with the clamp on gas blocks?

Quoted:

A pencil barrel unless it has magic powers means that double taps or sustained fire is likely to be sub 2 moa and then some.

For a hunter the included ambi slector and ambi mag release are nice and the integrated trigger guard. But the clamp on gas block is not ideal.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#11]
My guess is that it is somewhat bulky.  It appears to be rail height, but you can't run a Magpul MBUS on it due to heat.

I'd rather see a version with a lo-profile gas block and some sort of free-float rail that allows the user to install small rail sections.
That said, I very much appauld S&W for bringing this to market and it is on my short list once things calm down.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 6:18:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd rather see a version with a lo-profile gas block and some sort of free-float rail that allows the user to install small rail sections.
That said, I very much appauld S&W for bringing this to market and it is on my short list once things calm down.

see this thread. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/603457_GRG_308_handguards.html
just got mine.  much happier with it than the dpms rail.  and you can ad remove the sections you don't need.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What's wrong with the clamp on gas blocks?

Quoted:

The clamp on gas blocks are less durable. They can be knocked out of position by an impact or loosen and slide under recoil. That said, many people have used them with not issues but a pinned GB is preferable for durability.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My guess is that it is somewhat bulky.  It appears to be rail height, but you can't run a Magpul MBUS on it due to heat.

It's on my short list as well.  I also am not thrilled about the clamp-on rail GB, so I will weigh the costs/options of having it reinstalled by a gunsmith to ensure it's solid.  Call me nuts, but I'd prefer an A2 FSB.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#15]
http://www.atlantictactical.com
just got mine for $1100 with police and fire discount.
just send them your I.D. and they will auth you to buy what ever you would like that says L.E. ( Accept FHN stuff)
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 8:03:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Got Mine for $999 because i forwent the included Aimpoint PRO that was included at 1399 L.E. deal ....  and for that price I will Never have any complaints about this rifle...  I only have 40 rounds thru it...  with the groups at 150 yards with flip ups ... I can tell you this thing is gonna be potent once i decide on an optic...
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just saw this on S&W website. This is awesome. I must have one

I am new to the AR10/308 platform. I looked into them a while ago and I seem to remember there are basically 2 versions that are out there (I think DPMS and Armalite?). The rest are clones. Does that sound right?

What version would the S&W be? Would it accept the AR10 PMags?

Also, Is there anybody who has shot it yet? I am really interested if it is 1MOA or better out of the box.

If it is not...How hard would it be to put a match barrel and FF hand guard on this (Are there parts available that would do this?)

It will accept the Pmags   Just got 5 of them.....  It also takes the Low profile Troy FF rails  with DPMS style barrel nut and a low profile gas block...
I dont have  scope yet   but can almost tell you with certainty that is 1MOA
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top